Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2024, 05:51   #1

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Navionics on a Win 11 PC using a VM?

I would like to run Navionics on my Dell Win 11 PC. I am thinking to try an Android Virtual Machine on Win 11. Just wondering if anyone has done this, what they did, results they got - performance, etc.

Just to save some time .. yes, I know there are other platforms and nav apps, and that they are probably superior to my choice of Windows and Navionics. But...this is a narrowly-scoped technical query about Win 11, Navionics, and the use of VMs. Thx in advance...
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:08   #2

Boat: Roberts 36 ketch
Re: Navionics on a Win 11 PC using a VM?

There are few android images to run on a VM. I have a VM with WIn 11 on an Ubuntu based system and use it to make my own charts. I can't see why wouldn't work a VM running Android. Give the VM as much RAM and at least 2 cores. Some proprietary programs throw you an error when not running on real metal. I guess if you have the hardware already (laptop) it's easy to try. My favourite one is VirtualBox. Cheers, Franco
Franco_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:50   #3

Boat: Seapiper 35

I recently purchased a PC program called Navigation Planner for use at home to plan routes. This program is specifically for use with Navionics charts, and produces .gpx files that can be downloaded to Raymarine and other plotters. They have a full featured program called PC Plotter that can be connected to gps and ais, etc.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:12   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

I have tried it on 2 different VMs, Blue Stacks and the Windows Subsystem for Android. The short version is I couldn't get it to work. The long version is that it's been a while and I don't exactly remember why.

The first issue you will run into is that none of the VMs contain the play store. So you will need to create an APK from an installed and running version on a real Android device, and then sideload it onto the VM. I did that, and then it didn't run properly. If I recall it never got past the splash screen.
Old 06-03-2024, 05:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I have tried it on 2 different VMs, Blue Stacks and the Windows Subsystem for Android. The short version is I couldn't get it to work. The long version is that it's been a while and I don't exactly remember why.

The first issue you will run into is that none of the VMs contain the play store. So you will need to create an APK from an installed and running version on a real Android device, and then sideload it onto the VM. I did that, and then it didn't run properly. If I recall it never got past the splash screen.
I wondered about Playstore and how downloading and installing might go. Also, navigation seems very cpu-intensive and hence not likely to run well on a VM. Maybe there will be some more replies from someone who has made it work.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiropaul View Post
I recently purchased a PC program called Navigation Planner for use at home to plan routes. This program is specifically for use with Navionics charts, and produces .gpx files that can be downloaded to Raymarine and other plotters. They have a full featured program called PC Plotter that can be connected to gps and ais, etc.
Thx, I will take a look at this app. I wonder how it gets the Navionics charts? Maybe it is from Navionics?

BTW Navionics has a web page labeled Chart Viewer that is pretty nice. It has their basic charts and if you log in you can edit your routes. I did not see a way to export routes to gpx, and tracks are not visible. I did not see any Active Captain info or Sonar Charts. But is it not bad for free.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...key=_yytE~wcsM

I also export my charts to OpenCPN on a Win PC, and edit them there with NOAA charts overlaid. I found the NOAA raster charts to be really useful in Maine to check my routes against hazards like exposed headlands, narrows, and ledges that I would miss with Navionics or NOAA vector. Of course I hear NOAA is going to obsolete these free and wonderfully valuable raster charts. But.. sorry, I digress.

I just want to use Navionics on my Windows 11 PC - just as it works on an Android tablet (which is quite good, I have to say). Maybe someone has done it with a VM.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:28   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfy View Post
I wondered about Playstore and how downloading and installing might go. Also, navigation seems very cpu-intensive and hence not likely to run well on a VM. Maybe there will be some more replies from someone who has made it work.
The issue isn't CPU power. I think it is more related to in-app purchases, and that the app, the purchases, and the specific install are locked to the hardware it is installed on and that is authenticated via the play store libraries.

I also tried to get it running on my Android TV. Couldn't get that to work either.

Tags
navionics