Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 12:28   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Raymarine RL80C+ & RL70C+ Integration

My new boat has a Raymarine RL80C+ at the chart table and a RL70C+ at the helm networked together with autopilot, radar, Yeoman plotter, etc, etc.

Any chart added to the 80C is automatically available on the 70c so they are talking to each other but, any routes or waypoints I add on the 80C are not displayed on the 70C which is annoying as you cannot load a route at the chart table and then display or follow it on the 70C at the helm.

Does anyone know if there is a setting somewhere in the setup menus that would enable this feature?

Thanks in advance.

Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 13:15   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Raymarine RL80C+ & RL70C+ Integration

The maps are sent over the hsb2 bus. (This information is complex and needs a high speed bus)

I think the routes and waypoints are sent over the completely different sea talk/NMEA bus.

Is sea talk/NMEA connected to the slave unit?
Can data like SOG be displayed on the slave unit? If not it would fit in with the hypothesis that this is where the problem lies.

Of course I could be completely wrong and there may be a setup option that controls route transfer, but I cannot think of one.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 13:21   #3

To be honest I do not know if the "Sea Talk' is connected but yes the slave unit will display SOG, Depth, wind, etc.
Old 14-10-2013, 13:29   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That means it has got sea talk connection. So I think my theory is wrong.

I think its likely its just a menu setting but I am not sure which one.
Old 14-10-2013, 13:37   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In setup
Make sure "send hsb" is on
Make sure "bridge NMEA heading" is on
Finally check all the NMEA output setting sentences are all on (there are about 20 of them. They start APB, BWC.......
Old 14-10-2013, 13:37   #6

Thanks anyway.

Just one other thing. When I select 'follow route' I can get an ETA for the waypoints, but when we pass a waypoint it doesn't delete it from the calculations and assumes we are going back and therefore the ETA's become silly! Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 14-10-2013, 13:47   #7

Will do.... Is this on both the slave and the master units?

Very grateful for pointing me in the right direction
Old 14-10-2013, 13:55   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On the master unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenka View Post
Very grateful for pointing me in the right direction
Its a direction, I would not qualify it any more
Old 14-10-2013, 15:09   #9

I had a similar system with 2 RL70s. The chart data is communicated over the HSB bus. The routes and waypoints are sent over Seatalk, but not automatically. Someplace down in the menus, there is a function to "sync" the two displays. It is not obvious how to do it.

Make sure you've got the data saved someplace else because I vaguely remember that the "merging" of data between the units is NOT obvious and I lost some waypoint data when I did it.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 15:31   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can transfer waypoints and routes using the hsb bus instead of sea talk by selecting the

"Send wpt list on hsb" on the transmitting unit and "recieve Wpt list from hsb" on the other unit ( this has to be done at the same time)

This is designed to synchronise all the waypoints and routes rather than as normal day to day operation, but it may partly overcome the lack of comunication by at least ensuring you have all the Wpts and routes on both units. Note this will erase all the existing waypoints and routes on the receiving unit. They can also be transferred by st/NMEA and this does not replace the waypoints but adds to them it is therefore worth trying first.

This is found by going to
"marks"
waypoint list
Waypoint transfer

Then select st/NMEA do this first if does not work try hsb.
Old 14-05-2014, 01:35   #11

At last I have managed to visit my boat and check all the settings as suggested.

Firstly I have had the firmware checked by the local Raymarine dealer to see if a new version was available and if that would cure the problem of the missing map display and the two screens not talking to each other.

At 6nm none of the Preveza area would display and it was a similiar story for other areas and other range settings.

My firmware was version 4.11. Which is the latest available. However, the technician performed a full reset on both the 80C+ and the 70C+ and, hey presto, I could get a proper display of the chart at any range!

I say could, because three days later it started to drop the charts again!!!

The problem he suggested was the new level of sophistication with the latest C-Maps. They just push older chart plotters to the limit. I will re-perform another system re-set when I next visit and see if I can get back the full display capabilities.

He couldn't help me with the 80C+ not sending waypoints and stored routes to the 70C+, but following the instructions of Noelex 77 worked and the two are working in harmony.

Anyone considering a system re-set should bear in mind that this needs to be followed by a re-calibration performed through the auto-pilot control and involves sailing a 360. I am still out of the water until the 2nd June so this should be interesting as there seems to be a lot of button pressing to get to the right menus and I have already forgotton most of what I was told to do.

TIP: If you ever get a technician showing you how to perform a task film it on your iPhone for later referral.
Old 16-03-2015, 18:55   #12

Does anyone know where one can buy a functional ( new or used ) Raymarime RL70C?
Ours is works well enough but the screen has become so discolored by sunlight over the years that it is barely legible.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
HV
Habana Vieja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine