Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 06:57   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
I Just Quit Smoking! I May Be Going Crazy

Hi all,

3 weeks ago, I left on a 2 week trip to the Keys and I left my cigarettes at home. I was going on the trip with non-smokers, who knew I was wanting to quite, so they agreed to be understanding and supportive. The first couple of days was a little nervous but realy went well. I did not have the option to smoke so I was able to put it completely out of my head.
When we went into port, I was able to buy cigarettes if I wanted them, and I did want them, but I didn't buy them as I knew I would have to start the whole process over again if I caved, so I managed to stay clean for the 2 weeks that I was out on the boat without to many pangs of craving.
Now that I am back at home, after 3 weeks of not smoking, I am having a harder time then I had the first 3 weeks. My wife smokes, and she also want's to quit but does't seem to want it that bad. She has tried to not smoke in front of me but I can smell it everywhere now. I still haven't given in, I still have not smoked but I have actually woke up in the middle of the night dreaming that I was smoking a cig. I know that I have been a little on edge around my wife, but it seems to be getting harder instead of easier.
I am wondering if any others have gone through this, and what have they done. I am also hoping to get some feed back on how I can convince the better half of me to also quite and what method you used to quite was.
I quite cold turkey. I realy haven't had that much trouble with it until now, 3 weeks later. Has anyone else had the same experiences?

Thanks
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:03   #2

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: I Just Quit Smoking!!! I May Be Going Crazy.

GOOD HEALTH TO YOU!!! May you live long without problems brought about by smoking!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:09   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 33

After smoking for 28 years, I quit along with my wife almost 3 years ago. For us, it took Chantix to do it, and it was well worth it.

Keep with it. It's tough, but I assume it has to be easier than dying with emphysema.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:15   #4

It's the best way to quit. Period. You can't smoke'm if you don't got'm.
For me it's over 10 years and I haven't looked back once.

Enjoy your friends, avoid idle time, and you wont regret it.
harmonytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19   #5

I tried Chantix 3 years ago, It did stop my craving for cig's, but the dreams I was having were completely crazy, I did not even know about that side effect when I started the process. After a couple of weeks of taking Chantix I had to stop, as the dream side effect was to much for me to handle.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:23   #6

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

congratulations!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:24   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I don't understand your problem. For me to quit smoking was very easy. So easy that I did it at least 8-10 times. The hard part, as you have discovered, is to stay quit.

Getting over the nicotine habit was much easier for me than getting over the smoking habit. It took a couple of years but finally got to the point where I had no urge and then got to the point where I could not even bear to smell the smoke. I hear that there is nothing worse than a reformed smoker and guess I fall into that category.

Just takes will power and perseverance. Keep it up, you will be very glad you did.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I don't understand your problem. For me to quit smoking was very easy. So easy that I did it at least 8-10 times. The hard part, as you have discovered, is to stay quit.

Getting over the nicotine habit was much easier for me than getting over the smoking habit. It took a couple of years but finally got to the point where I had no urge and then got to the point where I could not even bear to smell the smoke. I hear that there is nothing worse than a reformed smoker and guess I fall into that category.

Just takes will power and perseverance. Keep it up, you will be very glad you did.

But did you have a partner that smoked? If not, then it wasn't a fair comparison. It is hard to quit and be around someone constantly who smokes.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:35   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Congrats so far. Three weeks is good, but you're not out of the danger zone yet. Hang in there. Like Skipmac said, staying quit is the hard part.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:38   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Congratulations. I have now been off smoking for over 22 yrs. Smoked for 35 yrs. Honestly it was the hardest but most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life. Just keep reminding yourself that it is the first cigarette/cigar/pipe/whatever that will get you back smoking. Do something for yourself. Walk, run, ride a bike. Start clearing out your body and lungs. Keeping a journal is good. And if you are so inclined there is "Smokers Anonymous".

Actually you are never out of the danger zone. One smoke is all it takes. If you are addicted you are powerless over your addiction if you don't stay away from that first smoke.

All the best to you...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:38   #11

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I tried Chantix 3 years ago, It did stop my craving for cig's, but the dreams I was having were completely crazy, I did not even know about that side effect when I started the process. After a couple of weeks of taking Chantix I had to stop, as the dream side effect was to much for me to handle.
Yeah it was hard drug.

We had to quit using it after 4 weeks. I got to the point where I was losing track of reality between my dreams and my waking life. Really bizarre and hard to handle, but it knocked the desire for a cigarette right out of me.

For me, I needed to quite no matter what it took. Now we are able to save the money not spent on cigarettes and put it towards the boat and cruising kitty.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:43   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Do something for yourself. Walk, run, ride a bike. Start clearing out your body and lungs.
Good advice. That's how Wonderblond and I kicked the habit: we took up cycling. Replace the bad habit with a good one.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
But did you have a partner that smoked? If not, then it wasn't a fair comparison. It is hard to quit and be around someone constantly who smokes.

James L
Wife didn't smoke but I worked in an office where everyone else smoked. Since I spent as much or more time at work as I did at home I would say the exposure and temptation was similar.

At least I did get positive reinforcement when I got home. Wife was a nurse and gave me major hassle for smoking.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:59   #14

[QUOTE=DeepFrz;1077859]Congratulations. I have now been off smoking for over 22 yrs. Smoked for 35 yrs. Honestly it was the hardest but most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life. Just keep reminding yourself that it is the first cigarette/cigar/pipe/whatever that will get you back smoking. Do something for yourself. Walk, run, ride a bike. Start clearing out your body and lungs. Keeping a journal is good. And if you are so inclined there is "Smokers Anonymous".

Actually you are never out of the danger zone. One smoke is all it takes. If you are addicted you are powerless over your addiction if you don't stay away from that first smoke.

All the best to you...[/QUOTE

Thanks DeepFrz, Great advise, I have already felt the benifits of not smoking. All of the sudden, I don't have that prisistant couph, I can smell again, and curtain things taste better., But I know you are right, if I give in just once, it's all over, and my now 3 weeks will start over
Old 06-11-2012, 08:01   #15

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Rocketman

It is more than tough to quit if your wife smokes. Maybe you can get her to supportive by going outside to smoke. Then you won't smell it as much

For you. Here's a great trick. Whenever you feel the need for a smoke, go brush your teeth. The urge will be gone. Side benefit is very clean teeth after you have brushed them ten times per day.

Try it. It really does work

I know. Used to be pack and a half per day

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote