Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 07:08   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Medical Emergencies at Remote Cruising Destinations

I dont carry an AED.

The other day, I was at a Marina sat away from my vessel, and a guy went all dizzy and fainted. We fixed him up and he was fine.

I postulated: what if he had arrested?

I walked back to my boat from that point and it took 8 minutes. So running about 5 minutes. I then thought that it would not be me running for the AED.... I would be busy with the patient. So a stranger would be running, finding my boat, unlocking 4 doors, locating the bag and locking the outer door and then running back to the accident scene. Let us say 13-15 minutes....

When I sail, in the main its single handed. I will be far away from other people so if a call went out, it would take a lot of minutes to turn the vessel and head for the location.

So unless ALL circumstances are in your favour, logistics prove in the main that an AED in everyday life on a boat require close quarter incident and reaction to be effective.

I sail in the Med and am never more that 75 miles from a coast so a helicopter is always close.

My med kit is comprehensive. Enough for invasive procedures if required.

For the reasons stated above, the necessity of an AED is way down on the list. Everything is useful when it can be used at the right time, AND has the available after care required. I would perhaps get one if I sailed more regularly to remote places or with a crew....but even then, without after care....

Ive been eyeing a small concentrator for a while...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 07:14   #152
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I dont carry an AED.

The other day, I was at a Marina sat away from my vessel, and a guy went all dizzy and fainted. We fixed him up and he was fine.

I postulated: what if he had arrested?

I walked back to my boat from that point and it took 8 minutes. So running about 5 minutes. I then thought that it would not be me running for the AED.... I would be busy with the patient. So a stranger would be running, finding my boat, unlocking 4 doors, locating the bag and locking the outer door and then running back to the accident scene. Let us say 13-15 minutes....

When I sail, in the main its single handed. I will be far away from other people so if a call went out, it would take a lot of minutes to turn the vessel and head for the location.

So unless ALL circumstances are in your favour, logistics prove in the main that an AED in everyday life on a boat require close quarter incident and reaction to be effective.

I sail in the Med and am never more that 75 miles from a coast so a helicopter is always close.

My med kit is comprehensive. Enough for invasive procedures if required.

For the reasons stated above, the necessity of an AED is way down on the list. Everything is useful when it can be used at the right time, AND has the available after care required. I would perhaps get one if I sailed more regularly to remote places or with a crew....but even then, without after care....

Ive been eyeing a small concentrator for a while...
Gary,

You're describing a marina situation where you didn't respond with the AED in hand, when a guy just fainted. Having a major medical event on your boat while at a semi remote anchorage is quite a different matter, where one would need to be self sufficient until a medical team arrives which can take an hour or so.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 07:15   #153

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I don't know this particular product, but here's just one example: New Intelligent Portable Oxygen Concentrator Generator 24HOURS Home Health Care | eBay

Add a used high quality AED with a new battery for around $250, and you'll be all set. We have a Cardiac Science fully automatic AED onboard which includes audio instructions for CPR during an emergency.
I am certainly impressed by the concentrators. I was clearly behind the times wrt that particular piece of tech, as the market seems to have driven them down in price and size remarkably!

Still would have above an AED for sure, and consider bottle far from useless for the reasons above stated. New AEDs are still very pricey, and honestly I wouldn't spend even that on a refurb one at present (that once in 20,000 year thing...), but on a concentrator? Different matter. Thanks for the heads up!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 07:25   #154
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I am certainly impressed by the concentrators. I was clearly behind the times wrt that particular piece of tech, as the market seems to have driven them down in price and size remarkably!

Still would have above an AED for sure, and consider bottle far from useless for the reasons above stated. New AEDs are still very pricey, and honestly I wouldn't spend even that on a refurb one at present (that once in 20,000 year thing...), but on a concentrator? Different matter. Thanks for the heads up!
Maybe not here on an internet forum, but in real cruising life, we know of several couples who carry an AED onboard, including one who has successfully revived someone. And I don't want to even debate the quality of life, subsequent brain damage false argument, because the rescued victim was just fine following the event... and quite grateful I might add.

I guess AEDs are like parachutes... If you need one and don't have one, you probably won't need one again... in order to save that particular victim.

Or... why do sailors bother having a sea anchor or drogue on board? Most never need to use one. Or why the Life raft for that matter? There's three more examples of much more money spent on items which will hopefully.... never get used. Survival suits?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 07:36   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Gary,

You're describing a marina situation where you didn't respond with the AED in hand, when a guy just fainted. Having a major medical event on your boat while at a semi remote anchorage is quite a different matter, where one would need to be self sufficient until a medical team arrives which can take an hour or so.
Ken.
I addressed the situation and also stated that in the main I sail alone.

Have you ever tried to find your nose never mind the med kit when having a heart episode? Attaching one to self is difficile....

I think I said that I might have one if I sailed further afield AND with crew. But its not high on my list... its a wonderful tool for when its needed, but is rapidly becoming the "must have" device, and statistically, the least used.

I think I have used 4 epipens in the last 13 months.... and a crapload of antiseptic wipes along with sutures kits.

Im not against them. I just have not seen the absolute necessity of having one. Mrs kenomac, yourself and myself have the experience to deal with a primary issue without the unit. I cannot recall ever "needing" one in 40 years of boating. Im sure some kind pharmaceutical company will give me a unit in due course and it will go in the med kit.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 10:52   #156

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
My girlfriend stepped on a stingray a few days ago and wound up in the emergency room due to a severe reaction to the venom. There she was pumped full of steroids, Benadryl and morphine. Her foot was x-rayed and bandaged and then she was given prescriptions for Cipro and pain killers upon being discharged.

This REALLY got me thinking. Just before this happened, we had spent a day visiting a good friend who recently got back from an 8 year circumnavigation. My friend who was an avid diver said that he didn't dive much at all during his cruise because of medical issues associated with being bitten, stung, cut etc. In fact it didn't sound like he spent much time in the water at all.

So, what to do while cruising. I've read threads about medical supplies one should carry onboard including a debate on AEDs. I'm obviously no doctor but it seems the likelihood of death is REAL if for instance a person has a severe allergic reaction to a number of toxins one may encounter if not near a competent medial facility. Not to mention all the other bad stuff that can happen.

I'm curious if other cruisers avoid water activities while at remote locations.

Thanks...
The joke in the Australian Army back in the 80's was:

"Here's your first aid kit". Q store staff seargent hands me an old obviously second hand box of bandaids. "Where's the rest I ask". Staff seargent hands me a Browning 9mm. "Here's the other half of your remote area first aid kit."

The first step is to take a first aid course. Then you can decide if you want to learn more and become competent in remote area medicine.

Paramedics only need to keep a person alive for tens of minutes. While the cruiser has to deal with patients for days.

Grab a copy of one of the great combat medic handbooks. Many are available for for free these days. Decide what you can deal with and take the necessary kit.

Be aware, not scared and be prepared. Go have fun.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 15:05   #157

Boat: Cape Dory 33 Sloop

Can you please PM me with any particulars regarding the cruiser that you know of being revived at sea with an AED? I have been looking for a documented success story for years. Any information would be most appreciated.

www.medofficer.net
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 23:49   #158

Boat: Island Packet 40

Be fatalistic.

Stay out of the water.

Move slowly and carefully.

Always wear sandals when paddling.

Put brain in gear before feet into gear.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cruising, destination, enc, medical, remote