Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2022, 20:10   #1

Boat: Still looking
Importing chartplotter from USA to Australia

I'm about to upgrade all my navigation gear and it going to take a minimum of 4 months to get raymarine gear. It appears I can get it now from the USA but someone told me there could be problems getting it to work properly over here in Australia. Thanks in advance for any assistance I receive. Cheers
Shotgun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 20:19   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Importing chartplotter from USA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun6 View Post
I'm about to upgrade all my navigation gear and it going to take a minimum of 4 months to get raymarine gear. It appears I can get it now from the USA but someone told me there could be problems getting it to work properly over here in Australia. Thanks in advance for any assistance I receive. Cheers
Have you read any of the discussions about how much trouble people are having with the newer Raymarine stuff?

I've been reading and talking to people and I can tell you I wouldn't touch Raymarine with a barge pole. A pity, because my 20 year old Raymarine gear is working perfectly.
Old 11-05-2022, 20:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Have you read any of the discussions about how much trouble people are having with the newer Raymarine stuff?

I've been reading and talking to people and I can tell you I wouldn't touch Raymarine with a barge pole. A pity, because my 20 year old Raymarine gear is working perfectly.
No, I haven't heard. I will look further into it. Thanks
Old 11-05-2022, 20:58   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

The upside is that their service and warranty performance is excellent.
Old 11-05-2022, 21:07   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

If you import from the USA, you may find that any warranty issues will have to be handled ex USA.

E.G. Icom (Australia) will only support ICOM units that were imported into Australia by Icom Australia. Import it yourself, you are on your own and have to take up any issues with the oversea's supplier. Other manufacturers sometimes have similar policies.

Tread carefully and ascertain such things before committing. Grey imports can carry considerable risks when things go south.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 22:51   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Raymarine has a Global Warranty programme so you are covered there. Ive never had issues when I purchased Raymarine in another country.

As for install issues , having configured two brand new Raymarine systems for people , I see no unusual issues with Raymarine latest gear and Lighthouse III & IV have proven excellent.

Most of the issues I see are self installs where the owner , simply didn’t understand what they were doing. ( and in one case the dealer was clueless )
Old 12-05-2022, 00:13   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Raymarine has a Global Warranty programme so you are covered there. Ive never had issues when I purchased Raymarine in another country.

As for install issues , having configured two brand new Raymarine systems for people , I see no unusual issues with Raymarine latest gear and Lighthouse III & IV have proven excellent.

Most of the issues I see are self installs where the owner , simply didn’t understand what they were doing. ( and in one case the dealer was clueless )
The issues I've heard directly are from multiple fellow cruisers finding the units fail very shortly after the warranty expires. And these are smart, tech savvy yachties.(Is there any other kind?)

I found similar chatter online. I put less credence on that stuff as I don't know if the person posting installed half the system in the bilge or the shower recess.

I've not heard of problems with installation or configuration, most of which is pretty clever and intuitive across the brands these days.

I am also seeing a generally positive outlook on brand interoperability which is promising. It's a little risky, but it seems possible to mix and match these days without losing your sanity.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:11   #8
Nearly an old salt

Importing chartplotter from USA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
The issues I've heard directly are from multiple fellow cruisers finding the units fail very shortly after the warranty expires. And these are smart, tech savvy yachties.(Is there any other kind?)

I found similar chatter online. I put less credence on that stuff as I don't know if the person posting installed half the system in the bilge or the shower recess.

I've not heard of problems with installation or configuration, most of which is pretty clever and intuitive across the brands these days.

I am also seeing a generally positive outlook on brand interoperability which is promising. It's a little risky, but it seems possible to mix and match these days without losing your sanity.

The main recent issue with Ray has largely been around the Quantum 2 non Doppler radar which prematurely fails in high ambient environment. I know someone who had 5 warranty replacements across 4 countries ( which speaks well of ray marines warranty ). The issue was only really resolved by using the newer Doppler model which does not have the same design fault.

Other then that my experience has been Ray’s new gear works well.

As for “ tech savvy “ yachties , yes about 1 in a 100 !!! Actually understands this stuff , the rest spend too much time reading the internet.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:47   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

My first failure was a software update, the second an intermittent back light failure. In both instances Raymarine replaced the MFDs.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:58   #10

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

I am the owner-installer of a fairly complex Raymarine system. Are there problems in installing? IMHO, not if you are reasonably competent, read the instructions, and exercise care. Under warranty performance is good. Out of warranty varies--the fixed charges are steep.

Staying with one manufacturer pays dividends. Mixing systems can be problematic.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 16:08   #11

Boat: Hanse 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun6 View Post

There should be no problem to "getting it to work properly" over here. Marine electronics is usually 12VDC, that's what most recreational boats run off and correctly chosen gear will network smoothly with NMEA2000/Seatalkng. I say correctly chosen because whilst NMEA2000/Seatalkng are widely compatible for most plotters and instruments between brands, mixing brands for radar and autopilot whilst expecting them all to be operated thru another brand of MFD can be problematic/impossible.

The area you should look closely at for surprises relates to registering MMSI numbers for VHF radios and AIS trancievers which the seller may insist on doing before shipping (US laws). That is OK if you have your MMSI but if there is already an MMSI entered you may need to have it reset by a dealer here. Also look for what plotter/MFD charts are included as US plotters often embed detailed USA charts but need separate plug-in cards for other territories like AUS/NZ/Pacific. Easy to get but add to the cost.

Most importantly, if you are not familiar with NMEA2000/Seatalkng networks you should consult a qualified person to plan your network topography and power supply to meet the specifications correctly. These networks are very robust when properly installed but can produce many problems and intermittent errors/faults if they are operating 'on the edge' due to incorrect cabling, termination and power.
Gypsy23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 02:39   #12

Okay thanks everyone for your comments. I have chased all around the place and got all raymarine at different places around Australia. I have a qualified person to install shortly. Thanks again
Old 17-05-2022, 02:42   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
I am the owner-installer of a fairly complex Raymarine system. Are there problems in installing? IMHO, not if you are reasonably competent, read the instructions, and exercise care. Under warranty performance is good. Out of warranty varies--the fixed charges are steep.

Staying with one manufacturer pays dividends. Mixing systems can be problematic.

You read the instructions that puts you in the 5% category right of the bat
Old 17-05-2022, 04:49   #14

Boat: Hanse 370

Sounds like a good outcome. Fair winds to you.
Gypsy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, chartplotter, import