Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2012, 07:22   #1

Searching for the "right" electronic map

I am trying to make the big jump into the sea of electronic charts.

Currently I am playing with OpenCPN and cm93 - have to say very very nice compared to the un-handy paper charts. Unfortunately I find OpenCPN not really handy if it comes to drawing lines (drawing fixes etc).

So my question would be, what is the "best" electronic map brand (world wide coverage) out there which can be used with as many "good" software as possible.
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 07:38   #2

Re: Searching for the "right" electronic map

Have you seen this site?:

i-Marine Apps

Tons of information..=*^)
Christerart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 09:35   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Much depends on what nav related hardware you have or are planning to purchase. Only certain chart software will run on certain nav related hardware. What are your preferences? Do you like computer based or nav hardware based, like Garmin or Furuno for example?

How much interfacing do you need, for example so you can tell the chart software to send trackline (XTE) data to the autopilot?

I use both Nobeltec Trident (PC based) and a Furuno blackbox, both of which I am happy with. They complement each other in that they each do certain things better than the other. They also do not rely on the other so that if one goes down the other works as a backup. Each has their own GPS antenna.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 09:58   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
(...) So my question would be, what is the "best" electronic map brand (world wide coverage) out there which can be used with as many "good" software as possible.
There is no one best package. OpenCPN with whatever charts cover your area best may be good for 99.9% of users. I would say it offers very good bang ...

Otherwise go for a plotter that uses C-map or Navionics cartridges - these seem to offer broadest interchangeability.

BTW I would not bother with drawing things on an electronic chart. These charts are designed to work with a gps, not with pencil and dividers.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 20:32   #5

Thanks guys - I just need it for passage planning and tracking on my PC/Notebook. Would be nice to add some drawings at planning phase and then have it also available during passage making.

Right now seems Navionics is my choice - anyone got experience with (third party) software ?
Old 24-11-2012, 00:00   #6

The "Measure" tool in OpenCPN works for me when performing pilotage ... quite necessary out here where charts may not align with the GPS datum.

Practice with Measure ... it does the job ... a little funky as one ends up with more segments than one needs because it tries to make a route and not a fix. Plus it gets erased after use. But works for me.

Click on the boat, then the first object or bearing, back at the boat, repeat for next bearing. Or whatever ... anyone know a better way?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 03:28   #7

I have used Navionics on iPhone. There are also versions for iPad and (I believe) for Android/Mac devices (?)

It was OK.

Plotterwise, I never noticed much difference between makes. I like some more than others only because I like some interfaces more than others.

b.
Old 24-11-2012, 08:24   #8

@daddle - I've tested OpenCPN but the measure tool is really awkward - downloaded the demo version of Fugawi. There you can add drwaing but no text ... :-) ... the search must go on !

@barnakiel - is my intention too. To use an Android mini tablet for quick lookups.
Old 24-11-2012, 08:47   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I'm not sure what the question is about "drawing lines" on OpenCPN. I click on the route tool and then click on the start and the finish and then turn off route. It gives me the course and distance and draws a straight line between the two points. If you right click the mouse you get a menu that lets you end the route. You can do the same thing in reverse if you want to plot say a compass bearing of a lighthouse. Just move the route marker around with the mouse until the bearing is found and then end the route--gives you a line of position on the chart.
Old 24-11-2012, 09:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
(...) @barnakiel - is my intention too. To use an Android mini tablet for quick lookups.
Then maybe you will look at a new Ray plotter. Some of them offer wifi access for mobile devices - your smartphone (tablet, whatever) becomes a mobile plotter with full view of whatever the mother plotter is displaying. Pretty smart, I think.

I believe at least one other make delivers the same functionality.

b.

Tags
arc