Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 11:58   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: NYC to Toronto with Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by viben View Post
Thank you, Vasco.

What do you recommend for securing the mast on deck after de-stepping? Anything else than regular lines to tie it down? If so, is that something Riverview Marina will supply - or something I need to acquire beforehand?
We purchased 5 packs of 4 ratchet straps(from harbor frieght). ( and had a couple lying around too) Need to secure side to side and also stop any fore-aft movement. Before you drop the mast, strip the sails ( you're going to have to anyway the marina wont drop the rig with the sails on) Hop-o-nose has lots of old stands laying around and lumber too. A box of deck screws and a hand full of carriage bolts help. Dropping the mast cost will depend on the length of the mast. In my case I have a ketch and dropping the mast in the catskills cost me $600 which is 3x what I pay at my home marina in Canada! Raising the mast in Oswego is less expensive!

The canal is great but watch out for the tugs They don't slow down for anyone! and dig a big hole in the process! Lake Onieda i is really nice. flat calm both times we crossed it (I think people over scare a bit about it, just make sure your mast is secure like any other lake) Lots of great places along the way to stop! Be prepared to hold for lock openings. Its not unusual to come up to a lock and them have a door not working or the valves on one side not working.

Most important know REALLY WELL how to control your boat and how to use your prop walk! single handing locks can be done but you're going to swing around alot and possibly annoy other boats. some of the currents in the deeper locks can be quite strong!

Its a fun trip can be done in as little as 5 days or as long as you want!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:04   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Kayla, were is this based? in another post you asked for Florida skippers, now Toronto? and how do you intend to pay the skippers which take part?
And to add to this, what areas are you interested in? And how much do you pay? I went to your website, but can’t find any mention of payment.
Old 13-10-2021, 05:38   #18

Boat: J/88

I know this is an old post but was wondering if a tangent question might be easier for people to find in future than starting a new thread.

Assuming normal sailboat speeds, how long does it take to transit from NYC to Lake Ontario on the south shore? I ask because I might buy a sailboat on the north shore of Long Island and wanted to think about issues that might arise.

Thanks, Dan
Old 13-10-2021, 05:54   #19

Boat: J/88

Found a blog saying 12 days from Toronto. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 15-10-2021, 10:44   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

12 days will be plenty. I have gone from Toronto to D&C canal (Delaware Bay) in 12 days on a 36 ft sailboat.

Tags
boat, nyc, sail, sailboat