Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 12:37   #16
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht
Re: New Jersey ICW v. Going Outside?

I live in the Philadelphia area and know the NJ ICW pretty well. As others have said "Take the short way" down, meaning off the coast. Not what you call an ICW in NJ. If trouble arises after Atlantic City you can stop in Townsend Inlet. The Bridge is being rebuilt so it is always open with no mast height restrictions. Avalon, NJ to port after the bridge opening is pretty good. To starboard is Sea Isle and a small dock with fuel and close to food stores open all year (ACME).

If weather is fine I would continue to Cape May, then on down, as others have said. I think it was pointed out up the Delaware and down through the Chesapeake will save you time. Right now I am at the Summit North Marina for yard work and dock in Philly in the summer, South in the winter if I wasn't working on her.

Cruiser with 6 foot draft.

Good luck regardless
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 18:12   #17

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Is this a delivery trip or vacation? If vacation, you definitely need to take the ICW thru Barnegat Bay. Great overnight anchorages and marinas in Metedeconk River, Silver Bay, Toms River, Forked River. And there is excellent sailing in Barnegat where you will find lots of weekend regattas. Just be careful and do the Point Pleasant - Manasquan Canal at slack tide, the current runs wicked fast!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 06:35   #18

Boat: Sabre 34 mark I

I tend to agree with the last poster. The NJ ICW is shallow in spots, but the OP is drawing 3.5 feet!! Come on, if you can't manage a 26 foot sailboat in the inner waterways of NJ than you will be in trouble anywhere on the east coast. An ocean voyage from Sandy Hook to Cape May in a small boat when options are easy and not dangerous is poor planning. Manasquan Inlet and Barnaget Light are excellent entrance or exits and both offer good depth for a boat far deeper than 3.5 feet. There are spots that one needs to be careful on all runs, Barnegat and south, but no problem for anyone less than 4'

Break up your sail and enjoy the Jersey shore. You can see plenty of Dolphins elsewhere.
night mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 10:04   #19

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by night mission View Post
I tend to agree with the last poster. The NJ ICW is shallow in spots, but the OP is drawing 3.5 feet!! Come on, if you can't manage a 26 foot sailboat in the inner waterways of NJ than you will be in trouble anywhere on the east coast. An ocean voyage from Sandy Hook to Cape May in a small boat when options are easy and not dangerous is poor planning. Manasquan Inlet and Barnaget Light are excellent entrance or exits and both offer good depth for a boat far deeper than 3.5 feet. There are spots that one needs to be careful on all runs, Barnegat and south, but no problem for anyone less than 4'

Break up your sail and enjoy the Jersey shore. You can see plenty of Dolphins elsewhere.

Spot on. Keep in mind that the time of year, weather, time constraints, etc. will determine whether you want to do this or not. I went from Barnegat Bay to City on the inside in a 25 foot boat I delivered to Maryland. It was a great trip. It is shallow so you mayy want to stay in the channels depending upon the tide. If there is no wind it can get quite buggy. If you have the time then it is worth it. Coming from NYC/Sandy Hook/Sheepshead Bay then Barnegat Bay is a good half way point and has good anchorages. Pull in, anchor, and have a nice trip to Cape May. It only adds a few hours and is a lot of fun.

You will most likely have to leave the inside at Atlantic City due to low bridges and you will be on the outside from Sandy Hook to Barnegat Bay. Enjoy.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, new jersey