Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2020, 11:26   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Chart plotter, gps, sonar suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
I have a friend that may still have a Garmin 5212 chart plotter for sale. I have one and like it a lot. The 12", touch sensitive display is easy to read in daylight. It comes with charts of all of the US and Bahamas. I am not sure if he will sell it for $200 but maybe $400. A new equivalent is about $4000. Get back to me if interested.
Looks like he's going the OpenCPN route which means if he adds a $17.00 GPS Puck and connects it he'll have a chart plotter for about $17.00 plus what ever device he is downloading OpenCPN to.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 11:31   #32

Boat: MacGregor Venture 25

I think that's the way to go. Laptops are for the office especially as hard as I am on them.
killyourguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 11:35   #33

It's all up to each Skipper, but for $200-$400 you can have several chart plotters using Laptops or Raspberry Pi Computers/monitors with Open CPN 5.2 and a GPS Puck.
Old 29-07-2020, 11:38   #34

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

OpenCPN is a good way to go and vector charts of the world are shared among cruisers. I use it a backup and navigating inside the cabin. I have not found a PC or tablet that is readable in sun light and I want the chart plotter display at the helm and bought the Garmin 5212. The display is sunlight readable. Garmin offers SD card charts of the world that the 5212 can use for mucho $$$$$. PCs and tablets are not waterproof either.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 11:39   #35

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If you can get a good deal on a plotter like that, mount the plotter at the helm. Then use the laptop with OpenCPN for planning while down below and as a backup, being that it's a super cheap solution if you already have a laptop to use.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 11:45   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
OpenCPN is a good way to go and vector charts of the world are shared among cruisers. I use it a backup and navigating inside the cabin. I have not found a PC or tablet that is readable in sun light and I want the chart plotter display at the helm and bought the Garmin 5212. The display is sunlight readable. Garmin offers SD card charts of the world that the 5212 can use for mucho $$$$$. PCs and tablets are not waterproof either.
Yeah, it's different for everyone.

My "helm" is at my companionway since I'm either on autopilot or if trying to anchor or navigate through low water I'm on the tiller behind the dodger at the companionway watching the monitor down below in the cabin which is out of the sunlight

I used charts before this so it's a vast improvement since I just built up my chart plotters w/AIS (RPi) this Spring and Summer (Laptop Chartplotter)

Especially since at the time my boat was well heeled over and I'm trying to read a chart that's blowing in the wind while I skirting the edge of a shoal for a few miles watching the depth finder along with GPS and reading the chart coming out of some of these smaller bays
Old 29-07-2020, 14:51   #37

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I think the original post is a bit amusing: only $200 to spend but CHIRP is wanted. CHIRP fish finders are state-of-the-art, not inexpensive at all, and of almost no value to cruisers. From other posts it is clear the OP is new to this, so the first bit of advice is to learn before spending any money - which is what is happening here. Since even a used chartplotter with charts beyond the US is not going to be priced even close to $200 it makes a lot of sense to use OpenCPN if a laptop is available, or even the Android version on a tablet or phone. For the laptop a USB GPS puck is the ticket - if you need help on acquiring PM me. Windows has incorporated some drivers that provide location services, which may be a problem, right along with wanting signed drivers. I don't do Windows...

If you have some IT skills (not a lot needed) buy a Raspberry Pi 4 and install OpenPlotter, which includes OCPN and a whole lot more. Then choose a bright HDMI display and mount it somewhere convenient and dry, and you have a poor man's chartplotter with many other capabilities. Instead of buying a GPS puck for the Pi consider buying the Moitessier "HAT" (see the OpenPlotter site) and you will have that and more. Then the laptop/GPS puck can be a backup to the Pi/Moitessier HAT.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 15:09   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I think the original post is a bit amusing: only $200 to spend but CHIRP is wanted. CHIRP fish finders are state-of-the-art, not inexpensive at all, and of almost no value to cruisers. From other posts it is clear the OP is new to this, so the first bit of advice is to learn before spending any money - which is what is happening here. Since even a used chartplotter with charts beyond the US is not going to be priced even close to $200 it makes a lot of sense to use OpenCPN if a laptop is available, or even the Android version on a tablet or phone. For the laptop a USB GPS puck is the ticket - if you need help on acquiring PM me. Windows has incorporated some drivers that provide location services, which may be a problem, right along with wanting signed drivers. I don't do Windows...

If you have some IT skills (not a lot needed) buy a Raspberry Pi 4 and install OpenPlotter, which includes OCPN and a whole lot more. Then choose a bright HDMI display and mount it somewhere convenient and dry, and you have a poor man's chartplotter with many other capabilities. Instead of buying a GPS puck for the Pi consider buying the Moitessier "HAT" (see the OpenPlotter site) and you will have that and more. Then the laptop/GPS puck can be a backup to the Pi/Moitessier HAT.

Greg
Great ideas but it appears they are out of stock on the Moitessier "HAT" or I would have already bought one.

https://shop.sailoog.com/openplotter...ssier-hat.html

So I have my GPS/AIS data coming down into my Raspberry Pi 4 via my SH GX2200 VHF with the puck as backup.

The laptop is a later edition and so far it's just a chart plotter
Old 29-07-2020, 15:17   #39

Quote:

Greg
Thanks Greg! Something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GlobalSat-B...25da%7Ciid%3A1

And

https://www.rooco.eu/products/moites...-ais-receiver/

And

https://www.ebay.com/i/193146839048?...SABEgJwcvD_BwE
Old 29-07-2020, 15:20   #40

Great info you guys thank you! ...and keep it coming
Old 29-07-2020, 15:36   #41

I have a Toshiba Satellite that works OK with OpenCPN installed and charts loaded, no gps at present.

I have an old Note 3 that's in good shape running OpenCPN as well and it has gps. (So far I can't get the gps feed to the non-bluetooth laptop.)

I have decent basic outdated Signet nav instruments in the cockpit; wind direction, speed, knot log, compass, depth sounder and it all works pretty well.

I have one outdated local paper chart and wonder if I could print charts from OpenCPN...
Old 29-07-2020, 16:49   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

I can only remember two times in last 15 years that I navigated 'by the plotter' - one time it was night and raining so I could not navigate otherwise. And I had to as the wind turned round and we ran for another anchorage in complete darkness.

At all other times, and it probably counts as thousands, I simply memorize the approaches and then go by heart. Yes, now and then I may look up a sketch I made - if passing some kind of mark I have on the sketch. And off course - whenever passing one that was clearly NOT on my sketch ... ;-)

So, to me, plotter is the last thing I need. It is there, OK, but it gets hardly any real use.

Gps I use more often - as my piloting backup and as my speedo.

Depth I use whenever we are inshore. I would hate to sail without one.

If I were to do without most instruments, I would still keep the depth sounder.

We have a plain Ray 40. Old, reliable, with HUGE digits and always readable in daylight (it is of the liquid crystal kind).

I was on a friends boat, he has the newest i70 as depth. Super gadget if pricey. Frankly, I could see (---) on the screen in the Caribbean glare. OK, I could read the digits when I took off my shades, but then I could hardly read the water ... Even then, I would vote for bigger digits. I like things big and clear.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 17:01   #43

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killyourguitar View Post
Thanks Greg! Something like this?

[url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/GlobalSat-BU-353-Waterproof-USB-GPS-Receiver-w-CD/174277722052[url]
That is an oldie but goodie; it will work fine for GPS and should be compatible for most applications. But for about the same money you should be able to find one that does GPS and GLONASS, and possibly Galileo and Beidou, but that is really just for geeks as it won't improve accuracy over GPS, at least with today's technology, and switching is very difficult.

I haven't kept up - didn't know there is a new HAT design for the Pi 4. Yes, that would be great. But patience is required as availability is months out. Amuse yourself with OCPN in the interim. You could buy a Pi 4 now and install OpenPlotter, then add the HAT later when available.

Quote:
And

[url]https://www.ebay.com/i/193146839048[url]
I would probably not source the Pi 4 from eBay. There are dealers that sell them at the same price that include accessories, with better after sale support if needed. Also, the Pi 4 just went through an update that fixes some problems so you want the post-update model if possible. The 8GB version was just released and all of them include the update, but ones with smaller RAM could be either - be sure to ask. For $80 you can get the Pi 4 with power supply, heat sinks, etc from Canakit: https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-4GB-Basic-Kit/dp/B07TXKY4Z9 . You might want to opt for one of the larger kits that includes more accessories. This 8GB kit (and thus upgraded) would be a good choice: https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-8GB-Starter-Kit/dp/B08956GVXN/ref=sr_1_3 . If you buy the HAT you might have to drill some holes in the case, or even replace the case, but the fan that is mounted to the case is a good idea.

BTW for all of you including URLs in a post: remove everything from the question mark through the end, leaving it between the url labels. That deleted information can hold personally identifying information.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 17:36   #44

Quote:
That is an oldie but goodie; it will work fine for GPS and should be compatible for most applications. But for about the same money you should be able to find one that does GPS and GLONASS, and possibly Galileo and Beidou, but that is really just for geeks as it won't improve accuracy over GPS, at least with today's technology, and switching is very difficult.

I haven't kept up - didn't know there is a new HAT design for the Pi 4. Yes, that would be great. But patience is required as availability is months out. Amuse yourself with OCPN in the interim. You could buy a Pi 4 now and install OpenPlotter, then add the HAT later when available.

I would probably not source the Pi 4 from eBay. There are dealers that sell them at the same price that include accessories, with better after sale support if needed. Also, the Pi 4 just went through an update that fixes some problems so you want the post-update model if possible. The 8GB version was just released and all of them include the update, but ones with smaller RAM could be either - be sure to ask. For $80 you can get the Pi 4 with power supply, heat sinks, etc from Canakit: https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-4GB-Basic-Kit/dp/B07TXKY4Z9 . You might want to opt for one of the larger kits that includes more accessories. This 8GB kit (and thus upgraded) would be a good choice: https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-8GB-Starter-Kit/dp/B08956GVXN/ref=sr_1_3 . If you buy the HAT you might have to drill some holes in the case, or even replace the case, but the fan that is mounted to the case is a good idea.

BTW for all of you including URLs in a post: remove everything from the question mark through the end, leaving it between the url labels. That deleted information can hold personally identifying information.

Greg
Man thanks for the heads up on the personal identifiers... I had no idea. Doesn't really matter to me though because they already know who I am and where I am and they have already robbed me blind and beat my family to Pieces so there's nothing left to take, they don't want my life because they'd rather have the money. Okay, don't get me started lol
Old 29-07-2020, 17:45   #45

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much, everyone! ♡♡♡

Tags
gps