Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2013, 20:50   #376

Boat: O'Day 25
Re: Missing 75´s.y. Lady Domina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
We also need to know HOW she could have arrived unnoticed on or around the 2-3 April from St. Martin as the coastguard have no records of her having arrived,just departed?

Tore
Quote:
I think we should shift the search from the Caribbean to the NW part of the Norwegian Sea and ask the Norwegian coastguard to be on the alert for her arrival.

Tore
Quote:
OK,we´re grasping at straws here...,what other options do we have? Refuelling in Bermuda???

Tore
We need to know...
We should to shift the search...
What other options do we have...

What do you mean "we" kemosabe?

clikin away on your laptop isn't a search. I don't think you can google a missing boat.

well-founded or a leaker, Slocum or Crowhurst

wait a minute on that. poor selection of captains as they both took a bath in the briney blue. green? maybe it was green. never heard of the snotblue sea.

anyways. you buys your tickets, you takes your chances

isn't that what it's about? you want the thrill, you take the risk

i don't think there's any mention of a money back guarantee when it comes to these matters. if they only wanted transport, they would have sold the tub and bought airfare.

add to that the skipper is a wanker. doble-wanker? poor odds on that

for the skipper; no pity either way. if it turns out to be a slow slog to port or a quick slide to the bottom

it would be a shame if the guests aboard should suffer and if they do the skips estate should be pillaged, less the amount owing to the ride alongs negligence for getting on in the first place.

my personal concern is not getting too close to the op. he names his boat "eight bells" and his friends go missing

nuff said

IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kemosabe.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	62497  
Old 14-06-2013, 01:11   #377
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

That is a pretty cold point of view.

Since the officials won't do a "real" search more than put out official alerts, we are about to conduct an "effective" search plastering the boat and pictures of the missing crew on the front cover of every newspaper in the world. If she has been hijacked we will know it, if she is floating "out there" people will be watching for it. This is not a boat that can travel unnoticed with her unusual profile. It is important to maintain hope for a positive outcome no matter who was aboard. This is the basic decency we pay all sailors. Perhaps the public in general can do what a search grid failed to do. I remain optimistic these sailors will be found in good stead, so long as we intensify our efforts.
Old 14-06-2013, 01:14   #378
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post

Since the officials won't do a "real" search more than put out official alerts, we are about to conduct an "effective" search plastering the boat and pictures of the missing crew on the front cover of every newspaper in the world.
yeah, ok. and who reads newspapers anymore?
try a facebook group.
call it, bring back the dead.
they have been missing too long.
Old 14-06-2013, 01:16   #379
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post

Since the officials won't do a "real" search more than put out official alerts, we are about to conduct an "effective" search plastering the boat and pictures of the missing crew on the front cover of every newspaper in the world.
Wow, if you can actually do that you have certainly won my admiration.

Coops.
Old 14-06-2013, 01:24   #380
cruiser

Guess we will have to see, brother. Every newspaper in the world might have been a little optimistic, lets just try the major services. In the meantime, what solution do you recommend?
Old 14-06-2013, 01:33   #381

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

How about a reality check here? As astrid pointed out, if they have been motoring constantly since the beginning of April, they are out of fuel. If they are still afloat, then they are out of water (unless they have a good rain catchment system), and if they are still afloat, they are out of food and out of gas for the stove.

Ok - so they are eating raw fish and issuing survival rations of water. Not good, but on the cheery side, you lose some weight. No engines means no charging of the batteries (unless they have solar, but none is shown on the pics) which means they can't use their VHF, nor do they have nav or other lights for at night. So a boat could sail right by them and not know they are in trouble.

Uhhh - anybody here think that is what has happened? If it has, then they are drifting in the atlantic current, going around in circles.

Is the captain or any of the crew a strong enough leader to manage all this? Keep the rest of the crew in line? When tempers really flair because of the sun and too little water? When someone grabs a kitchen knife because they just can't stand sight of one of the other crew members? This is not just idle speculation - other groups of people in similar circumstances have killed each other because there was no one around who took command and was able to enforce it.

At this point, if they show up, it will be a miracle.

Sorry to be a nay-sayer - but reality does pop its ugly head up once in a while.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 14-06-2013, 02:18   #382
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Above all else when contributing to this thread please remember what the core issue is: Several people are missing and likely dead. Also remember that their families are reading this thread.

Some consideration is warranted when posting and maybe even an attempt to not bicker with one another.

As regards what could be wrong - at this point Im not sure it matters. They are alive or dead. Getting media exposure will not help - any ship that passes this boat at sea will either report it or not. If it is sunk, it will stay sunk. If they are captive, as one suggested - then the robbers have no intention of seeking a reward as they havent contacted the families.

We can chase these threads of possibilities all we want but they all lead to the same place.

As one said earlier in the thread - we seem to be afraid to stop speaking for fear of what we will hear in the silence.

My heart goes out to the family and friends - I hope that there will be some closure to this more than anything.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 14-06-2013, 02:41   #383
cruiser

Actually, I think keeping this front and center is critical. Imagine sailing by a yacht in trouble because we were not watching or didn't know. Apart from this thread and a few blog posts, this case has never been presented in English. Publicizing this could be their last hope. As well read as this is, not every one knows to even be looking.

