Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 15:22   #1

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38
Sailing Gloves

Until last weekend I learned again why sailing gloves are not just for wimps. Out on Chesapeake Bay I had 30+ knots of apparent wind. While trying to roll in a little more of the genny the furling line got away from me. The line ran through my hand, some skin went up in smoke, some was just carried away.

I say re-learned because some years ago the tack line for my spinnaker got away from me and did the same sort of damage.

When it gets woolly out I'll wear gloves.
KestrelBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 15:34   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Sailing gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelBuck View Post
Until last weekend I learned again why sailing gloves are not just for wimps. Out on Chesapeake Bay I had 30+ knots of apparent wind. While trying to roll in a little more of the genny the furling line got away from me. The line ran through my hand, some skin went up in smoke, some was just carried away.

I say re-learned because some years ago the tack line for my spinnaker got away from me and did the same sort of damage.

When it gets woolly out I'll wear gloves.

I just always have them on. I AM a wimp and I prefer my skin on my hands and not on a sheet. I have found that I am able to pull, and even winch, considearably harder, with gloves on.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 15:41   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i wear gloves with a leather palm so i can actually handle lines. mine are gill i found on sale
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 16:03   #4

Boat: San Juan 28

I wear these and love them. The black magic material grips very very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2564.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	32800  
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 16:56   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
I wear these and love them. The black magic material grips very very well.

I've never used gloves with finger tips on them. Don't they interfere with your manual dexterity?
Old 20-10-2011, 17:00   #6

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We now have a trawler and I still have my sailing gloves. They are very helpful in any line handling especially when locking through Lake Okeechobee.
Old 20-10-2011, 17:09   #7

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

when the line starts running through you hands...let go or grab tight...

After 50 years working/pleasuring on almost every boat imaginable..the last 10 as a pro captain both sail and power..plus all things mechanical...I've never found a situation where gloves were a help versus a hinderance. Except for picking up hot things...

My desk bound, weekend warrior boating friends wear them...none of my cruising friends do. Plus all my aviation safety training showed me some horrific accidents that were caused by gloves snagging.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 17:47   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I've never used gloves with finger tips on them. Don't they interfere with your manual dexterity?
No, not if the thumb and index finger are clipped, like in the photo. I always use 3-finger gloves (had no-finger gloves a few times, but never liked them as well.
Old 20-10-2011, 17:54   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

After 50 years working/pleasuring on almost every boat imaginable..the last 10 as a pro captain both sail and power..plus all things mechanical...I've never found a situation where gloves were a help versus a hinderance. Except for picking up hot things...

My desk bound, weekend warrior boating friends wear them...none of my cruising friends do. Plus all my aviation safety training showed me some horrific accidents that were caused by gloves snagging.
Oh no. This is going to turn into one of those boxer vs. briefs fights. Even OSHA can't decide sometimes.

I can say this much; if your fingers have not been damaged by wear and tear by this age you are very fortunate. I have accumulated many micro-traumas thought years of use and abuse (refinery work and rock climbing) and I cannot function without the protection afforded by gloves. Others are more fortunate in their choice of parents (DNA).

As for snagging, you simply can't be careless around a winch or windlass. Duh.
Old 20-10-2011, 18:01   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
No, not if the thumb and index finger are clipped, like in the photo. I always use 3-finger gloves (had no-finger gloves a few times, but never liked them as well.
Ditto! I found I was getting a hard callus right at the edge of the leather. I've gone to the full finger and never gone back. And you can still burn the tips of those three fingers. The index and thumb doesn't seem to get the heat.

One more thing. If it's a bit cold and even if they are wet they still keep your hands warm.
Old 20-10-2011, 18:13   #11

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Ditto! I found I was getting a hard callus right at the edge of the leather. I've gone to the full finger and never gone back. And you can still burn the tips of those three fingers. The index and thumb doesn't seem to get the heat.
One more thing. If it's a bit cold and even if they are wet they still keep your hands warm

Oooops..forgot...the other good reason to wear gloves...hate it when your hands feel like catcher's mitts...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 18:29   #12
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Sailing Gloves

wuzzies
Old 20-10-2011, 20:01   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Bottom line for me is that I'm considerably stronger with gloves on. I've found that women wear them more than men. I remember shaking hands with a club member shortly after I started sailing again. His hands were SO calloused. I would never want my hands to feel like that.
Old 20-10-2011, 21:18   #14

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We use kayaking gloves with no finger tips and leather palms sence we had them from sea kayaking before we got our sailboat. I didn't use them one time this year and in a thunder storm burnt my hand on the main sheet when a big gust hit and I let it go, there was no time to open my hand fast enough to not get rope burn. On light air days in hot weather I don't use gloves.
Old 20-10-2011, 21:23   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have reynaud's disease and i use the gloves to help me keep strength in my hands. never caught anything with em. have worn for over 10,000 miles, and they look it. no i do not race. i cruise. WITH my gill gloves.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing