Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2021, 09:06   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Looking for a Doctor familiar with cruising

Try Cousin Jimmie in St Augustine, tell the receptionist to tell him I sent you, and offer to take him out on your boat.

https://doctor.webmd.com/doctor/jame...98e4b-overview
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:13   #17

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Hello all:

I'm looking for a doctor (General Practitioner) in the USA, preferably (but not necessarily) on the East coast of Florida, who is familiar with the cruising lifestyle.

I'm a Canadian citizen but no longer a resident, therefore I no longer have access to our Medical system. I do not have general health insurance in the USA, I only have calamity insurance, so I will be paying cash.

If any of you fit this description, or know of a doctor who does, please reply on the thread, or feel free to PM me.

Cheers, and thanks in advance.
Paul.
Paul,

Suggest you also ask if the doc can fax any scripts to the pharmacy of your choosing.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:34   #18

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Try Cousin Jimmie in St Augustine, tell the receptionist to tell him I sent you, and offer to take him out on your boat.

https://doctor.webmd.com/doctor/jame...98e4b-overview
I will call him. Thank you.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
Paul,

Suggest you also ask if the doc can fax any scripts to the pharmacy of your choosing.
I'll do that too. A friend suggested Walmart for prescriptions, as I can have the prescription transferred to any Walmart, nationwide. Which is helpful.

This thread is soon going to have to be upgraded to a sticky, for other nomads in the community.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:38   #20

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

[QUOTE=bensolomon;3517838]I am a licensed Pulmomary and critical care physician, and am familiar with the cruising life. We all help people out once in a while, but to accept a long term patient with little or no in person interaction is difficult because it is hard to render good treatment.

Perhaps if you find an internal medicine office with telemedicine capabilities, you will have better luck. Most likely, you will have to go to that office for the initial visit to establish yourself as a patient and then they can follow you up with telemedicine.

The state issue is less relevant. I can write a prescription for anyone in any state. This includes diagnostic tests, as well. The physical practice is State specific. In other words, I can only open an office or work in a hospital in those States in which I have a license, but if I give somebody a prescription in Pennsylvania and they travel to Florida they can still fill the prescription or get the diagnostic test in their home state.

Ben[/QUOTE

True but not for any controlled substances. While any MD can prescribe most pharmacies can not fill any controlled substance unless submitted by a State licensed Physician. Chronic pain no longer exists in most states these days.

Consider using a large chain pharmacy like Walmart or CVS to fill your scrips. Wally World is everywhere and seems to be able to fill my scrips no matter what State I am in.

I use my PCP in Maine (he's a family medicine practitioner) and can get non controlled meds anywhere in the States that he prescribes.

Find a Internal medicine or family medicine Doctor that you can meet with and do follow ups with telemedicine.

Having an open chart system like MyChart is also very helpful if you need any care outside your PCP.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 06:41   #21
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

I am a physician in Daytona Beach. I can help you through contacts at the Halifax River Yacht Club if you are interested.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 07:41   #22

Thanks for your reply. I've sent you a PM.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 20-11-2021, 05:01   #23

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I think we're confusing provision of care with competency. The swing to telehealth and telemedicine is one of the silver linings of COVID. It works great for most things - not everything. For competency, I think the search term you are looking for is "adventure medicine."

I've used West Street Medical in Annapolis MD for consulting on first aid kits and to provide a speaker for rendezvous I organized. I have no basis for recommending them or not from any other experience. They are an example of the sort of practice that is used to dealing with people who crop up nearly anywhere and need to be more self-sufficient than the average patient.

I think some of the specific provider recommendations you've had here look promising. Best wishes.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 05:10   #24

Auspicious.

Indeed, telehealth is going to be a boon for cruisers, and adventurers in general. I agree 100%.

I'm in contact with two of the people suggested on this thread, and things look promising. I'll let the forum know how things turn out.

If others have solutions to the problems of healthcare for "adventurers", it would be nice if they posted it here.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
cruising