Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 11:10   #1

Raymarine C vs E Series

I'm starting to think about getting a plotter for the helm as the iPad was just not doing it for me. Because of my existing Raymarine instruments and autohelm I figure I will keep the decision process simple and look at the C90W or E90W.

My sensible head is telling me to get the C90W, but my gadget loving head is telling me to get the E90W because it is more expensive and therefore must be better

So I am wondering that the biggest advantages of the E90w are? Anyone gone though the same decision process.

From what I can see the main advantages of the E-series are:
1) C-series can connect 2 units only and the 5 E-series units more (only ever need 2 at max, so no big deal)
2) E has touch screen and a different interface. (Probably nicer but no big deal)
3) E can display HD radar at 2 different distance scales. (not that useful for most of the time for me, I think)
4)?????
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:03   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: Raymarine C v E series

I compared both and choose the C90W. Like it a lot. But it really depends on your needs and the size of your wallet.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:58   #3

We ended up with a C120W after having the same debate. I think now we made the wrong decision, it feels a lot like investing in old technology. The software menus are counter-intuitive and it is hard to move around in them while hand steering, which unfortunately we have done a lot of in the last year.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 13:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
We ended up with a C120W after having the same debate. I think now we made the wrong decision, it feels a lot like investing in old technology. The software menus are counter-intuitive and it is hard to move around in them while hand steering, which unfortunately we have done a lot of in the last year.
Hmmm, maybe I need to find a store with demos of both to play with.

Whilst I wont same "money is no object", the price difference is wearable but I need to feel that extra cash was not needlessly wasted.
Old 13-07-2011, 13:35   #5

Re: Raymarine C vs E series

I've just found the deal breaker that will push me towards the E-series.

The remote keypad.

Raymarine Marine Electronics - Full Function Remote Keyboard

and the video intergration cable Audio/Video Interface Cable

It will mean that I can have the E-series at the helm as planned and later when I feel I need a repeater at the nav table, for checking radar and other stuff without going to the helm. Instead of buying a second E90w, I can get these and be able to repeat the nav screen in any old LCD or Laptop with a video in card
Old 13-07-2011, 13:54   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Or... you gather your senses and buy a Furuno 3D plotter with their radar scanner and hook your current RM gear up to it and enjoy it

You might or might not need a Seatalk to NMEA converter but even if you would it is still the best option imo.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 14:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Or... you gather your senses and buy a Furuno 3D plotter with their radar scanner and hook your current RM gear up to it and enjoy it

You might or might not need a Seatalk to NMEA converter but even if you would it is still the best option imo.

ciao!
Nick.
thanks for confusing the issue
Old 13-07-2011, 17:51   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

ciao!
Nick.
Not to mention paying a fortune for furuno specific charts.

pS I thought the remote keypad worked with the c-wide series.

Dave
Old 13-07-2011, 18:01   #9

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28
Re: Raymarine C vs E Series

The E series also has a brighter, sharper display. RayMarine does not promote this feature but every installer will confirm it. I have a E80 classic at my helm now which I will replace with a E120 classic which I have been given. If you are interested in an E80 classic at a fair price please PM me. It will be available by the end of August.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 04:27   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Not to mention paying a fortune for furuno specific charts. ]
Oh sorry, I didn't know that you get free charts with RM... I didn't get that when I owned RM. With Furuno in the USA, you only get free charts of the USA. However, a C-Map chartpack for the complete Caribbean is just $300 or so for the Furuno.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 05:57   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversailor
The E series also has a brighter, sharper display. RayMarine does not promote this feature but every installer will confirm it. I have a E80 classic at my helm now which I will replace with a E120 classic which I have been given. If you are interested in an E80 classic at a fair price please PM me. It will be available by the end of August.
There's very little difference between the Cwide screen and the latest E series. In fact bang for buck i can't see why you would buy the current E series and I suspect Ray are redesigning it to differentiate it much more. ( I'm not a fan of touch screens)

Dave
Old 14-07-2011, 08:59   #12

I have two much idle time at work over summer. Now I am eyeing off the B&G Zeus 8 inch MFD. It is priced the same as the Raymarine E Series.

It seems to have some cool features for sailing but I am yet to work out what functionality requires the rest of the B&G kit and what will work with NMEA.
Old 14-07-2011, 09:45   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

I would very strongly recommend you find a dealer that will let you test drive not only the Raymarine, but other units as well. Raymarine is not very user friendly with their menus and you might find that doing even simple tasks will require a lot of drilling down. Have a look at the new Simrad, it is pretty impressive. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 15:20   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy
I would very strongly recommend you find a dealer that will let you test drive not only the Raymarine, but other units as well. Raymarine is not very user friendly with their menus and you might find that doing even simple tasks will require a lot of drilling down. Have a look at the new Simrad, it is pretty impressive. Chuck
I have played with all the big four M FDs. I'd say Ray is on the middle for user friendliness. It's not a difficult product to drive. And it's similar to Simrad in my experience.

Dave

Tags
raymarine