Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2018, 12:56   #31

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: Computer navigation and tablet advice for idiot please!

I'am using a Raspberry Pi3 with the latest version of OpenPlotter.

works as a multiplexer, wifi access point, VNC server, OpenCPN and much more

With a VNC client you can use the Raspberry desktop wireless on any other system.

Only transfering the data for AIS and GPS to another navigation system is also possible.

I'am using an HDMI daylight monitor. But it can also work stand-alone. Works also great wireless on a Chromebook. The only thing you have to do is installing VNC client.

The power consumption is very low. Including my 10" monitor it is only 10 Watts.

All this is working from an microSD card.
verkerkbr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 13:36   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyjon View Post
If if just does WiFi it does not have GPS built in. The ones with GPS also do WiFi though.

Apple? they all have GPS, but cellular capable (with or without an account) are as much as 10x more accurate than mere wireless, that is to say 300 ft to 30ft accuracy, and the device polls more so it doesnt get lost as often

Really if I was interested in wasting my money on a tablet device rather than a chartplotterm even a second hand one, Id be looking at 3rd party cellular, that is if this plan is about saving money rather than some love for these devices.
Old 24-06-2018, 13:45   #33

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
Bite the bullet. Buy an IPad. Apple technology will continue to dominate. You will end up spending more time and money fighting it. If you enjoy spending a lot of your time learning & dealing with technology, then more power to you.
Although not perfectly apropos; we had a saying in the computer biz:
You can always tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs.
My experience has been total opposite to this advice. I see them as unreasonably more expensive and far greater pain in the butt. After using the Samsung for the past few years I'd not go with anything else.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 13:50   #34

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

You would probably be best looking at a good quality business machine. Generally they are more robust with much larger memory and disc space and better battery capacity (designed to last a full work day!). For serious nav stuff windows OS has definite advantages. Solid state discs are also a big plus, much faster and larger capacity. Android laptops use what is basically a built in memory stick. So yes something like a Samsung Galaxy 7 or 10 or equivalent will do the job and costs $3-400. But for the same price you can get something like a refurbished Dell 2 in 1 business with a 128GB SSD disk, an I5 processor, 8Gb memory twin batteries with a 12hr life and a performance the same as a high end laptop. I have found that 'big name' brands like Dell HP and Lenovo (iBM) are much better built and last twice as long so refurbished ones are a good buy. Budget brands as refurbished machines are much more risky. The 2 in 1 means the keyboard is removable so you can either fun it as a laptop or take the keyboard off and stick it on a wall with a magnetic mount so it runs like a chart plotter. If you are not on a budget the new price for these will be $1500-2500.

Currently I am running a Dell Venue 11 Pro with Software On Board nav system and Cmap charts. I got it refurbished for $300 I also have a Samsung Galaxy 7 running cut down Cmap charts and Plan2nav as my backup. The galaxy cost just under $400 new and is fine as a backup but quite limited.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 13:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
My experience has been total opposite to this advice. I see them as unreasonably more expensive and far greater pain in the butt. After using the Samsung for the past few years I'd not go with anything else.
And as soon as Apple gets a generation away from the one you have the apple store will no longer support your old apps.
brmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 15:15   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
As far as I know, most have GPS, with or without cellular. I've never seen one without GPS, although that doesn't mean they don't exist...

-Chris

The one that the OP linked to doesn't have GPS.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 15:33   #37

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

A thought on GPS. While the GPS built into many tablets works it is not as sensitive as a good marine one. I have always used a dedicated marine GPS with an external aerial. I have always used either as network GPS or a dedicated USB unit. On a windows machine this is not a problem but with tablets it can be because they have no ports to plug anything in! Also an issue for backing up data. If you nave computer is also where you store files, do emails etc this could be worth thinking about (depends how far you expect to range.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 16:14   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
A thought on GPS. While the GPS built into many tablets works it is not as sensitive as a good marine one. I have always used a dedicated marine GPS with an external aerial. I have always used either as network GPS or a dedicated USB unit. On a windows machine this is not a problem but with tablets it can be because they have no ports to plug anything in! Also an issue for backing up data. If you nave computer is also where you store files, do emails etc this could be worth thinking about (depends how far you expect to range.

The GPS in my old Samsung S2 phone and Motorola Xoom are plenty sensitive enough for me.

We're currently docked sitting on the first finger - exactly where Google maps on the phone and Navionics on the tablet both put us. That blue crcle on the phone is exactly where I'm sitting on the portside of the saloon.

Note: on both devices, Wifi is switched off and Location Services is only using GPS.

Sorry about the quality of the images, they were taken with the webcam on my laptop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S2GoogleMaps.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	172354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Navionics-AndroidTablet.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	172355  

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 17:52   #39

Keep it simple go to the Navionics web site and see what tablets are compatible the go to a store and play or search on the internet to see what completes your needs.
Billnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 18:53   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post

this is all true. My now dead ipad was so difficult to connect or transfer files I resorted to emailing images from it to my email acc where I could pick them up on a windows box. On the upside the cameras are usually quite good, video better than 'quite'.

That said, Panasonic Toughbook and Toughpad are a reasonable devices that I would be interested in, but I suspect not cheap, and no good at all in bright sunlight.

Old 24-06-2018, 19:27   #41

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
Bite the bullet. Buy an IPad. Apple technology will continue to dominate. You will end up spending more time and money fighting it. If you enjoy spending a lot of your time learning & dealing with technology, then more power to you.
Although not perfectly apropos; we had a saying in the computer biz:
You can always tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs.
That's hilarious, thanks! Have they settled on a charging cord yet? Anyhoo, this might be an option;
https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/03...rom%20%251%24s
Nor much of the world is using the fruit devices, everyone I see is using android, but I'm not in the North American suburbs, so I might be missing something.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 19:59   #42

Boat: Beneteau First 45F5, Adams 12

I love my Samsung Active 8, I am about to buy another as a spare as they are hard to get now. I run it with Navionics and a Pongo pin charging dock. It's a waterproof, rugged, cheap with GPS and cellular.
Leakie Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 01:32   #43

Boat: Pearson 30

Very interesting and informative postings. I’m also researching tablets and Nav software and found That operating systems also have to be compatible with the specific software. For example, INavx requires 8.0 or better operating system with iPad. Good luck with your search!

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 04:01   #44

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRyan View Post
If you go the tablet route, buy a waterproof plastic enclosure so you can keep it outside by the wheel.

Yep, agree, good idea.

When we shopped for our most recent Samsung tablet, I first went to the Otterbox website to learn for which models they make cases... and then bought both tablet and box at the same time.

There are some quirks with that. Sometimes cases (not just from Otterbox) are available for one of two tablet models with the same name. In our last instance, the box had to be specific to the "2018" version of the tablet...

-Chris
Old 25-06-2018, 04:07   #45

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
We have
C-Map on Maxsea TZ on the laptop
Samsung tablet in the cockpit as a wireless repeater for the laptop

How do you do that, please?

-Chris

Tags
lease, navigation