Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2013, 11:02   #226

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Vendee Globe - the Real Race

Further to the above post here is a quote from Dominque Wavre on Mirabaud.
Quote:

I've only used 10 litres of fuel since the start of the race, and my batteries are full! The hydrogenerators are working just fine and they produce all the energy I need on a daily basis, even in the current conditions, with me sailing upwind at a relatively low speed...

Before the beginning of the race, along with our energy system provider, we worked on a change that turned out to be very efficient. It allows me to add oil to the hydrogenerator circuit through a small syringe. Thanks to that, I know I won't have any troubles reaching Les Sables d'Olonne. And just in case, I have quite a lot of fuel in stock.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 11:14   #227

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think the keel technology is pretty much under control by now. Except Safran's ;-)
If anyone thinks IMOCA has the keel technology under control I would suggest you read this article.

Dick Weighs Options as Golding Calls for Forged Steel Keels - Vendée Globe 2012-2013
Old 25-01-2013, 13:34   #228

Boat: Niagara 35

Alex has decided to risk the record for being the first Brit to go RTW in under 80 days in order to shadow J-P without his keel for long enough to see how he does with the coming heavy weather.

He says he wasn't asked to do this by J-P or by the race committee, he just thinks it's the right thing to do to be nearby in case J-P can't keep the boat upright in the heavier weather.

A Noble Gesture - Vendée Globe 2012-2013
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 14:16   #229

Boat: a sailing boat

Now Thomson showed what the whole thing is all about. This is great news. Inspiring.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 14:53   #230

Boat: Niagara 35

If cruising is fixing boats in exotic places, offshore racing seems to be fixing boats while underway in the most demanding places. Check out Alex's repair job of his hydrogenerator mount, hanging off the back of the boat underway in the Southern Ocean!

Vidéos - Vendée Globe 2012-2013
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 15:26   #231
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Now Thomson showed what the whole thing is all about. This is great news. Inspiring.

b.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 18:08   #232

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
If anyone thinks IMOCA has the keel technology under control I would suggest you read this article.

Dick Weighs Options as Golding Calls for Forged Steel Keels - Vendée Globe 2012-2013
“A fabricated keel has the life span of one Vendée Globe, period,” Mike Golding (Gamesa) told Vendee Globe TV."

Well, they have it controlled, they have just to change it every two years

Seriously, regarding mechanic work and efforts the keels are much more solid than some years back and the advances are huge. It is really a fatigue problem that is not yet sorted out completely.

I don't think that proposal of forged keels made by Mike makes much sense. The other proposition made by the designers regarding all the boats having the same keel makes more sense to me. If all keels are the same the information that comes from all the boats will provide much faster all the knowledge needed to sort it out a truly reliable canting keel.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 18:36   #233

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Alex has decided to risk the record for being the first Brit to go RTW in under 80 days in order to shadow J-P without his keel for long enough to see how he does with the coming heavy weather.

He says he wasn't asked to do this by J-P or by the race committee, he just thinks it's the right thing to do to be nearby in case J-P can't keep the boat upright in the heavier weather.

A Noble Gesture - Vendée Globe 2012-2013
A class act, but then all those guys are.
Old 25-01-2013, 19:19   #234

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Those guys just blow me away with their bravery and selflessness. The hardships they put up with are amazing. Alessandro, even with a broken rib and missing 3 head sails is still in good spirits. He was joking the other day and said something like he should stop being silly because it hurt when he laughed...
Old 27-01-2013, 18:09   #235

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today François Gabart on Macif won the 2012/13 Vendee Globe and smashed the records. He was the youngest skipper in the race and a Vendee Globe rookie. Had never sailed in the southern oceans, but he raced a magnificent race from beginning to end. He led the race all the way up the Atlantic after taking the lead in the Southern Pacific. I watched his post race interview and he is a very poised and, IMO, humble man. Congratulations François.

François was followed by Armel le Cléac'h who was just over 3 hrs behind, another record. Armel also ran an amazing race and all the way across the Pacific kept trading first place with François. Congratulations Armel.

Just a side note but François' wife joined him on the boat after the finish and slipped and came very close to falling in the frigid water of the Bay of Biscayne. François and another of his crew managed to grab her and pull her on board.
Old 27-01-2013, 18:27   #236

That was an amazing race! I'm just sad it's over and I have to wait four years for the next one.
Old 27-01-2013, 19:03   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
That was an amazing race! I'm just sad it's over and I have to wait four years for the next one.
Indeed. I'm impressed with the speeds achieved and the stamina of the competitors. I don't think I could ever sleep a wink with my boat doing 20 knots like these sailors did. It seems like only yesterday since they started and it was fun to follow along and get the updates here on the CF.
Old 27-01-2013, 19:12   #238

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well I will be watching this one for the next couple of weeks as the rest of the competitors come in. I hope Alex's finish will be a spectacular one with large crowds to welcome him. And I think Alessandro will also get a very warm welcome when he finishes.
Old 27-01-2013, 19:15   #239

How about J.P.? Has he decided to try and finish? If so, that should be quite a welcome as well.
Old 29-01-2013, 23:07   #240

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Apparently JP will make up his mind today, 30th.

If anyone is interested they are starting the live broadcast of Alex Thomson's arrival on the Vendee Globe site.

Vendée Globe - Vendée Globe 2012-2013

Edit: they just shifted it back 10 minutes. I guess the officials slept in again.

Tags
race