Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 11:24   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25
Re: South Carolina to Panama--Best time?

Hi Chuckr,

I have been reviewing pilot charts for this area, and will continue to do so over the coming months. As for weather info, I am currently looking for a SSB receiver, and if you have any input on a handheld model, I would greatly appreciate it.

While some may consider us under-powered, with the outboard and the sculling oar, I have been able to maintain 4 knots in a very slight headwind, let's call it a calm. While this does limit us, and dictate that we will have to be more choosy about making our entrances, I feel that it is doable, as many before have done so. I have not done any ocean sailing on a small boat. While I fully understand that research and planning is absolutely no substitute for practice, I feel more prepared than many folks I hear about. Like I said, this is something I've been actively pursuing for 7 years. I have refit the boat alone, and know every system inside and out. I feel comfortable with the trip we are undertaking, and am not naive to the realities of cruising in a small boat with limited auxiliary power.

We do absolutely plan to cross the gulf stream in November, perhaps further south than Charleston to find a narrower band. I understand it will be uncomfortable, but the boat is as seaworthy as they come, and I do not have concerns for her structural integrity. It will be a mental and physical challenge for the crew, which is half the reason I am pursuing this dream. Thanks for your comments

-Eric
ericiralevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 18:19   #17

Re: South Carolina to Panama--Best time?

Read your blog. Anuk is beautiful and your work as done her proud. Hope you are pleased as she looks great. You are a real craftsman. Gave a wonderful adventure, Anuk is stretching the dock lines ready to go. Keep us posted on you adventures. Also,all should remember Lin and Larry Pardey used a sculling oar as propulsion.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum M. Gray Pacific Seacraft 31
sophiedaisey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama