Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2023, 10:58   #1

Old B&G Network Instrument Wiring

I hope these may be of use to someone. Was trying to figure out how to connect new systems with NMEA0183 input / output for the old (now obsolete) B&G Network instruments.

Unfortunately the original NMEA0183 INPUT (612-0A-014) and NMEA0183 OUTPUT (610-0A-030) cables are unavailable unless one pops up on eBay. Hence this info shows how to connect in directly.

For me the most interesting document was the original (internal) design spec for the output cable. This shows the exact wiring and pin-outs for the instrument tails.

In summary:

- PIN1 (black) is a common ground for power, NMEA RX- and TX-
- PIN2 (red) is the 12V power
- PIN3 (white) is a proprietary B&G data I/O connection (2-way) between instruments
- PIN4 (green) is NMEA0183: NB RX+ in tail plugs, TX+ in tail sockets
- PIN5 (drain) is the shielding

So depending on whether you want to connect NMEA0183 IN or OUT you need to connect (or splice into the wires) of either the plug OR socket tails.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B&G Network General Installation.pdf (102.8 KB, 383 views)
File Type: pdf B&G Network.pdf (42.4 KB, 365 views)
File Type: pdf B&G Output Cable.pdf (183.4 KB, 366 views)
andyskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 11:00   #2

Re: Old B&G Network Instrument Wiring

In my case I was trying to connect old B&G Network instruments to a new B&G Zeus3 plotter. The Zeus3 can RX/TX on NMEA0183 via the optional video cable, which (aside from 2 video connectors) includes 4 bare wires for the NMEA0183 connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&G Network Cable PN 610-0A-030.png
Views:	335
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	270498  
Old 29-01-2023, 05:52   #3

I wanted to post an update to the initial post updating the NMEA0183 inputs and outputs. I don't have access to B&G documentation so based only on my own testing and deductions:

NMEA OUTPUT

It seems that any instrument can OUTPUT NMEA0183 data as described above from the tail SOCKET, PIN4 (green), TX+. This should be connected to RX+ in a listener, and the black wire (common ground) to the listener's ground connection (not RX-).

The NMEA output contains data from all instruments that are connected together via the dedicated B&G I/O connection which runs between them all.

NMEA INPUT

However, updating the original post: it seems that PIN4 (green) in the PLUG tails is NOT connected. The only way to pass NMEA0183 into an instrument is to use a dedicated NMEA connection which some instruments have in addition to the tails (e.g. a Network GPS or Network Pilot), and the NMEA0183 input cable (612-0A-014).

That instrument will then share that NMEA0183 data with all other instruments via the dedicated B&G I/O connection which runs between them all.
Old 20-02-2023, 13:54   #4

This is very interesting. Thanks for posting. I want to get NMEA sentances from Network Quad instrument. This has the depth info displayed so I am hoping it. NMEA is 5 volts. So which 2 pins do I need to use to get NMEA output?
robifz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 14:30   #5

CAVEAT .... in the end I took a NMEA0183 output from a network GPS unit, which has a couple of dedicated NMEA0183 sockets as well as the two tails.

Back in the day there was a dedicated NMEA output cable (610-0A-030) which tapped NMEA0183 from any tail including your Quad. However unless you get lucky on eBay these are obsolete and unavailable.

Hence the manual approach... here's how I think it all works.

You'll have a few head units each connected to each other in a 'daisy chain', via the two tails. Power will come into the end of the chain - the cable is a 'plug' i.e. has female connections and goes into the spare male tail at the end of the daisy chain.

Each head unit also connects to its relevant sensor (e.g. the depth unit will have an additional socket at the back for the depth sensor).

Back to the tails. Pin 3, a white wire, connects all head units to each other. Data flows backwards and forwards through the daisy chain... it doesn't matter what order they are connected. This is a proprietary B&G 'I/O' input-output connection and is a white wire within the tails.

In addition to this, EVERY head unit outputs NMEA0183 to the 'female' tail, i.e. with sockets. This is a green wire, and is connected to pin 4. Refer to the 'B&G Output Cable' plan.

So to get your NMEA0183, pin 4 (green) is TX+ and pin 1 (black) is your TX- / common. Pin numbers are confusing... look at the diagram, use a voltmeter to find 1&2 which are ground and 12V, then you know where pin 4 is.

The easiest connection to use would be the spare tail on the unit at the 'far end' i.e. furthest away from the power input. But in principle you can tap into any tail as long as you keep the ground connection to the next head unit intact. You can break the green wire (pin 4) this doesn't connect through from one unit to the next.

I haven't personally proved the approach. But equally NMEA0183 is very robust / designed to cope... if you get the connections wrong you shouldn't hurt anything.

Ideally get a NMEA0183 listener to hand and set up to look at data flow. e.g. a plotter may let you steam a live data feed i.e. just show the sentences coming though. You could make temporary / test connections to your quad before cutting into the tails or making things permanent.

Hope that helps. Let me know!
Old 20-02-2023, 14:35   #6

Thanks. Hmmm I might actually have a B&G NMEA cable because I just realised that some of the B&G data is displayed on my non B&G radar via NMEA.
Old 20-02-2023, 14:37   #7

OK great, In that case just connect your additional 'listener' to the same NMEA0183 output pair (in parallel). You can connect several listeners to one output.
Old 20-02-2023, 14:36   #8

Did B&G give you any specs on the transducer cables and how they work?
Old 20-02-2023, 14:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robifz View Post
Did B&G give you any specs on the transducer cables and how they work?
No unfortunately not... all of the sensor connections are proprietary and non-documented. "Sensor plugs in to unit". That't it as far as I know.
Old 06-05-2023, 19:03   #10

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Hello,

This is very helpful and interesting. I have the B&G Network Quad: Wind(2), Depth, Speed and repeater at the nav station. No GPS etc. at this system. I have all new Raymarine MFDs, Quantum Radar and a new Zeus MFD I got only in order to get a better display of the old B&G network instruments.

From all the wirings in the documents attached, my understanding is that the black wire in the Network cable and the GREEN are those I need to connect to the Acisense NGW-1 adapter 0183 to 2000 https://actisense.com/products/nmea-2000-gateway-ngw-1/

*** But you write the green is not connected?

What was your final solution?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyskip View Post
I wanted to post an update to the initial post updating the NMEA0183 inputs and outputs. I don't have access to B&G documentation so based only on my own testing and deductions:

NMEA OUTPUT

It seems that any instrument can OUTPUT NMEA0183 data as described above from the tail SOCKET, PIN4 (green), TX+. This should be connected to RX+ in a listener, and the black wire (common ground) to the listener's ground connection (not RX-).

The NMEA output contains data from all instruments that are connected together via the dedicated B&G I/O connection which runs between them all.

NMEA INPUT

However, updating the original post: it seems that PIN4 (green) in the PLUG tails is NOT connected. The only way to pass NMEA0183 into an instrument is to use a dedicated NMEA connection which some instruments have in addition to the tails (e.g. a Network GPS or Network Pilot), and the NMEA0183 input cable (612-0A-014).

That instrument will then share that NMEA0183 data with all other instruments via the dedicated B&G I/O connection which runs between them all.
Old 06-05-2023, 19:40   #11

Hola,
Unfortunately it wouldn’t work. The reason I finally determined is due to the B&G NMEA0183 sentence coding which is not compatible with the new stuff. I tried data converters to no avail. Sadly.
Ultegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 20:26   #12

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

That’s a bummer…
Have you tried the Actisense NGW converter? Someone at the B&G Facebook group told me, about a year ago, it worked for him.
I’ve sent the document with the B&G NMEA-0183 messaging for their review.
THANKS.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultegra View Post
Hola,
Unfortunately it wouldn’t work. The reason I finally determined is due to the B&G NMEA0183 sentence coding which is not compatible with the new stuff. I tried data converters to no avail. Sadly.
As an aside.... when feeding in old B&G 'Network" instrument NMEA1083 into a very new and shiny B&G Zeus 3 plotter...

- Depth and Speed worked fine
- Wind did not as it doesn't recognise the sentence format

Per your note... I don't think a NMEA0183->2000 converter would help here... as far as I know they just relay the data as is, rather than translating legacy codes to newer standards.

It's frustrating but really not that surprising when connecting such old stuff. I did ask them to update the Zeus 3 firmware as this is all it would take. But but holding my breath as it won't be a priority for them.
Old 15-05-2023, 01:14   #14

Wink IF YOU'D LIKE NAVICO TO UPDATE THEIR FIRMWARE AND RECOGNISE THE CODES

I have been talking and emailind with Tom at Navico (who own the B&G brand and look after B&G equipment). He's actually very helpful and provided some of the old documenttion.

He agreed to ask their dev team to update their Zeus3 firmware to recognise the legacy VWR and VWA sentences. Hoewever given it was just me and an odd on-off request I doubt they will see it as a priority. His last comment to me:

"The suggestion has been reviewed but I haven't had any statement on whether it will be implemented into a future release and at what date."

Really they should do this... we are talking compatibility with their own product range albeit old. And as I said in earlier posts, Depth and Speed work. It's only Wind that does not.

Anyway if anyone would like to add their own requests then go ahead and email or call him on: 01794 518448‬ and Service.UK@navico.com

They may up the urgency for this if more people ask. They just need to include this in a sortware upgrade (i.e. firmware release).
Old 15-05-2023, 05:37   #15

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: IF YOU'D LIKE NAVICO TO UPDATE THEIR FIRMWARE AND RECOGNISE THE CODES

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyskip View Post
I have been talking and emailind with Tom at Navico (who own the B&G brand and look after B&G equipment). He's actually very helpful and provided some of the old documenttion.

He agreed to ask their dev team to update their Zeus3 firmware to recognise the legacy VWR and VWA sentences. Hoewever given it was just me and an odd on-off request I doubt they will see it as a priority. His last comment to me:

"The suggestion has been reviewed but I haven't had any statement on whether it will be implemented into a future release and at what date."

Really they should do this... we are talking compatibility with their own product range albeit old. And as I said in earlier posts, Depth and Speed work. It's only Wind that does not.

Anyway if anyone would like to add their own requests then go ahead and email or call him on: 01794 518448‬ and Service.UK@navico.com

They may up the urgency for this if more people ask. They just need to include this in a sortware upgrade (i.e. firmware release).

I've got similar problems and Navico advised me to get their Fastnet interface 000-13323-001 so as to convert their data into the N2K network. The trouble is it doesn't do depth. It does do wind OK and all the other data. I'm going to end up with buying the Actisense also, just to get the missing depth (hopefully).
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, wiring, work