Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2022, 07:33   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Navionics charts any good for Bahamas after their 2018 revisions?

I don't know why anybody would choose to use a chart plotter in B'mas...a cruising guide book is all you need....gives way more detailed information, recommended courses, etc....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 07:40   #32

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

The best navigation aid in the Bahamas is a good pair of polarized sunglasses
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 08:35   #33

Boat: Lagoon 421

We had to get Aqua maps that use the explorer chart data. Navionics stop using the explorer data. We had all sorts of errors with Navionics in the Bahamas. I would not use it there..
tpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 09:00   #34

Boat: Brewer 44

We have been cruising the Abacos for the past two weeks. I believe many people may be confused between the Navionics charts on chart plotters, such as our Raymarine Axiom, and the Navionics charts on the dedicated Navionics app on the iPad.
Although ten times more expensive, the Navionics charts for our chart plotter are terrible. The Navionics charts on my iPad are amazingly accurate, as long as you have it set on the sonar charts.
Today we went through the Tilloo bank, which is probably the trickiest area in the Bahamas, with no problem. The iPad charts were spot on. We draw 5 feet and our buddy boat 6. I always use the iPad to plot and navigate. I use the chart plotter for general directions and the auto pilot.
Can anyone explain why the much cheaper iPad product is so much more accurate than the much more expensive chart plotter product?
GinoDelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 09:26   #35

Boat: Lagoon 380
Navionics charts any good for Bahamas after their 2018 revisions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
The best navigation aid in the Bahamas is a good pair of polarized sunglasses

I’m sure this in jest;
But u will find yourself running either at nite, or under clouds. Maybe i am crazy or otherwise aggressive, but I want enough electronics to do a near zero viz navigation. Maybe my airplane instrument rating has formed that mindset.
Ask yourself if you can reanchor at nite if your drag alarm goes off.
And yes, on high quality polarized glasses PLUS a way to directly block the sun. Baseball cap is good. With lanyard.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 10:18   #36
Marine Service Provider

I (as have many others) have been to the B'mas many, many times, long before the advent of electronic navigational even existed....

Never once had the slightest problem or concern.

These days, folks are too fixated on that damned little screen in front of them, rather then using their eyes and common sense.

Seriously, a working vhf and guidebook would get you, and can still get you, anywhere in the B'mas. Pretty much anywhere you go, one island will hove into sight as the last one disappears over the horizon.
Some good binoculars are a help, but even a cheap set of binoculars is more than capable.

I simply don't get this fixation on electronic devices...lord help you, if you have a power failure..

I don't know too many sailors that cruise the B'mas at night..that would be asking for trouble no matter how you slice it.

Anchor alarm....what's that...??? A good spotlight will take care of that at night.

If I had to add up all the time I've spent in the B'mas it will likely amount to 10 years. All of it without a chart plotter. Many others like me. Doubt I would trust a little screen to tell me where I am.
Old 18-02-2022, 10:26   #37

Is ur nite vision same as 30 years ago? Have the boats’ value gone up as well? More factors for the discussion. Have the anchorages become more crowded?
Old 18-02-2022, 11:36   #38

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Anchor alarm....what's that...??? A good spotlight will take care of that at night.

How's that work? You have a spotlight that will wake you up?

-Chris
Old 18-02-2022, 12:09   #39
Marine Service Provider

Not trying to start a pissing war here....merely pointing out that depending on electronics only to navigate your way around the B'mas is not the way to go....

Switch the damn thing off for a day or two or three and you'll quickly note that you will become a lot more attentive and aware of your surroundings and to the color of the water...counting islands...the weather.....etc...etc...
Old 18-02-2022, 12:55   #40

I have heard the Garman Blue Charts are one of the better ones for the Bahamas.?

I have had good luck with them otherwise, along with Active Captain.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 13:04   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoDelG View Post
….

Can anyone explain why the much cheaper iPad product is so much more accurate than the much more expensive chart plotter product?

Can u post shots of each? I’m not seeing a diff in the exumas. I have a phone vs a rsymarine plotter right next.
Old 24-02-2022, 14:18   #42

Navionics charts any good for Bahamas after their 2018 revisions?

Another example of essentially useless explorer chart. I happen to be there now. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9273.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	253530

vs;

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9274.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	253531
Old 24-02-2022, 14:50   #43

I've done lots of cruising in the Bahamas over the last 50 years. My boat is there now (I am at home this week).

We had been using Garmin Bluecharts on an iPad since 2014, but as documented in many a CruiserForum post, Garmin is no longer offering the app or charts. I still have an un-updated iPad with the Bluecharts, but now also use the INavx vector charts on another iPad. I think they are what INavx calls the Explorer charts. Both chart sets are very good and very similar. I have more hours using the Bluecharts and have never hit bottom unexpectedly.

Sometimes there are differences, shallow areas shown on one chart program, but not the other. Generally pretty close. I think the INavx charts are the best you can do at the moment for the Bahamas.

I was a big fan of Garmin particularly after running the entire inside-the-reef route from one end of Andros to Jackfish Channel at the southern tip. But with all the Garmin BS with their app and the Active Captan debacle, I hope to never buy another Garmin product.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 16:36   #44

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and will be chartering from June 25th - July 2nd, 2022. I'll be with my family and wondered if there are others sailing from Palm Cay Marina to Highborne Cay Marina. Any other boat doing this trip on June the 26th, 2022?

BTW, I am using Navionics to plan the trip, what's your input related to its depth precision?
FamilyTrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 19:45   #45

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTrips View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and will be chartering from June 25th - July 2nd, 2022. I'll be with my family and wondered if there are others sailing from Palm Cay Marina to Highborne Cay Marina. Any other boat doing this trip on June the 26th, 2022?

BTW, I am using Navionics to plan the trip, what's your input related to its depth precision?

Welcome.

Tags
Bahamas, charts, navionics