Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2011, 16:17   #1

iNavX Problems

I have been using iNav-X for a year and love it, however on my last trip last week, I could not get some of the instruments in the chart toolbar to show up.
I could not get ETA, distant to next waypoint, etc.
I had them selected in the instrument window. It didn't happen all the Time.
One day, they show up, the next day not.
Has this happen to anyone else.
Thanks
GP
57guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 07:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: iNavX Problems

Those fields would only show up if there is an active waypoint (i.e. "Goto") which will show up as "WPN: waypoint name". Also make sure iNavX has a good fix. In the Instruments banner and view look for "HPE:" to be around 16' - 32'. The "UTC:" field will also update as each new position is received by iNavX. And lastly "CON:" should indicate "Loc.Mgr" to indicate "Location Manager" is in use. If you have further questions about iNavX please email us directly or send a PM.
Old 23-11-2011, 07:24   #3

Thanks
Just tried it and it works as you explained. I was activating the route but did not hit "Go to" all the time.
Again, love your app

GP
57guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 07:31   #4

Great app, nice to see you are available if I have questions.
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 08:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Glad you got it sorted. Here is a useful tip: When you have activated a route (i.e. selected "Goto"), the DTR:, TMR: and RTN: fields can be tapped either in the "Instruments" view or banner and a graphic display of the waypoints with distances, bearings and time will be displayed. Selecting "Next" or just tapping a waypoint in the list will advance the route.

As to what route(s) displays on the chart. This is selected in the Chart "Setup". Specifically the "Show Route" setting. This settings can be "All", "Selected" or "None". When set to "Selected" then, what ever route you last viewed in the "Routes" view will be plotted.
Old 23-11-2011, 08:56   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have been using INavX for a few months, but I am afraid that I am less enthusiastic about it than the OP. Possibly some of my problems result from insufficient understanding of the system. The instructions are quite schematic.

1. Charts (of the UK and Atlantic France) are much less detailed than the CMapNT+ charts in boats fixed nav system. I don't understand why this should be so -- I thought Navonics was a direct competitor of Jeppesen? I bought the Navionics Silver charts of all of Western Europe -- great price. But maybe the Silver charts have less detail? What gives?

2. The chart automatically snaps to the GPS position. The only way to study an area which is not where your boat is at the moment -- one of the main uses of a system like this -- is to turn off the IPad's GPS. This seems really kludgy. Why not have a "Find Ship" button like on all normal nav systems, so that the cursor is not wrenched out of your hands when you're trying to study the next port?

3. No indication of distance of the cursor from your location, without setting up a ruler.

There are a number of other gripes. I will post them as I remember them.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 09:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some response:

1) iNavX uses the Navionics Gold charts from X-Traverse (in addition to the free NOAA US waters charts). My experience with marine cartography is not one vendor has the best coverage for all locales. As such I recommend using multiple sources. So when it comes to iPad/iPhone that means using multiple apps or the one that offers the best features and cartography for your purposes.

2) By default iNavX will scroll the chart back to the device position. This can be disabled by selecting the Setup button (looks like a gear in the upper left hand corner) when a chart is displayed and setting "Pos.Icon.Loc" to "None". At anytime tapping the "Chart" tab twice will scroll the chart back to the device position. So set "Pos.Icon.Loc." to "None" in the setup then just tap the "Chart" tab twice to bring the chart back to the device position.

3) Measuring on the chart is initiated by double-tapping the chart. The ends of the measure line can be dragged, and tapping the green end will originate the measure from the device position.

4) My recommendation is not to get locked into one app for any purpose on iPhone/iPad. One can run many apps on iPhone/iPad in parallel and all can share the device GPS and resources. None of the marine navigation apps are over the top expensive in the scheme of things (re: when compared to dedicated chart plotters). Feel free to email me directly with questions/concerns about iNavX. I get the best ideas from the feedback I receive from users.
Old 23-11-2011, 09:40   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Thanks for the very helpful and objective responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
Some response:

1) iNavX uses the Navionics Gold charts from X-Traverse (in addition to the free NOAA US waters charts). My experience with marine cartography is not one vendor has the best coverage for all locales. As such I recommend using multiple sources. So when it comes to iPad/iPhone that means using multiple apps or the one that offers the best features and cartography for your purposes.
So you're saying that all the Navionics cartography (silver, gold, platinum) has the same level of detail? I will soon upgrade my main nav system, and the system I am considering uses Navionics cartography. Yikes.

Quote:
2) By default iNavX will scroll the chart back to the device position. This can be disabled by selecting the Setup button (looks like a gear in the upper left hand corner) when a chart is displayed and setting "Pos.Icon.Loc" to "None". At anytime tapping the "Chart" tab twice will scroll the chart back to the device position. So set "Pos.Icon.Loc." to "None" in the setup then just tap the "Chart" tab twice to bring the chart back to the device position.
Perfect! Thank you. You should put this excellent feature in the documentation!

