Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2022, 04:15   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Best iPad chart/navigation app

We don't do iThings, but...

On our Android tablets, we use Aqua Map most, sometimes especially useful for us because it includes our Corp of Engineers' survey data (in app purchase) for skinny places like the AICW. The app also includes markers from ActiveCaptain and the Waterway Guide. Some of those features probably not useful to you, but we've found it to be a decent nav app. They do an iThing version...

We have iSailor. It's "OK" -- except they don't have a version to run on the newest Android operating system... which happens to coincide with the tablet we use most for nav backup... so we don't use iSailor all that much.

We use TimeZero on the ship's laptop, and it's VERY good. They don't offer an Android version, but I understand they make an iThing version and if so that'd get my attention if we used that ecosystem. We use the Windows TZ specifically because it integrates nicely with our Furuno nav equipment, same chart files, etc.

-Chris
Old 17-05-2022, 08:43   #17

Hi guys, I used openCPN the latest version on Windows 10 tablet and what I like about it is you could use about any charts type, even Navionic one's. As I sail from Montreal to Ontario lake, then I have choice of plenty charts type. There is so many options to use the way you prefer. It run on Android, so I can use on my cell with the same chart as backup, if required. It run on IPAD too. OpenCPN is a great software to explore.
JonathanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 09:08   #18

Boat: Nordhavn 47

I use Navionics as my main planning tool. It's automatic routing makes trying different scenarios very easy. I like the raster charts that TZiBoats has for my main navigation function but usually have them both pulled up.
I recently used the AquaMaps and really like the Corp of Engineers Survey Data around some of the Atlantic Waterway inlets. It made the cost justifiable just for that function. I didn't like the rest of the app as much so I stick to the others unless I need that specific function.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 15:15   #19

I like AquaMap.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 15:32   #20

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

I also use Navionics as my main electronic navigation app.

I do my detailed planning on the iPad which then automagically syncs to my iPhone.

I keep my iPhone in my pocket and pull it out when needed.

Backed up by paper charts as well.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 15:32   #21

Boat: Blount, Cruise Ship 185`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm going to update my iPad navigation software. It's used as a backup to my primary Garmin chartplotters.

And yes, I know... it's been discussed a lot. Please don't tell me to search. Given that they keep changing, I'm interested in hearing what apps people are using now.

For reference, I've had iNavx for years. I might renew with them, but I'm not fully satisfied with this app.
I have used BOTH INAVX and NAVIONICS. I am using NAVIONICS now because I find it easier and much more comprehensive. ALSO, you can use Navionics charts on your other installed navigations systems and therefore have a seamless interface.
capt04530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 15:38   #22

Boat: Cape Barren Goose

Navionics.

It uses the Navy Hydro charts, is reasonably cheap and is easy to use. It also has a pin dropped for every fish I have caught, decent anchorage I have been to and tricky entrance I have passed since 2010.

I have nothing bad to say about it.
Old 17-05-2022, 15:39   #23

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

We are fans of Aqua Map. I just wrote an article about using it for our first season in the Bahamas. We had a great experience also using it in the US from West coast of Florida around and up to Chesapeake.

Here’s a link to the article I wrote. Aqua Map - Blog - Cruising The Bahamas
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 17:05   #24

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I use Navionics on Raymarine and as a backup on my iPad and phone. I am on the east coast and can vouch for the accuracy from New York to Antigua over the past year.
I found the map accuracy and quality and clarity best for me, there are a great many options with in the app for layers, I prefer the simple. In the past 4 years I have been sailing a 44 ft vessel with a 7.5 ft draft, and to a lesser extent a vessel with a 9 ft draft, no problems, no surprises.
Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 17:18   #25
OBT

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks folks. I should have added that I'm cruising east coast Canada, so looking for the best tool to access CHS charts. Although I may be venturing down the US east coast at some point.

I keep hearing good things about AquaMap. I still have iNavx, and could update my charts there. It's been pretty good, although I've suffered from disappearing charts a few times, and the interface has always seemed clunky to me.
For whatever reason, I get my Canada and US charts on Navionics for $26/year. wanted canadian charts on a chip for my old Raymarine chartplotter and they wanted over $500 for the chip. I've downloaded NB, NS and Newfoundland for an upcoming trip to Greenland and there's no problem with the useabilltiy. It might be a bit better with a GPS dongle, but it's pretty accurate with just the internal Ipad/Iphone gps sensors.

Stay on the deep side of the buoys,

OBT
OBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 17:30   #26

I use TimeZero with integrated Furuno WiFi Radar, Vespar AIS/WiFi and backbone. Puts all the sensors connected to the backbone in TimeZero and on my IPAD. It used the Vespar GPS and works great. I’ve only had it drop connections once or twice which is reconnected with cycling the WiFi option on the IPAD. I pay for the TimeZero charts annually. The AIS and radar overlay are one time purchases. I have ISailor as a back up. Both systems are viewable on both the IPAD and my IPhone (work phone). have I sailor on my android cellphone also.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 17:33   #27

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith8273 View Post
I used to be iNavX, but I never fully liked it.

Next I got iSailor and like it.

I just tried AquaMaps and seems nice, I especially like the chart/satellite slider. In chart mode you see the chart (aptly named, yes?), and the slider gradually superimposes the satellite view over the chart. Very nice. For example, chart mode only shows lines in the marina, give it some satellite, and you see the actual docks.
+1 for AquaMap.
I have been using it for a couple of years now and I like it for the stated feature above and that now they have also added wind, wave and current direction as overlays on your chart.
All charts are quickly and easily updated anytime you want with an Internet connection included in the price.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 17-05-2022, 17:53   #28

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Aquamaps -easy to use, cost effective, has Active Captain & Waterways Guide crowd sourced info embedded. You can cheaply add USACE sonar data for AICW. Add master version for Explorer charts for Bahamas. I run Navionics on my Simrad MFD’s but have an iPad at each helm -plugged in, running Aquamaps. Separate gps source, separate power source, separate OS. Redundancy =��
Old 17-05-2022, 18:22   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm liking Aqua Maps, but is it true that one needs to maintain an active (annual) subscription, or your charts become unusable? If I let a chart subscription lapse, do I lose access to the charts I've already loaded on my iPad?

With iNavx, the subscription gave me access to updates, or to reload the charts. But when my subscriptions lapsed, I still retained the charts on my iPad. It appears this may NOT be the case with Aqua Maps.
Old 17-05-2022, 19:41   #30

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatswing View Post
Aquamaps -easy to use, cost effective, has Active Captain & Waterways Guide crowd sourced info embedded. You can cheaply add USACE sonar data for AICW. Add master version for Explorer charts for Bahamas. I run Navionics on my Simrad MFD’s but have an iPad at each helm -plugged in, running Aquamaps. Separate gps source, separate power source, separate OS. Redundancy =��
Thank you Jeremy
I forgot to mention active captain and waterway guide in my recommendation for AquaMap.
I have the same set up as you except for the Ray marine chart plotter.

Al, S/V Finlandia

Tags
Ipad, navigation