Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2020, 18:18   #46

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Chart plotter, gps, sonar suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by killyourguitar View Post
Man thanks for the heads up on the personal identifiers... I had no idea. Doesn't really matter to me though because they already know who I am and where I am and they have already robbed me blind and beat my family to Pieces so there's nothing left to take, they don't want my life because they'd rather have the money. Okay, don't get me started lol
The problem is not that say, eBay, reads that: they created it to track some things for their own purposes. The problem is that any of us can read that, and more to the point when we use the link the site uses that data whether appropriate or not. So putting it out there on a public forum is not always the best idea.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 18:40   #47

Boat: MacGregor Venture 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The problem is not that say, eBay, reads that: they created it to track some things for their own purposes. The problem is that any of us can read that, and more to the point when we use the link the site uses that data whether appropriate or not. So putting it out there on a public forum is not always the best idea.

Greg
Right on, I appreciate your thoughtfulness Greg. One thing about it, the Sailing Community is full of great and knowledgeable people which to McGee is a blessing. Thank you!
killyourguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 02:38   #48

Raspberry Pi setup and hardware summary

https://youtu.be/r8CGixMl18k
Old 30-07-2020, 04:42   #49

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I have a Toshiba Satellite that works OK with OpenCPN installed and charts loaded, no gps at present.

I have an old Note 3 that's in good shape running OpenCPN as well and it has gps. (So far I can't get the gps feed to the non-bluetooth laptop.)

I have decent basic outdated Signet nav instruments in the cockpit; wind direction, speed, knot log, compass, depth sounder and it all works pretty well.

I have one outdated local paper chart and wonder if I could print charts from OpenCPN...
I used my Toshiba Satellite Laptop to test OpenCPN 5.0 (and 5.2) with a GPS Puck and it worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the same puck with my Raspberry Pi.

The "little boat" shows up on the chart at my apartment using the Toshiba since it's very close to the water. Perfect for testing the computers before taking them to the boat.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 05:47   #50

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

The Garmin 5212 chart plotter and GPS antenna are available from my friend if anyone is interested. This large display unit is overkill for the skipper's 25' boat. It would be wonderful for a bigger boat, especially one with a wheel and helm. I have mine interfaced with an AIS VHF and now with Raymarine instruments via NMEA 2000. Get back to me if interested.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:15   #51

Send a message via Yahoo to rupertfb Send a message via Skype™ to rupertfb

Just a thought: Consider a cheap/used fish finder GPS/depth sounder - where the transducer mounts externally on the transom. These can be lifted/tilted out of the water to prevent weed growth when not required and obviously doesn’t require yet another hole drilled in the hull
rupertfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:10   #52

I bought a under $100 Android tablet on Amazon, and AquaMaps US for $18 - Lifetime subscription covers all US and Canada. I can expand that incrementally, I just made sure the tablet had integrated true GPS receiver, not dependent on wi-fi or cell networks.
rwaldrop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:22   #53

Quote:
I have a couple of hundred bucks so I know I haven't the luxury to make much of a decision but I am skimming the top of the dumpsters looking for the best bang for my little 200 ducketts. I am planning to get lost on a possible circumnavigation. I don't mind used equipment as it'll likely be my first option but I'll listen to what any of you have to say on the matter.

I was looking at the Garmin handhelds that float but I really need something that's going to give me good chart access and the information I need to stay out of trouble. I'm not sure the handheld has all that and I'm not proud but I don't want to make "that" call in any case. I just want to go about my way safely as possible and not get too lost.

/snip/
Thank you, come again please. D:

You had me at ducketts - consider also sovereigns, guineas, schillings, rupees, ducats, dinars, yuan and talents.
Have to admire the man with a 25 footer and a thirst for circumnavigation with a $200 nav budget. But what MOST pleases me in this terrain of the 40 ft cruisers is the pleasant, helpful responses he obtained. Good on ya!
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:24   #54

Boat: 42' Steel schooner, 26' Gaff Ketch, 14' Catboat

For a good chartplotter option on a serious budget, I don't think you can do better than a decent used iPad in a waterproof case, and the free software OpenCpn. All the charts in the US are available for free download from NOAA.
OpenCpn will also show you an "instrument" showing depth, speed, wind, etc, etc. if you have that data from sensors.
The rest of the features on a dedicated chartplotter are "nice to haves" and not really worth spending hundreds to thousands to get.

You will find this setup on a number of the serious rond-the-world cruisers, like s/v Delos for instance.
Paul_Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:56   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Carroll View Post
For a good chartplotter option on a serious budget, I don't think you can do better than a decent used iPad in a waterproof case, and the free software OpenCpn. All the charts in the US are available for free download from NOAA.
OpenCpn will also show you an "instrument" showing depth, speed, wind, etc, etc. if you have that data from sensors.
The rest of the features on a dedicated chartplotter are "nice to haves" and not really worth spending hundreds to thousands to get.

You will find this setup on a number of the serious rond-the-world cruisers, like s/v Delos for instance.
I like it! TY! ♡♡♡
Old 03-08-2020, 11:21   #56

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

+1 on all the comments below.
So you want to circumnavigate with a McGregor 25 and a $200 budget for nav gear? if there is a small Island near you, say up to 3 miles long, it can be a good place to start practicing.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Except that not getting lost (or getting) has nothing to do with having (or not) a chart in the gps.

Most smartphones have gps inside, so if you want a 'plotter' simply set it up with a chart of your area and that's that.

If there are many booby traps where you sail, do get a depth sounder though. And then stay in deep water. Rocks, shoals and other such are best watched from a long mile.

I like handhelds. I can keep one in the pocket, no need to fix it anywhere. I can check what the boat is doing also from my bunk then.

barnakiel
Old 03-08-2020, 13:07   #57

Boat: Sabre 36, Pearson 34. Boatless

I would try and get a older iPad that has no gps. Sync it with a Bad Elf which gives the iPad gps. Then use something like Navionics. You end up with a good size plotter. Always have a back up like a small Garmin gps that gives lat Lon. And some paper charts always. You want it to be fun, not a suicide mission.
Normanskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 13:09   #58

Boat: Sabre 36, Pearson 34. Boatless

Smart phones require either a cell signal or WiFi to engage their gps.
Normanskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 13:24   #59

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanskier View Post
Smart phones require either a cell signal or WiFi to engage their gps.

Not if you're using an app that stores the maps and other data it needs locally on the phone. Any semi-modern smartphone has a full GPS receiver in it that doesn't rely on external networks to function.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 14:16   #60

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Not if you're using an app that stores the maps and other data it needs locally on the phone. Any semi-modern smartphone has a full GPS receiver in it that doesn't rely on external networks to function.

External to gps.

Gps is an external network already.

Just sayin'

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps