Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2013, 20:03   #61

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Does Anyone Know of an Android Application Using CM93 charts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
OP's dreamed Android App to use CM93 chart does not exist and is not likely to happen.

If I sound whistling to you then that's that.

I was trying to share my experience with using OpenCPN on a W8 tablet.

I am not continuing to press any preferences as I have none. Except perhaps that I like things to be the same way the OP likes them: low power, inexpensive, simple.

I know there are many options. I am glad we have them and I am glad you are willing to share your experience too.

I bet there is enough room here for not two but many more experiences, opinions and attitudes.

b.
I think it will happen quite soon. Certainly by sometime next year. I have my fingers crossed for sometime this year. SeaIQ is looking pretty good. I just installed it on my iphone 4S and it is using both CM93 and the NOAA ENC charts. It is not a free app but it is fairly cheap. iNavX is $49 and SeaIQ is I think $9.99 or something like that for the FULL open version but you can try the full version for free. Only hitch is my iphone was jailbroke on 5.1 and SeaIQ requires 6.0 or above. 6.0 has a jailbreak but it can no longer be installed on the 4S even if you have saved the 6.0 blobs. I had to "upgrade" (what a joke) to 7.0.3 and the jailbreak is still a work in progress. But I have two rooted androids, a Note III and a Tab2 7.0 so I can live without a jailbroke iphone for a while.

Anyway after an enforced upgrade of iTunes (which gives apple even more control over my computer, iphone and life!) I was able to do a full restore of 5.1 and then was able to install 7.0.3, and I installed SeaIQ Open without a hitch. Then I made two zip files, one with all of CM93 Jan 2011 and the other with all of the NOAA ENC charts for US waters. With the Open version there is no capability to do an in-app download of the ENC charts. So anyway in iTunes I went to the Apps tab for my iphone and then the app file sharing section, and added the two zip files and synced. After the sync I unplugged my phone and opened SeaIQ and went to charts and there they were. Eazy Sneezy. So I have very good and fairly up to date charts for U.S. waters and so-so charts of pretty much the entire world with some lack of large scale charts.

I just yesterday bought a NoteIII (T-Mobile branded) with all bands included tmobile's goofy 1700MHz band, and I immediately rooted and unlocked it. I happen to like the deal I get with T-Mobile but I am a seaman so I need to be able to pop a local SIM card in the device for phone and internet in other countries, that's the only reason I unlocked. Tmo will give you the unlock code under certain circumstances but those circumstances include keeping an account in good standing on that phone for a certain length of time, so I just paid a 3rd party for the unlock code. It is a simple matter of inserting a SIM from another carrier, in this case ATT, and entering the unlock code when prompted. The Root was a little more involved due to the screwy download sites where you sometimes have to go to get the tools. In this case the root package, (CF-Auto-Root-hltetmo-hltetmo-smn900t.zip)
and an app called Odin. Oh, and Kies and the latest Samsung USB drivers. You have to get the file for your particular Samsung model and follow the directions exactly. The 4.2 version of the OS hides the developer options in the droid settings and I had to go online to find out how to expose USB Debugging option. (Click on the Build Number 7 times) and then I put the phone in download mode (Volume Lower, Home, and Power buttons pressed and held simultaneously) and plugged the phone in and ran Odin, and pointed it to the Auto Root file. Simple Pimple. Rooting really isn't hard but you do have to go through the directions over and over a few times and make sure you understand them perfectly. You need to do a trial run or two all the way up to the moment of no return to make sure you understand.

Obviously there is no need to jailbreak the iphone to run SeaIQ and even load CM93 charts. I am thinking that the droid port of the app will likewise be capbable of full functionality without rooting, if you don't want to root your droid. Personally having rooted 4 Samsung droids so far including the brand new SM-900T version of the Note 3, I don't understand why anybody would NOT root their droid.

So there you have it. SeaIQ is cheap and runs on iphones with iOS 6 or above, even without jailbreak, and it can utilize both the onboard GPS and also CM93 synced to the phone with iTunes. And they are working on an Android port, and you can register to be the first kid on your block to get it when it is out. And I, for one, am looking forward to it.
Old 23-12-2013, 06:26   #62

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Well, on the Building on Motorola Xoom page I find...
1) I need an ARM Processor rel 7 (I have Snap Dragon... is that ARM &... who knows?)
2) I need to root my device to unlock the bootloader
2) I need to install Linux (great .. an OS on top of an OS)
Forgive me if I comment that this nerd-only solution. The last thing most people need is to be fooling around with Linux whilst they are navigating a boat.

I am still looking for someone who has a simple way to use CM93 on Android.

No responder has answered this.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 13:29   #63

Hi Derfy

1. ARMv7 is not a prerequisite but you do need to know the processor that you have in order to choose the correct distribution BTW Google tells me the a SnapDragon is ARMv7

2. yes but its a one shot thing to enable linux install

3. Its not installed as a OS on top of an OS but rather runs along side of it in a mounted loop file. There is a difference.

While I agree that it is a bit nerdy and requires more effort to initially install... once done you do not fool around with Linux while navigating as you imply.
you simply mount the linux environment (single click)
Start GPS WiFi share (single click) (needed at this point for opencpn to recognise the internal gps)
Launch linux desktop and start OpenCPN (two clicks)

The guy who wrote the "building on a Motorola Xoom" page doesn't post here any more but guided me thru the process over on SA.

I'm running OpenCPN with the exact charts you mention on my Sony Xperia 10.1 tablet

To reiterate the linux install is not on top of the existing android one and I can still access all the tablets usual apps and run them at the same time ...nothing is changed.

So the answer to the thread subject is yes there is a solution...however it is not a point and click install but it IS a point and click run.
mhasting2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 15:46   #64

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Thanks

I stand corrected on the Linux.

I have learned that Android is built over a Linux kernal, with some unusual libraries developed by google. So running OpenCPN over the Linux kernel is reasonable.

I would like to be able to use it on my unlocked Galaxy S3.

Just looking for a backup. Most boats I am driving have a proper chart plotter and mounted GPS. Just nice to have charts and a gps in your hip pocket.

It is probably a bit more of a project than I want right now to try to get a Linux source code app to work on a Galaxy phone.

Looks like the best path is to use GE2KAP to make some .kap charts, and load them into some commercial off the shelf app.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 15:19   #65

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

FWIW, SEAIQ for iphone can load CM93. I wish someone would hurry up and hook us up with a droid app that would do this, but meanwhile my iphone gets a reprieve. As long as my iphone can use CM93 and none of my Android devices can, then I guess I will keep that darn iphone around a little while longer.

BTW, the jailbreak for iOS 7 is out now. Kind of cludgy because they never gave Saurik any lead time to upgrade Mobile Substrate, but the issues are with Mobile Substrate and not the jailbreak, so the jailbreak is safe to use, and you can simply download the new Mobile Substrate via Cydia when Saurik has it finished. Why mention that? Because I had my iphone jailbroken on iOS5.1 and SEAIQ requires at least iOS6, and it was too late to upgrade to iOS6 and jailbreak, so I had to upgrade to iOS7 which did not have a jailbreak yet so I lost my jailbreak. I would assume that some other user somewhere is in the same situation. Google for evasi0n7. The "0" is a zero.

Tags
charts, paracelle