Quote:
3) Measuring on the chart is initiated by double-tapping the chart. The ends of the measure line can be dragged, and tapping the green end will originate the measure from the device position.
I am aware of this feature, but it does not answer to the task. One needs to know, when roaming around with the cursor, how far away it is from your boat. Not just how far -- but bearing. It's one of the most used features on a regular nav system.

Quote:
4) My recommendation is not to get locked into one app for any purpose on iPhone/iPad. One can run many apps on iPhone/iPad in parallel and all can share the device GPS and resources. None of the marine navigation apps are over the top expensive in the scheme of things (re: when compared to dedicated chart plotters). Feel free to email me directly with questions/concerns about iNavX. I get the best ideas from the feedback I receive from users.
Good advice, but it would be better if INavX -- the only IPad nav program I have -- were the best of the best, and did everything I need, so I never need to think about any other! Surely you would also like this?
Old 23-11-2011, 09:46   #9

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

The responses from iNavX – the fact that there were such quick and clear responses – sold me. I'll get it for my backup asap.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 10:19   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrymark View Post
The responses from iNavX – the fact that there were such quick and clear responses – sold me. I'll get it for my backup asap.
Not just backup -- it's really great to have a chart plotter where and when you want it -- a couple of days ago I was sailing across Christchurch Bay and on watch for lobster pots -- late November in the UK -- that is, cold -- couldn't go down to the nav table -- but uncomfortable in the behind the helm -- so I took the IPad and stood on the companionway stairs looking out over the scuttle - with the IPad in front of me. Fantastic. And at anchor at night, I put the IPad next to my bunk with the anchor watch switched on -- at a glance I can see whether we were in position or not. It's great to have a portable chart plotter.
Old 23-11-2011, 11:21   #11

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Some response:
Nice feature! Much better than what I had been doing which was turning the location services for iNavX on and off depending on whether I wanted to be operating on current location or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrymark View Post
+1. I've had GPSNavX answer several questions here, on their site or by PM. Always clear and straightforward.

I use the iPad as my primary routing tool. I'll put waypoints on my chartplotter at the helm so that I can steer to them using the AP. However, we keep the iPad close at hand for the overall route and other info. I look forward to the day when the chartplotter will accept waypoints and routes uploaded from the iPad so I can lie on the bunk at night planning the next day's travel and then just load it up when it's time to weigh anchor. Hopefully, not far away.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 11:41   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The concept of a "cursor" is not something that really fits the iPad/iPhone touch user interface model as in the case of the chart tap and dragging actually scrolls and/or zooms the chart. So iNavX uses a double-tap to initiate the measure cursor which can then be dragged on the chart. Some other apps use a button to start the measure mode. Most dedicated chart plotters I have seen with a "cursor" do not have a touch screen, but instead use off screen physical buttons to control.

It is not possible for one app to be all to everyone. That surely does not fit the app model that Apple promotes. I see that as a strength of the iPad/iPhone over the dedicated chart plotter. Not being locked into one app and one set of charts.
Old 23-11-2011, 11:48   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The concept of a "cursor" is not something that really fits the iPad/iPhone touch user interface model as in the case of the chart tap and dragging actually scrolls and/or zooms the chart. So iNavX uses a double-tap to initiate the measure cursor which can then be dragged on the chart. Some other apps use a button to start the measure mode. Most dedicated chart plotters I have seen with a "cursor" do not have a touch screen, but instead use off screen physical buttons to control.

It is not possible for one app to be all to everyone. That surely does not fit the app model that Apple promotes. I see that as a strength of the iPad/iPhone over the dedicated chart plotter. Not being locked into one app and one set of charts.
I appreciate that very much, but still, the cursor -- or crosshairs, or however you like to call it -- is really fundamental to chart plotting. You have two points of reference -- the boat, and what you are pointing at. Chart plotters have a little window which automatically shows you range and bearing to what you're pointing at. This is extremely useful; besides that, it is second nature to sailors since they have been using this function on their chart plotters for ages. It's really totally different from a ruler function. It would really enhance the usefulness of INavX if it were to have such a function.
Old 23-11-2011, 12:03   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am having a hard time seeing how tapping on the chart twice to initiate bearing/distance measurement, then single tapping the green circle (cursor) provides different functionality then what you are requesting..

If you could email me how you would envision bearing and distance from device position being presented in a different way that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 23-11-2011, 12:25   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, let's discuss it here -- I'm sure of interest to all existing and potential INavX users.

So of course you are right - you can do it by setting up a ruler. And maybe it is being picky to be objecting to setting up the other end of the ruler -- the "my boat" end.

But those of us who use regular chart plotters are accustomed to the device assuming one end of the ruler -- "my boat". So that all you have to do is put the crosshairs on some spot and you automatically have range and bearing to that spot. Something you do a thousand times a day in real navigation situations. To point to your own boat and set up the other end of the ruler there seems really kludgy.

Also, I don't recall that we get bearing from your ruler, besides range, but my recollection may be faulty.

Tags
iNavX