Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2017, 08:53   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Proximity Sailing App for Cell Phone ... MO

I have scads of cell phones and all of them have GPS and Bluetooth.

Has anyone ever heard of a sailing App, that when a person is at the helm, with an "old" cell phone(with no cell service) and another cell phone inside the cabin(with a cell service plan) .... with the two phones in Bluetooth communications, that if the cell phone at the helm loses contact with the cell phone in the cabin .... that the cell phone with service will call a predetermined cell phone number with a pre-recorded message, along with the cell phone's GPS location?

It would seem like a nifty idea, and if two people were on board, each could have their own cell phone Bluetooth channel(?).
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 10:56   #2

Re: Proximity Sailing App for Cell Phone ... MO

SURV69,

I know of no such app, although there are bluetooth devices that give that kind of alert.

I think you are making your app spec a bit overly complex.

I'd buy one in a minute, and all it would need is a bluetooth poll of all the cellphones on the crew list... if one did not answer, sound a local alarm, and note a GPS position. If each phone on board polled all the others on board, no matter who went overboard, you'd know in a very short time.

The external call isn't much help to me since I mostly sail far as far away from cell phone signals as possible!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone, phone, sail, sailing