Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2018, 04:14   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Computer navigation and tablet advice for idiot please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
How do you do that, please?

-Chris

Several ways. TightVNC on the laptop and Remote Ripple on the tablet is one good, simple way.

https://www.tightvnc.com/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iewerpro&hl=en
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 05:41   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmoney View Post
And as soon as Apple gets a generation away from the one you have the apple store will no longer support your old apps.
I have a nine year old cellular iPad loaded with iNavx and all the European charts. It still charges and works fine.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 06:18   #48

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Thanks for all the responses so far. It’s been a help. Yesterday I decided to install Open CPN and some of the free Brazilian raster charts on my laptop to see how it runs and looks. I wasn’t exactly thrilled. I realize that raster charts are basically just scans of paper charts, so I can’t fault Open CPN for the way they looked on the screen. What I didn’t like was that I had to keep zooming out to then zoom in on the next area covered by a different chart. If I were planning a route from, say, Ubatuba to Rio, I would not be able to seamlessly view the route without all the zooming in and out. The Brazilian charts are pretty good, but it’s certainly easier to have a paper one open on the chart table to view rather than viewing it in Open CPN.

Then I went to the Navionics site to check out their charts for Brazil. I thought they were very good- a lot of detail and easy to zoom in and out of over a massive area (from Tierra del Fuego to the Caribbean). I don’t know how accurate they are for Brazil, but they seem to provide a lot of detail. I currently use Garmin G2 Vision charts and I’ve found them to be extremely accurate for the Brazilian coast so far.

Well, I’ve drawn a few conclusions based on this and the input from this thread:

If I want to use Open CPN I need a device with Windows/Ubuntu or Mac OS. I will have to hunt down digital charts for the areas I want to cruise (and they may not be the best charts). Personally, I wouldn’t use Open CPN with the Brazilian charts for navigating on the Brazilian coast- I’d stick to the paper ones and my Garmin charts. When I leave Brazil, the charts may be better and Open CPN a better tool.

If I want to use Navionics I have to buy the chart chip (USD 199 for the South America to Caribbean chip). It’s not a fortune and the charts seem very good (to be verified in use, of course). To use Navionics I need an Android (or similar OS) tablet.

The tablets people have been suggesting seem to be in the USD 400 range- much more than I thought I would spend. As I mentioned, I’m going to use the tablet as a backup system and only at the nav table inside. I have a Garmin chartplotter mounted outside under the hard dodger. The tablet would be more for route planning and having a second charting program going on at the same time. I like the idea of being able to compare both. Also, I currently only use a GPS and paper charts at the nav table and would like to have a chartplotting screen at the table as well (in addition to the paper chart open on the table). I thought a tablet might be an inexpensive solution for this (but it seems not so inexpensive when it’s all said and done). I also like the idea of a tablet for getting internet, weather, emails and even working on board (with Word files), saving me from having to lug my laptop around. The reason I don’t want an iPad is because I would like to be able to work from the tablet when I need to and all my work is done in Word.

Please correct me if my conclusions are wrong. I’d still love to find a cheap solution for my needs (like for around USD150), but I think I may be dreaming…
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 07:27   #49

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
The tablets people have been suggesting seem to be in the USD 400 range- much more than I thought I would spend.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 16 gB version we got in 2016 was US $267. The newer Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2018) 32 gB version was US $294. Those both from Amazon.

-Chris
Old 25-06-2018, 08:27   #50

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
The Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 16 gB version we got in 2016 was US $267. The newer Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2018) 32 gB version was US $294. Those both from Amazon.

-Chris
When I search for this tablet in Canada it seems to be over CDN 400 everywhere.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 08:41   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporware View Post
Very few Android tablets which don't have cellular data capability have a built in GPS.
Unless you really bottom of the barrel outdated clearance model....they all have GPS (cellular ready or not). Do check before buying but even down to $50-75 units you can get GPS included.

5-10yrs ago, this was an issue.

The bigger issue is brightness and waterproof but if you are using it an inside nav station, those aren't big issues.

Get yourself a 12v charger and battery life isn't a big deal either.

While we use the laptop as primary, we have a $100 Samsung (bought a couple years back) that acts as a backup and playing with it on the water, it's just as accurate as the GPS puck and typically shows us within 10' of our location (even top of the line dedicated units will have random location errors that can exceed 30').
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 17:01   #52

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I highly suggest Open CPN and google charts for really dependable accuract throughout the world from the US as far as Australia. Probably much farhter but thats as far as I have been. Garmin chart plotters are in my experience the worse and by the time you get to French Polinesia unsafe.When I bought 900.00 dollars worth I called up and asked a Garmin represenitive about updates and she said absolitely and was indignant I would even ask. She was full of BS. When I approached Beverage Reef coming fromFrench Polynesia The supposidly updated chart showed it covered with 10 fathoms of water at mean low tide. I heard the waves crashing on the reef dead ahead at less than ahalf mile. I promptl did a 90% turn to port and missed being on that very reef.
I now use Navionics on the plotter at the helm and Open CPN on a laptop with Google Earth Charts on the Nav Station out of the weather but where I can lean in the Companionway and see it. They have daylight viewable slave screens which would be nice but this is a very good workable system. I also suggest an say 200- 400 watt inverter to keep your laptop charged up. Cheers
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 17:34   #53

