Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2021, 01:35   #46

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Re: Navionics on OpenCPN

Hi

Im looking into using mbtiles and have been following the instructions kindly put up by Jon. On extracting the files from the Sasplanet zip from Pauls database my antivirus software kicks in and quarentines a file and stops the extraction. Is this normal and just my virus software being over zealous, or is there a problem with the zip from the server?

The file causing the trouble is titled libosmscout_route.dll
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:51   #47

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by biku navigator View Post
Hello any information for peter e dis 2.3.1 version update thanks
Biku, you've posted this 3x now. I realize that English is not your native language, but this makes no sense at all. Maybe try saying what you want in a different way.
Old 02-12-2021, 15:49   #48

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Hi

Im looking into using mbtiles and have been following the instructions kindly put up by Jon. On extracting the files from the Sasplanet zip from Pauls database my antivirus software kicks in and quarentines a file and stops the extraction. Is this normal and just my virus software being over zealous, or is there a problem with the zip from the server?

The file causing the trouble is titled libosmscout_route.dll

In my experience on a Windows laptop with Windows Defender running that file gets blocked. Turn off Defender and it downloads and installs the program fine. Then turn Defender back on. AFAIK there’s nothing malicious there.

JH, thanks so much for your instructions and work to make MBTiles - it’s a great tool and works great!!!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 18:17   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
In my experience on a Windows laptop with Windows Defender running that file gets blocked. Turn off Defender and it downloads and installs the program fine. Then turn Defender back on. AFAIK there’s nothing malicious there.

JH, thanks so much for your instructions and work to make MBTiles - it’s a great tool and works great!!!
Thanks for for your kind words, Foxy. Glad to hear you're getting it to work for you. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Olly, there's nothing malicious in there, so yes, your anti-virus is a bit trigger happy. They also sometimes don't like bits of ooRexx, the interpreter that Paul uses for Sat2Chart.

McAfee & other anti-virus makers pay computer manufacturers to put their SW on new computers, so users will think they have to pay for it when the free period expires. But Windows comes with a very capable firewall & anti-virus program built in, which is really all you need. So you can safely get rid of any other anti-virus program, but you may then have to turn Defender on & wait while it updates itself to current settings.

But Defender can also get false positives, so you might want to tell it not to bother scanning the ooRexx folder.
  • In the Search Bar, type Defender & select Windows Defender Security Center
  • Select Virus & Threat Protection
  • Select Virus & Threat Protection Settings
  • Select Add or Remove Exclusions down near the bottom
  • Click the [+] to Add an exclusion & select Folder
  • Navigate to the C:\Program Files (x86)\ooRexx\api folder & add that
  • Close Defender

This will prevent Defender from quarantining ooRexxHide.exe, which Sat2Chart depends on. I haven't had a problem with SAS Planet, but it's OK as well.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2021, 13:56   #50

Boat: Cargo ship

I prefer charts in oesens charts for Mediterranean and black sea.thanks
Old 29-06-2023, 00:47   #51

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44 Cutter
Thumbs up Re: NAVIONICS ON OPENCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Paul, as has been hinted at earlier, there's a completely legal (but somewhat time consuming) way to get Navionics charts into OpenCPN right now, by using SAS Planet to make mbTiles. Not only can you get 2 flavors of Navionics charts, but you can also get 5 flavors of CMap.

Even better, SAS gives you free access to satellite imagery like ArcGIS (awesome, & usually quite $$), Bing (Microsoft), Nokia, Google Earth, Yandex, MapBox, Maxar, OSM, and a host of others.

Making high-quality mbTiles takes time & internet bandwidth, but all the tools (SAS Planet & Sat2Chart) & the data are free for now. I'll be publishing a How-To page in a few days for those interested.

For those who just want to download them, please respect the time & effort that folks have put into making these high-quality charts, & make a donation. Bruce's Chart Locker covers much of the eastern Pacific. We provide downloadable KAPs of almost all of SE Asia, & we'll be providing our mbTiles for downloading as soon as we can get some bandwidth.

So the tools are available now, without needing an OpenCPN plugin, & they're all free.

For cruisers in SE Asia John's tiles and information is a goldmine. In 30 minutes my OpenCPN went from clunky old CM93 charts and a few GE images to looking amazing with modern Navionics charts and great satellite images from multiple sources.

Huge thanks for the great work!
svloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 09:25   #52

Re: NAVIONICS ON OPENCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by svloki View Post
For cruisers in SE Asia John's tiles and information is a goldmine. In 30 minutes my OpenCPN went from clunky old CM93 charts and a few GE images to looking amazing with modern Navionics charts and great satellite images from multiple sources.

Huge thanks for the great work!
Thanks for this, Loki.

The post you quote is quite old. I've now uploaded our mbTiles, which are much better than KAPs in a number of ways. We still include Navionics, but now we include CMap nautical charts, as well as satellite imagery from ArcGIS, Bing, & Google Earth. The satellite imagery is amazingly accurate, with max errors on the order of 3m or 10'.

We also now provide charts covering essentially the entire coastlines of over 30 countries, from the entire Eastern Caribbean to Galapagos, most of SE Asia, & much of the tropical Indian Ocean to East Africa. You can now download them from our Chart Downloads page.

And we're actively seeking out other cruisers with high-quality charts to contribute to our repository. We'd like to make it a resource for cruisers to download high-quality & high-resolution navigational charts.

Fair winds, & safe cruising!
Old 29-06-2023, 23:25   #53

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

For all the Pacific Island groups north and south of the equator from the Americas to Indonesia, you can download ArcGIS, Bing Satellite, Google Satellite, and Navionics MBTiles at https://TheChartLocker.com. Also all of the East Coast of Australia, Pacific Mexico including the Sea of Cortez, Pacific coast of Central America, and various islands in the Caribbean.

Cheers,
Bruce
Old 05-11-2023, 08:54   #54

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

For those looking for New Zealand Charts in addition to the government-issued ENCs, TheChartLocker.com now has ArcGIS, Bing Satellite, Google Satellie and Navionics MBTiles for the entire country. All free, of course.

Cheers,
Bruce

Tags
enc, navionics, opencpn