Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2023, 16:15   #1

Boat: Northwind 50
Can I pass through the Galapagos?

I’m just about to leave for the Marquises and the current routing shows me passing through the Galapagos. Is this permitted as long as I don’t land?
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 16:28   #2

Re: Can I pass through the Galapagos?

Of issue is whether one is just exercising right of innocent passage to navigate continuously without stopping through the waters of the territory, or if one is entering, i.e., anchoring / mooring. Whereas landing - going ashore is yet another thing requiring request free pratique and likely visas.

You may need to obtain an Autografo - cruising permit to enter the territory, they are very pedantic [rightfully so] about biosecurity particularly as to having your hull cleaned.

References:

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/enc...0the%20islands.

https://www.noonsite.com/place/galapagos/

https://yachtagentsgalapagos.com/cru...n%20Government.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 16:32   #3

Re: Can I pass through the Galapagos?

FYI:

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/enchantedislescruising/483078#:~:text=Every%20private%20vessel%20visiting %20the%20Galapagos%20Islands%20archipelago,days%20 in%20advance%20to%20navigating%20towards%20the%20i slands.

The Passage Grant

Every private vessel visiting the Galapagos Islands archipelago needs to request a passage grant - called the Autógrafo - Ecuadorean defense ministry. Grants should be obtained prior to entering in the Galapagos Marine Hold. It's suggested that the process be initiated at least 60 days in advance to navigating towards the islands.

What is the Autografo ?

An Autógrafo is passage approval given by the Ecuadorean public authorities. It is the Galapagos cruising permit needed for private boats and yachts which:

• Intend to navigate inside the Galapagos Marine hold and national park.
• Will navigate between the Galapagos ports on Santa Cruz, San Cristobal, Floreana and Isabela Islands.

Note: The Autografo does not grant passage to navigate to Galapagos park visitor sites. An additional permit is required.

How to get the Autografo ?

To apply for an Autógrafo cruise permit for the Galapagos archipelago, you need the following paperwork:

• Copy of yacht registration.
Documentation showing the boat's technical information, including length, beam, draft, gross tonnage, flag nationality, official number and name of the vessel, call sign and MMSI of the vessel.
Certification for black water or wastewater.
• Evidence that the boat has an Automatic Identification System (AIS) transmitter and receiver.
• Copy of passenger and crew list, along with their nationality.
• Copy of all crew and passenger passports.
• Declaration of estimated arrival and departure dates.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 17:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can I pass through the Galapagos?

I passed around 5nm N and W of Isabela, quite an interesting confluence of currents just to the W.. a clear dividing line of calm water going one way and wavelets heading the other.
Saw a patrol boat follow me for a bit then it headed off as I cleared the NW corner.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Galapagos