Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 20:18   #1

Linking navigation systems

I have a few questions on navigation systems that I'm hoping the gurus on this forum maybe able to help me answer.

Background

I have recently purchased a lagoon 380 catamaran, and am looking go upgrade the navigation systems. This is my first boat so I'm learning as I go and have limited knowledge so please forgive me if I'm ignorant of some of the basics!

She is currently equipped with an integrated I furuno system that covers plotter, radar etc. however this system is several years old and I am now looking to upgrade.

Questions

1). I am looking go install a raymarine plotter MFD (a/e series) I am wondering if it would be possible to connect my existing radar system (which is furuno) to this new MFD using NMEA connectors and display my furuno radar output on the raymarine MFD?

2). Would it be possible to connect both the plotter and radar to a laptop at the chart table and display the radar / AIS information on the laptop using something like open cpn?

3) if the system I have described above in q2 is achievable what types of connectors would I required to do this?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer, this is my first boat, so I imagine I will be asking lots of questions as i bumble along.

Regards

Jamjar
Jamjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:08   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Linking navigation systems

Best bet is to stick with Furuno so you can keep some of you equipment like radar. Also Furuno plays nice with Nobeltec pc software. Customer service is raved about for being very good and world wide.

My opinions of course.

Fact: you won't be able to connect the Furuno radar to the raymarine plotter.

See more @ redemptiverepair.com
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:07   #3

Re: Linking navigation systems

Hi,

Thanks for the advice it's appreciated.

To be honest I like the raymarine systems, the lighthouse software looks like it works, and I can wirelessly connect my iPad for passage planning etc. I'm less keen on the furuno product, despite what I understand to be excellent rep. For furuno products.

I might just have to bite the bullet and change the radar at the same time as I put in the new plotter.

That raises another question, around what is the best Pc plotter software that I can link to my radar and AIS? I would ideally like to be able to link this to the raymarine plotter again for passage planning and transferring waypoints etc.

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a wireless network on board for radar and AIS to connect to PC and avoid excessive cables?

Thanks again for the help

Regards

Jamjar
Jamjar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation