Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2022, 12:09   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Need Local Knowledge for Chesapeake Bay

I am presently in Beaufort NC, heading to Annapolis. I am sailing solo and trying to figure out route management. I am concerned about sailing the Bay at night because of all the crab pots and looking for someplace to anchor as close to the mouth as possible because the trip from Beaufort to the Bay is around 38 hrs at 5 kts. Anyone know of an anchorage for 5’8” draft and is it safe to sail the Bay at night?
Thanks
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 14:26   #2

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Need Local Knowledge for Chesapeake Bay

I don't think there are too many anchorages at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay. The site we chose was off Old Point Comfort (N37 00.474, W076 19.002). This is a nice protected anchorage. You just follow the channel markers all the way in. The channels have always been clear for us, so this should be usable for a night passage.
Old 07-08-2022, 14:48   #3

I was looking at that area earlier. Thanks
Old 07-08-2022, 15:04   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

You will have no problem sailing at night up the bay with crab pots. You will have more trouble as you get into shallower water. There are typically more pots as you approach anchorages. In fact, sailing in the Chesapeake is great place for night sailing. I do it frequently.

There are not many protected anchorages at the south end of the bay. The other issue is the military bases and ships. Lots of restrictions. Best place would be in the Elizabeth river on the approach to Norfolk. There are military aircraft that operate at that end of the bay and sometimes with very low altitudes causing significant downdrafts.

It's a great trip! Take some time and stop at Tangier island.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 15:54   #5

While is is true there are not a lot of anchorages in the southeastern part of the Cheasapeake near Norfolk, you only need one, right???

For an overnight stop, I can recommend Willoughby Bay just on the southern end of the Hampton Roads Tunnel. Yes, part of the bay is restricted by the Navy, but it is only very close to the western shore and easily avoided. It's busy during the day with helicopters from the base, but I have never seen them airborne after dark. Check a CURRENT e-chart or the LNTM for the buoyed-off area for construction equipment. We get in and out of there with a 6'6" draft. The approach channel is narrow, but well marked.

Just across on the north side is Phoebus Harbor. Another good anchorage for a quick stop. Watch the cable area marked on the chart.

An easy day's sail north is Fishing Harbor just up the Piankatank River on the north side.

Once you have a close look at your charts, you'll see that there are marked "fish trap" areas in the bay. Crab traps are restricted to those areas. If you stay outside those marked areas you might find a rare one off station, but they are pretty good about keeping the open waters clear of pot buoys, and every harbor has clear water channels you can use to approach without worry. Look at the charts.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 16:18   #6

Boat: Maine Cat 38

If coming into the bay after a solo from Beaufort and headed to Annapolis my first choices would be an easy anchorage that is not far out the course to Annapolis.

SARAH CREEK 37.2566N , 78.4770W. The entrance is a little narrow just follow the channel markers. There is a good marina but also plenty of room to anchor. The restaurant at the marina is excellent.

Anywhere in MOBJACK BAY. Take any of the finger estuaries to get out of the swell and drop anchor. The East River 37.3686N, 76.3425W is a fine example. Anchor anywhere. About a mile up the river is a wide basin. A little further in is a park which is great place to take a stroll.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 16:31   #7

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Also....what Ben said. Out in the bay itself and away from shoal water there are few crab pots. Entering the larger estuaries is usually not a problem away from shore.

Another point related to my prior post....the tide is strong in the far southern Bay. If you have favorable tide get as far north as you can to avoid having to push into it on your next leg. North of Mobjack the tide us only about 0.5 knots usually so not such a bother, either way.

...the southern Bay is my home waters.
Old 07-08-2022, 17:00   #8

Thanks, everyone. Good info from all.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:43   #9

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I asume you plan ICW, but if going outside, less out of the way upon entering CB is behind the concrete ships at Kiptopeake State Park.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:18   #10

I am coming in from the “outside” , so the park could be perfect. Thank you.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:47   #11

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
Once you have a close look at your charts, you'll see that there are marked "fish trap" areas in the bay. Crab traps are restricted to those areas. If you stay outside those marked areas you might find a rare one off station, but they are pretty good about keeping the open waters clear of pot buoys, and every harbor has clear water channels you can use to approach without worry. Look at the charts.

Not entirely accurate. Yes, there are marked "fish traps" but many of those are simply areas where bottom structure invites fish.

There are also "pound nets" -- no kidding fish traps -- usually not marked on charts. They look like fence poles in the water, spread around an area, and the nets themselves aren't usually visible. They tend to be in semi-shallow water, say 15-25' or so, relatively easy to avoid but often not well marked. Sometimes you might see a small reflector or two...

And then crab traps can be anywhere and everywhere. A "float free channel" is just a mere suggestion. OTOH, crab traps tend to be placed in 25' or less... so night sailing out in deeper water is usually no problem.

-Chris
Old 09-08-2022, 06:39   #12

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Kiptopeke anchorage is about 5 1/2 miles slightly east of north from the bridges (75' clearance) of the C. B. Bridge Tunnel, but that course comes close to Latimer Shoal, so be wary. There may be crab pots, but if you anchor closer to the concrete ships where there aren't (m)any in the deeper water, there is more current which will reverse with the tide. You just have to prepare for that.

You can park your dinghy on the back side of the launch ramp dock. Be sure to carry PFDs. I've been ticketed. "Beach" heads and showers, and a small concession stand are there as well as walking trails.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 15:46   #13

I live and sail out of Hampton Roads. I would not recommend Willoughby as part of the channel has shoaled and there is 24 hour boat and barge traffic in there due to the new tunnel construction. If you want to come that far west, then stay at Old point Comfort on the north side of the tunnel. It's protected and has amenities like grocery and restaurants. As mentioned, Kiptopeke or Cape Charles are nice easy places to anchor just inside of the Bay Bridge Tunnel (basically right at the mouth) on the Eastern Shore side. As you head north there are more and more options. Sarah Creek and Mobjack Bay offer great anchorages, but both take you at least an hour off course to the west and then the same hour back out in the morning. Rappahannock River also offers respite, but is also a detour at the end of your day.

Sailing in the bay is not bad in terms of crab pots and at least here in the southern portion there are less and less each day. It appears that maybe seasons are ending. Most are relatively close to shore. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, chesapeake bay