I think we must look for unity on the board and continue to look for a positive outcome. There also are lessons to be learned, difficult lessons. One of the family members expressed his hope at least that might be part of the legacy. I for one, am no longer volunteering for crew, though that was not the lesson to be learned.

The human spirit to survive, to prevail against all odds and our mutual plight as sailors is what I have gained through this thread. Watching Tore work daily at the task of figuring out last known positions, and plotting where they could be today, what a wonderful effort by a concerned human being.

When I was a kid, reading lost at sea stories, one common element was the giving up by nearly everyone despite the sailor surviving. In one, a sailor thought to grab the painter on his cheap dingy thinking two rafts were better than one. When his expensive liferaft failed, he spent his last days before rescue on the cheap raft, grateful for having brought it along and imagining where he would have been if he hadn't.

We just never know, I won't give up on a positive resolution and ask my fellow sailors to keep the same degree of hope if they can. Bickering does nothing, I agree, good point, so I will not answer negative responses. Thanks.
Old 14-06-2013, 03:23   #384
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Above all else when contributing to this thread please remember what the core issue is: Several people are missing and likely dead. Also remember that their families are reading this thread.
I have not read enough hard info in this thread to come to that conclusion yet.......and given that at least a couple of posters seem to be motivated by a desire to be part of the story / drama I suspect that a coherent narrative (that would be of actual use to anyone searching, or simply keeping an eye out) will not emerge .
Old 14-06-2013, 04:33   #385
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Well, it has only been a few months. Given the lack of communication ability and lack of propulsion; I think you need to give it at least a few more months before drawing an conclusions. I would have to think they'll drift up somewhere by the end if summer if still afloat?
Old 14-06-2013, 06:09   #386
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I have not read enough hard info in this thread to come to that conclusion yet.......and given that at least a couple of posters seem to be motivated by a desire to be part of the story / drama I suspect that a coherent narrative (that would be of actual use to anyone searching, or simply keeping an eye out) will not emerge .
+1

The mentioned posters have gone Gonzo and like to hear themselves talk.

Hearts to the family and the lost, but enough circle talk and useless speculation
that lead nowhere...Can we limit discussions around real news?
Old 14-06-2013, 06:47   #387

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but has any one person talked to the families of all the crew members to ask them all:

1. When was your last comunication with the crew?

2. What was the last info that you were given by the crew.

3. Have you checked the crews financial records for credit card usage?

It seems this thread is alot of people on the outside of the loop of knowledge. If my daughter was on board that boat I would have already been on a plane and talking to people face to face. And maybe someone has and it just has not been reported in this thread. Again it just seems no one on this thread is close to the crews families and in the know.

Maybe I am wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Old 14-06-2013, 07:16   #388

Boat: Island Packet 35

Wishing for a good outcome for the vessel and crew of Lady Domina. Thoughts and prayers to the families.

We also spent hurricane season in Mt. Hartman Bay, Grenada in 2012 and remember the vessel. We were in St. Martin in March and April. We anchored in Marigot Bay between March 23-28 and remember seeing the boat anchored there. We did not know anyone on board nor speak to anyone. We also did not hear any radio traffic from the vessel. The anchoring location was approximately 1/4 mile out from the Sandy Ground Bridge entrance.

We hope this information can be of service in helping to locate the vessel and crew.

Crew of Alibi
Old 14-06-2013, 07:47   #389

Boat: a sailing boat

No wreckage, no Mayday, no liferaft. Unless proven otherwise, the boat is still out there.

Searching the web can at times lead you to finding things others would say impossible to be found. It IS a www world we are living in. People leave traces. Credit cards, mobile phones, to name a few. Operators keep logs. Users tend never to empty their logs.

At times, we may find things we would rather not know. At times we read a post we would not write ourselves.

Sursum corda. Keep on searching. Good luck.

I too think and hope the boat and her crew will be found.

b.
Old 14-06-2013, 10:42   #390
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Actually, I think keeping this front and center is critical. Imagine sailing by a yacht in trouble because we were not watching or didn't know. Apart from this thread and a few blog posts, this case has never been presented in English. Publicizing this could be their last hope. As well read as this is, not every one knows to even be looking.
Im possibly as bad as others by bumping this thread.

Surely this is a time to let the families grieve. If , and its a very unlikely if, these people are on dry land, we would have heard from them, Survival at sea for this length of time , while not unknown is unlikely.

Simply maintaining a 'internet' presence on the hope that some yacht will investigate is nonsense, you have a visual horizon about 5 miles out, Anyone who has sailed oceans knows that (a) You can't see far and (b) unless you specifically know what you are looking at is in distress, you dont go chasing around the oceans looking at other yachts, its simply too far to travel on a whim. Equally ships will not divert unless they have specific instructions.

Hence all this thread ( and no doubt others ) are doing , is engaging in needless conversation, and in my view poking their (its) nose into what is now a family matter for those concerned.

Thats me done on this, Ive got quite uncomfortable about it being bumped all the time

Dave