Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2023, 04:49   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Avon Liferaft Service -- No More?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
If the rafts are close to 15 years old, they might be considered too old to service.
For rafts on commercial vessels, 15 years is considered end of life.

Thanks, Nigel. They are actually more than 20 years old.

I hate to get rid of them as they are wonderful quality and were really good as new the last time I serviced them.

But everything has a limited life span, including us. So maybe it's time to start thinking this way.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 19:36   #17

Location: Soon sailing from New Orleans to Key West then Caribbean
Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Orion 27

I just manually opened an old Avon 6 person from 1986. Raft is in beautiful condition. One issue I found is the pull cord goes through a plastic hose which screws into a top piece on the regulator. The plastic connection was broken and I am curious if it happened during the last repack in 1994 or on its own over the years. I searched for the Kiddie brand part with no luck. This means I need a new regulator and a company which can i stall it and transfer the gas.

I learned that as part of the testing the close the overflow relief valves and fill it to double pressure to test tubes. Personally I would trust this old rubber raft before many of the newer ones.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:54   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maury View Post
I just manually opened an old Avon 6 person from 1986. Raft is in beautiful condition. One issue I found is the pull cord goes through a plastic hose which screws into a top piece on the regulator. The plastic connection was broken and I am curious if it happened during the last repack in 1994 or on its own over the years. I searched for the Kiddie brand part with no luck. This means I need a new regulator and a company which can i stall it and transfer the gas.

I learned that as part of the testing the close the overflow relief valves and fill it to double pressure to test tubes. Personally I would trust this old rubber raft before many of the newer ones.

The Avon Ocean rafts are beautifully made. In Europe, new rafts are half the price they are in the U.S. (tort tax, no doubt) so if I didn't love my old Avons so much I would just toss them. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do about this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 14-10-2023, 07:30   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Dockhead - we have a similar problem - before we left Copenhagen in 2016 we purchased a Zodiac raft. We had it serviced without problems on tahiti but now when we tried to get it serviced, we are told that in 2017 Zodiac went out of the leisure raft market and our raft could no longer be serviced. We tried to get it serviced in Mazatlan MX, San Diego, Miami etc and got told the same thing.

We contacted Unisafe, the company that sold us the raft and I noted for them that they qave a 12 year warranty. Obviously, if they warrant a product for twelve years, they also are obligated to service and certify the raft for another 5 years.

They said they would service and certify the rafts for another 5 years when we return to Denmark.

You might try contacting them - UNISAFE - they have several location in Denmark

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2023, 08:53   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Dockhead - we have a similar problem - before we left Copenhagen in 2016 we purchased a Zodiac raft. We had it serviced without problems on tahiti but now when we tried to get it serviced, we are told that in 2017 Zodiac went out of the leisure raft market and our raft could no longer be serviced. We tried to get it serviced in Mazatlan MX, San Diego, Miami etc and got told the same thing.

We contacted Unisafe, the company that sold us the raft and I noted for them that they qave a 12 year warranty. Obviously, if they warrant a product for twelve years, they also are obligated to service and certify the raft for another 5 years.

They said they would service and certify the rafts for another 5 years when we return to Denmark.

I also got screwed by zodiac... lovely life raft bought in US at US prices. UNSERVICEABLE... (I can DIY... but the liability is not worth it)

Very sad... and US prices are more expensive.. but.. can't fly it in.. have to 'ground' ship or bring on a boat from europe...

I would have thought that a safety item would be taxed at next to nothing, to encourage all to use.. Sad Sad Sad.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2023, 07:12   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Thanks; hot tip.
Walt Whitman

Tags
avon, liferaft, service