Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 02:29   #46

That old lady reminds me
Just shout at any intruder with an English accent.
I've heard many stories of English lads being confronted with armed assailants in California,
they just chase the armed attacker down and kick the crap out of them. It's got to the point where if they hear your English they just run away (obviously no guarantees with this approach).
I believe the Scottish accent is even more effective
Old 11-02-2011, 04:34   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Actually it was used by the Mayan's, Inca's and various other tribes in the Yucatan and also known to have been used in Assam

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:35   #48

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Equally falling on your head, is a rare occurance, do you therefore wear a helmet,
Dave

AHahahahaha thump
If falling on one's head was being discussed on forums and international news to the point where web sites were sporting world maps of "falling on head" incidents,
yes, I'd wear a helmet. Maybe just like this one-

Google Image Result for http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2008/11/livepiracy.jpg
Old 11-02-2011, 04:46   #49

As the header of the threat is 'alternative boat defense'... does anybody deploy motion activated lights when they are anchored in places known for theft etc? There are some 'smart' 12V lights out there for RV's and I wasconsidering one.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:05   #50
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
If falling on one's head was being discussed on forums and international news to the point where web sites were sporting world maps of "falling on head" incidents,
yes, I'd wear a helmet. Maybe just like this one-
Just stop listening to fox news, the world then becomes a safer place.

Serioulsy you are more likely to break your neck that get shot at or attacked while cruising, as long as you dont go looking for it. Hence helmets should be mandatory and self defense shouldnt.!

dave
Old 11-02-2011, 05:25   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
attack dog on boat

allways thought having a dog on a boat was a good form of defense......

now i'm not so sure think it might be better to go for the airbourne option...

Old 11-02-2011, 05:33   #52

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
allways thought having a dog on a boat was a good form of defense......

now i'm not so sure think it might be better to go for the airbourne option...

I would have had goose for dinner that night.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:18   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Serioulsy you are more likely to break your neck that get shot at or attacked while cruising, as long as you dont go looking for it. Hence helmets should be mandatory and self defense shouldnt.!

dave

Seriously? How can I take that seriously? You're being ridiculous.
A helmet won't stop you from breaking your neck
and to suggest I was looking for trouble
in St Lucia last year is ludicrous and insulting.
(That was another unreported incident.)
A man who cannot defend himself or those under his charge
is no man.

Kenny
Old 11-02-2011, 06:29   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
May be a bit close to the bone although for some. better to run up the white flag.
Surrendering has a long and noble history

One of my (many ) puzzles on these threads is that some folks think that having no gun is the same as being ill-equipped to defend oneself. Come onboard univinited at the wrong time / wrong circumstances and I won't be shootin' ya. But I won't be asking too many questions either - and will have already had my exit plan (sharpish and to far away ) roughed out.

The best defence is between yer ears, followed by who you know (whether that be the PoPo or the 5th Horse(wo)man of the Apocalypse . and her associated family members - or a combination thereof) and backed up by time on the plot. Not being greatly fussed about helping movement along the Buddhist circle of life also helps. The last 2 of course are tricky ones for Cruisers to acheive. But being able to give half a shrug at the right time (well in advance ) sure beats any risk of incoming. and is easier to do

The trick is to avoid doing Tommy Cooper impressions in a crowded area

But we (I ) are digressing........back to happier times
Old 11-02-2011, 08:00   #55

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
LAHORE, Pakistan -Pakistani police alleged Friday that an American held in a pair of shootings committed "cold-blooded murder," while a judge ordered the man's detention extended for 14 days in a local jail and told the Pakistani government to clarify if he has diplomatic immunity.

The U.S. says the American, 36-year-old Raymond Allen Davis, shot two Pakistanis on Jan. 27 because they were trying to rob him in the eastern city of Lahore.(AOL News).

Just to throw a little gas on the fire. Remember other countries laws may differ. Not handing over all of your properties, and women upon the polite request of a local may make YOU the criminal.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:11   #56

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)
So I gather no one has purchased, tested, and compared the tool to competing products. If anyone has verified the item actually works, the user-friendliness, etc., please post.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:19   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

On January 27, an American employee of the US Consulate in Lahore, identified as David Raymond, shot dead two Pakistani youths, while a third was crushed by the driver of a Parado jeep, who was called by him for help, at Chowk Qartaba. Persons, sitting in the jeep were also carrying weapons. Police arrested David near Old Anarkali, Food Street after a chase and registered a case against him on two counts, while a case was also registered against unidentified people.

On one side, the United States has called for the immediate release of the American citizen working with US consulate in Lahore, claiming that Pakistani authorities have detained the diplomat unlawfully and in violation of international law. On the other side, investigators and experts are of the opinion that the under-investigation American involved in the murder of civilians in Lahore was in Pakistan on a visit visa and not on a diplomatic assignment—does not qualify for immunity from prosecution.

Sources suggest that David Raymond including his companions were agents of the American CIA and were on an anti-Pakistan mission. In fact, he is part of the illegal activities of the Blackwater whose employees have entered Pakistan in the guise of diplomats.

Copy/Paste of local news report

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:28   #58

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
With our boat in the Western Caribbean, and pepper spray not available in Central America (well, I haven't found it) and not transportable by air, I chose a good alternative - Wasp Spray. This is recommended as a effective defense against intruders, has good range and accuracy and is easily available and legal. I keep a can in each cabin.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:30   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A Pakistani official, referring to what he said were the preliminary findings of his government's investigation of the incident, said Raymond Allen Davis fired five shots at the Pakistani men from his vehicle and then got out to shoot two more at each of them (in the back?) as they lay on the ground in a busy intersection during midday traffic.

A U.S. official disputed the account, saying that Davis fired five shots from the Glock handgun he was carrying, all of them from within his car at what both sides agree were probably would-be robbers.

As often-conflicting details* continued to emerge about what happened on the afternoon of Jan. 27, neither side budged on the core dispute between them - whether Davis, a former U.S. Special Operations sergeant who carried a U.S. diplomatic passport - is immune from prosecution by a Pakistani court.

* Other reports cite 10 and 15 shots.

More ➥ U.S., Pakistani officials at diplomatic odds in fatal shooting

And ➥ https://civiliancontractors.wordpres...d-allen-davis/

And ➥ Killer Identified: Raymond Allen Davis ~ Terminal X

And ➥ Exclusive: The Case of "Raymond Davis": What Actually Happened ~ Terminal X

Old 11-02-2011, 08:50   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
With our boat in the Western Caribbean, and pepper spray not available in Central America (well, I haven't found it) and not transportable by air, I chose a good alternative - Wasp Spray. This is recommended as a effective defense against intruders, has good range and accuracy and is easily available and legal. I keep a can in each cabin.

Who recommends it?
My wasp spray won't kill an ant and my ant spray won't kill a wasp.
I don't believe it would be very effective unless hit in the eyes and then I don't think many would stand still with their eyes open long enough for that to work either.
Please advise.
Thanks-
Kenny
Closed Thread