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
My experience has been total opposite to this advice. I see them as unreasonably more expensive and far greater pain in the butt. After using the Samsung for the past few years I'd not go with anything else.
++ 1 on that, my experience also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
I highly suggest Open CPN and google charts for really dependable accuract throughout the world from the US as far as Australia. Probably much farhter but thats as far as I have been. Garmin chart plotters are in my experience the worse and by the time you get to French Polinesia unsafe.When I bought 900.00 dollars worth I called up and asked a Garmin represenitive about updates and she said absolitely and was indignant I would even ask. She was full of BS. When I approached Beverage Reef coming fromFrench Polynesia The supposidly updated chart showed it covered with 10 fathoms of water at mean low tide. I heard the waves crashing on the reef dead ahead at less than ahalf mile. I promptl did a 90% turn to port and missed being on that very reef. ...
No offence Philiosophy, but don't blame only the manufacturer.... relying on an electronic device as a sole means of navigation is bad seamanship. But I digress.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 17:48   #54

Boat: Cal 33-2

Quote:
The newer Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2018) 32 gB version was US $294. Those both from Amazon.

-Chris
Currently $200 at Best Buy.
Old 28-06-2018, 09:33   #55

Boat: San Juan 21

Originally Posted by roland stockham Albro359:
Having looked at the Navionics on the iPads and our B&G plotter and seen the reality in Western Fiji, Navionics is downright dangerous.

Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post:
A thought on GPS. While the GPS built into many tablets works it is not as sensitive as a good marine one.

Originally Posted by roland stockham philiosophy:
Garmin chart plotters are in my experience the worse and by the time you get to French Polinesia unsafe.

Originally Posted by roland stockham SVTatia:
relying on an electronic device as a sole means of navigation is bad seamanship.

After reading this thread (and others), it seems that paper charts are the only way to be safe. I that correct?

Thanks.
Herb Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 10:05   #56

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

A point about gear design. It is not always about what it does but more about what it is designed for. I crossed the Atlantic and got caught in the effects of super storm Sandy. We had 2 weeks of enhanced trades bowing 30-35kn but big cross seas slamming into the side of the boat and green water sweeping the deck. It was so wet we had to sleep in oilskins for 2 weeks. Lost every stitch of canvas topsides. ALL the none marine electronics failed, 2 laptops, 2 phones, cameras the lot. We even lost the paper chart, turned into pappier mache on the chart table! The Icom radios, Garmin GPS systems and ARC radar did not even blink and are still fine. While I love my laptop nav system I now always plan to be able to pack it in a pelican case in bad weather and have something built for marine use available for basic nav. Does not need detailed charts as, if it is that bad, I will be hove to or running off at sea not heading into port. Bear this in mind when looking at laptops and tablets.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 14:33   #57

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Opencpn runs nice under Android on a Samsung Active Tab 2.
Still, the Sailgrib Android App has a better user interface.

On a PC OpenCPN is hard to beat. Awesome free piece of software!
Old 28-06-2018, 15:37   #58

Get bulletproof Doogee s60 or Ulefone Armor 2. On deck it works perfectly with Navionics, Sailgrib WR and WatchMate AIS app. Down below laptop with Maxsea Navigator or Adrena.
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 12:26   #59

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10" from Woot.com for $200.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 04:53   #60

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Miller View Post
After reading this thread (and others), it seems that paper charts are the only way to be safe. I that correct?

Not IMO. Depends on where you are, quality of paper or electronic charts for that area, your own abilities/acumen/determination, etc.

An example: Six of our devices/app combinations will use our NOAA raster charts. A paper copy is essentially only an out-dated version of the latest electronic copy (although maybe only few changes have been made since the most recent download). Still, which is safer?

Well, it depends. An electronic version can usually zoom in/out over all the charts knitted together at a specific place, so you may have 3-5 chart presentations available for a given area, depending on level of zoom. Might youhave all of those charts in paper? Maybe. Can be cumbersome...

But what if you don't zoom? Can be dangerous. Who's fault is that?

Similar pros/cons exist for vector charts (vs. raster) and brand of vector vs. brand of vector. And some charts for some areas are apparently more accurate than others, no matter whether paper or electronic.

And much still depends on the user.

FWIW, we've found it useful to use several different e-chart systems at various zoom levels simultaneously -- for cross-checking (NOAA raster, NOAA vector, C-Map vector, Transas vector. Not all that cumbersome to do that, using plotter, tablet, laptop, etc.

-Chris

Tags
lease, navigation