Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2023, 10:59   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Safe anchorages in Belize

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinex View Post
thank you very much again. Also, we subscribed to your belize notes on amazon, as we have a kindle unlimited plan! thanks!
Good. Hope my Notes are useful too you.

Feel free to send me any constructive feedback.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 14:21   #17

Boat: Mooddy 44

Thank you Curtis again, another question that might be out of our sailing area but we are looking at entering into Mexico via Chetumal but all we heard from sailors is that is very shallow for our draft (1.8meters or 5.9 feet). Do you know or know someone that has done it with our depth? thanks again, very appreciated
chinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 17:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinex View Post
Thank you Curtis again, another question that might be out of our sailing area but we are looking at entering into Mexico via Chetumal but all we heard from sailors is that is very shallow for our draft (1.8meters or 5.9 feet). Do you know or know someone that has done it with our depth? thanks again, very appreciated
Yes, lots of shallow water, but I have friends who have done this route in a traditional monohull. Its on my wish list too so I have collected waypoints (link below).

I dont recall their draft, but will see if I can find out.

Waypoints:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w2cmg5b0y...CteA9OQVa?dl=0

Image of route attached. Route shown by blue line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Route Image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	284450  
Old 18-12-2023, 07:00   #19

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Also, check conditions with respect to the Sargassum. When we were last there (sadly, land-based trip) the stuff was everywhere, piled 3-4 feet high on the beaches, and stank to high heaven. You do not want to be in an anchorage downwind of that stench.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 11:10   #20

I know that this is a bit off topic, sort off, but to those new to the Caribbean in general. Many do not understand that the Bahamas and most of the western Caribbean get US style cold fronts. No, it may not get as cold but you do get stormy winds from all over the compass. Particularly in winter.

In summer. Well………..hurricanes! And another thing that the Bahamas and W Caribbean get, and one I really hate: Thunderstorms. Big ones! And can be quite a few. Sometimes daily.
They are rare in the E Caribbean. You will get rain squalls ( and be able to quickly fill your tanks) but no lightning and thunder. Yaaaaay. Mainly associated with a tropical system you will get a few T storms, a few per year.

In the eastern Caribbean you don’t have this problem. With rare exception, the wind blows SE to E in the summer, and E to NE in the winter. You can anchor darn near on the west side of anything, as far as wind goes. You do not get chased all over the place. Of course the exception being hurricanes. Though the further south you go, the less chance. And if one comes, you are just an over night sail from NO HURRICANES. Not just a good hurricane hole ( if there is any such thing.). Trinidad doesn’t get hurricanes. They are south of the hurricane belt. And lots of good anchorages, marinas and yards.

So if planing a Caribbean cruise. The East has SOOOOO much better sailing and weather. And very multi-cultural. Dutch, French, British, American and independent. And for the most part, lower crime than the Western Caribbean. Note, I said lower not no crime. Heck as far as that goes, the USA isn’t very safe anymore.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2023, 03:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, lots of shallow water, but I have friends who have done this route in a traditional monohull. Its on my wish list too so I have collected waypoints (link below).

I dont recall their draft, but will see if I can find out.

Waypoints:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w2cmg5b0y...CteA9OQVa?dl=0

Image of route attached. Route shown by blue line.
Update re draft from a friend who sailed Chetumal Bay:

"
We did sail all around Chetumal Bay with just shy of six foot draft. The water is crazy skinny. I don’t think we ever saw more than seven feet but only ran hard aground once and a local fisherman helped us off.
"

Tags
anchor, anchorages, Belize, safe anchorages