Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:36   #16

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.waite View Post
calibrate NZ charts in SeaClear.

I have Seaclear, but how do I find NZ charts and calibrate them?

Planning a short charter in Bay of Islands in March and was looking for charts (although the boat will have them, I'm told)

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:41   #17
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
I have Seaclear, but how do I find NZ charts and calibrate them?

Planning a short charter in Bay of Islands in March and was looking for charts (although the boat will have them, I'm told)

Connemara
START EDIT:

Caveat: I know the below techniques will result in charts that can be read by OpenCPN, but I don't think they work in SeaClear.

To use them in SeaClear should be simpler:

SeaClear comes with MapCal. To use the NZ charts in SeaClear, use the link below to download your charts. Download KpGen, but your are only going to use the CHARTCAL.DIR file. You'll need to put the CHARTCAL.DIR in the same directory as the downloaded charts, then open them in MapCal to convert them to WCI so SeaClear can use them. As I type this, I think at that point, just come in the OpenCPN forum in the Charts thread and we can walk you through it.

To use them in OpenCPN, see below.

END EDIT

For the chart images:For calibration, check out:
  • OpenCPN sub-forum - the mc2bsbh thread
  • OpenCPN sub-forum - the chart thread
  • MapCal Utilities

The things to look for are mc2bsbh and KapGen.

Notes: All software mentioned below is free. Some of it is only available for Windows, so that limits the process to Windows, for now.

For the easy way out, just start with KapGen. It contains the calibrations of something like half the NZ charts. You just select the chart you want, and it goes to the web and downloads it, converts the image and creates the chart. About as simple as you can get. You'll need to read the installation instructions carefully as it requires you to load a few other packages for it to work. Like wget, mc2bsbh, libbsb, ImageMagick (I think that's all).

Once you get that loaded and working, all you additionally need to roll your own from any scanned image is MapCal, which comes with SeaClear.

The above links can also be found by drilling down in the link in my signature.

The developers of mc2bsbh and Kapgen are in the OpenCPN forum, so posting questions there should get you all the help you need.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:54   #18

Boat: pilot cutter
Just as an FYI, the Magellan units seem to be more amenable to uploading route data, etc., from a PC (and vice versa),without the need for special data cards and a bunch of rigmarole, etc., than the Garmin units.

Garmin has better TV commercials, though.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:21   #19

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
... the Magellan units seem to be more amenable to uploading route data, etc., from a PC (and vice versa),without the need for special data cards and a bunch of rigmarole, etc., than the Garmin units...
???

Used both and could not see much difference - neither make was accepting routes as routes, both accepted just a list of WPTs that I had to re-route within the units.

b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:52   #20

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Garmin 76cx. Very easy to use. In fact, get two of them and plenty of lithium AA batteries in a waterproof bag.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:03   #21

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Garmin 76Cs

The small hand held units are great, I have been using one for several years on my kayak. Do not expect them to be waterproof.
My friend rolled his kayak with a 76 mounted on the deck and its toast now. They are supposed to be waterproof to a certain depth (3 ft?) for a certain time.

I have removed every plug and cover and sprayed with dielectric grease. So far so good. My friend did not.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 13:04   #22

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I'll cast another vote for the Garmins CSx, I've had mine for years and it's very easy to use.

Planning on a laptop with mapsource and simply uploading the routes are a snap.
I have a larger unit at the helm and still use the handheld when off watch to keep my eye on what the crew is doing up there.

It has alot other neat features like: Tides and currents, barometers, altimeters, etc..

Haven't used an Etrex...so I can't compare them or speak to an etrex.
Old 07-12-2009, 13:05   #23

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
???

Used both and could not see much difference - neither make was accepting routes as routes, both accepted just a list of WPTs that I had to re-route within the units.

b
What part of this are you confused about? With Magellan all that you need is a data cable and compatible (both Magellan and non-Magellan) software. With Garmin you need pretty much everything from Garmin only.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 13:16   #24

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Amazon had some great deals on haldheld GPS units recently. Unfortunately they wouldn't ship to Australia on those deals.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 17:02   #25

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
What part of this are you confused about? With Magellan all that you need is a data cable and compatible (both Magellan and non-Magellan) software. With Garmin you need pretty much everything from Garmin only.
OK, I take it one can use any cable with Magellan (i.e. not-proprietary).

I do need a Garmin made cable for data / power. Otherwise, I do not have a piece of Garmin periph / soft and can do all I need for navigation. So I believe it still falls close to Magellan in price / usability (I paid USD 120 for my unit).

This would be cool to be able to use some standard jack (as you say it is the case with Magellan). The Garmin data cable was like 25USD or something in this range.

BTW I must have used some older Magellan unit - as the connector back then (2001) was also proprietary.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 17:27   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
My last Garmin chartplotter (276+) used a standard USB cable for data. Power was through the serial option and as such needed the Garmin cable, or I suppose you could make your own as they do give you the pin out in the manual.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 18:03   #27

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
After you get your first exact GPS postions from the hand held GPS to use for plotting on your chart, I suspect your sextant will become your backup in a hurry.
Like Jify says.

Pleased by your emphasis on traditional skills. GPS skills augment them. Basic GPS started as a 'nice to have'. But one moment of potentially serious disorientation at night made basic chartplotter functions a higher priority.

(Curses, I now have three GPS units.)
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 20:04   #28

Boat: Buccaneer 240
I have an E-trex Legend. Been using it for several years now. It is very handy. I've used the trac function to find my way back through fog. Mine came with bouys and other landmarks pre programmed.

It likes to eat batteries.

Make sure you have lots of batteries with you. It's no fun to find your way though a fog bank with the sound of waves crashing and then have your navigation aids quit.

I've got to get a compas on that boat

Scott
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 21:05   #29

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
I have Seaclear, but how do I find NZ charts and calibrate them? Planning a short charter in Bay of Islands in March and was looking for charts (although the boat will have them, I'm told
Connemarra:

If you only want to save & view, this link will give you the Bay of Islands chart in TIFF format: http://charts.linz.govt.nz/tifs/nz5125.tif

For other charts in the area, see: NZ202 Chart Catalogue : Northern Zone

You only need MapCal if you are going to use the chart with a GPS. Send me a private message if Dacust's approach does not work.

Have a great charter. It is a truly beautiful area.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 22:49   #30

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Just as an FYI, the Magellan units seem to be more amenable to uploading route data, etc., from a PC (and vice versa),without the need for special data cards and a bunch of rigmarole, etc., than the Garmin units.

Garmin has better TV commercials, though.
What is the actual model of which you speak?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote