Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2021, 19:00   #46

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Atlantic crossing from Mediterranean Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
you guys kill me...
LOL Not mentioning any names, but I know of a boat, admittedly on the larger side, that typically does actual 250nm days on passage as the norm (and that's 'throttled back' for ocean crossings), and who will motorsail if they can't do at least a 200nm day

Times are changing...

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:00   #47

I am thinking of doing an Atlantic crossing from Gibraltar, Canaries, Cap Verde to Antigua in April 2022. Is this a good idea?
Jelani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:35   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
LOL Not mentioning any names, but I know of a boat, admittedly on the larger side, that typically does actual 250nm days on passage as the norm (and that's 'throttled back' for ocean crossings), and who will motorsail if they can't do at least a 200nm day

Times are changing...

It's very much about waterline length.

My same friend who owns this boat, used to have a Swan 90. He crossed the Pacific on it and did a number of 300 mile days; 250 was typical in good trade winds conditions.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:03   #49

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We'll be crossing the Atlantic in December and the plan was to sail first to the Canaries and leave from there, but is there any point in the stop? The vessel is fast (some 250 mile days, and regularly 200+) and comfortable and we all like being at sea. Why not just go nonstop? I realize we will need some southing to catch the trades, but why would we constrain the routing with that stop if we don't need to?

I will be glad of any tips.
Why stop in the Caribbean? Go nonstop to the next destination after that...and after that. It's not the journey but the destination!

FWIW, we enjoyed the desolation of the less visited Canary islands, the diving, restaurants, and the people way more than the Caribbean.

In fact, we took the "island time mon" Caribbean off the visit again list years ago.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:43   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Why stop in the Caribbean? Go nonstop to the next destination after that...and after that. It's not the journey but the destination!

FWIW, we enjoyed the desolation of the less visited Canary islands, the diving, restaurants, and the people way more than the Caribbean.

In fact, we took the "island time mon" Caribbean off the visit again list years ago.

The grass is always greener, isn't it?

I've had mostly good experiences sailing in the Caribbean, but I know it's not all sweetness and light there. Nevertheless, that's where we want to spend the holidays, and I want to fly over to the States to see my dad.

So we may or may not stop in the Canaries.

Another reason to stop might be if any shakedown issues rear their heads after Gib. We shall see.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:40   #51

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelani View Post
I am thinking of doing an Atlantic crossing from Gibraltar, Canaries, Cap Verde to Antigua in April 2022. Is this a good idea?
I did one in April. Winds were light, especially in the north. We just went south until we got 10-12 knot trades.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:43   #52

Boat: Nordship 38
Send a message via ICQ to jbrasseul

I stopped in Rabat, Morocco, there is a good and welcoming marina there. And after the Canaries (which are great), Cabo Verde islands, the Trade Winds are better established there in December, and it's well worth a visit and stay. The crossing is shorter too to the West Indies, Barbados, two weeks with a 38 foot monohull.
https://jbrasseul.wordpress.com/2011...part-de-rabat/
jbrasseul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:54   #53

Boat: Prout Quest 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post

Yessss - and specially the smaller islands like La Palma and Gomera (Valle Gran Rey - on Columbus' traces) are worth a visit. Smooth people (inhabitants as migrants), good food below EU price range and beautiful flora / fauna, affordable port fees, one of the most healthy climate regions in the world, ...

Carribean??? What for???
charlie.magen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:58   #54

Las Palmas on Grand Canaria is a nice place. Why rush?
Nic Homan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:01   #55

Boat: Prout Quest 31

So is Sta. Cruz de Tenerife - like most of the bigger islands' capital cities...
charlie.magen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:07   #56

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Two things:

If you are coming from Spain then then stopping at the Canaries is easy because it is still Spain.

Second, if you skip them stay WAY far away from the volcano. You will almost inevitably be downwind from it and shouldnt get closer than around 30 miles. I learned this the hard way the last time Monserrat had a big eruption.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:31   #57

Boat: Lagoon 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We'll be crossing the Atlantic in December and the plan was to sail first to the Canaries and leave from there, but is there any point in the stop? The vessel is fast (some 250 mile days, and regularly 200+) and comfortable and we all like being at sea. Why not just go nonstop? I realize we will need some southing to catch the trades, but why would we constrain the routing with that stop if we don't need to?

I will be glad of any tips.
We did the trip in 2019 and thoroughly enjoyed it. We went all the way to Cape Verde. Several others that we met along the way went from the Canaries. We for sure had the better trip with more consistent trades and no days with no winds.

Other reasons to go to Cape Verde (or not)....:
- how many other times in your life will you get to visit a unique small country like Cape Verde? To me the trip and experience is just as important as the sailing.
- Don't go for the good food! veggies are ok, meats are questionable, beer is relatively cheap, and wine is questionable.......stock up in Canaries on essentials for sure!
- people are friendly, but its near "third world".
- you will for sure meet some interesting people there and hear the best stories!

Video links to our trip at:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...v6wtwW97KFcsYn See episode 6 and 7

-
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:05   #58

Boat: Jeanneau DS 43

There are some great things to see in the Canaries. What's the hurry? The Savage islands are also a nice overnight stop, although as I recall you have to get advance permission in Madeira to anchor there. The coast guard folks are very pleasant, like to see people and will give you a nice tour of the main island. I made landfall in Madeira, the Savages, the Canaries and Cape Verde and did not regret any of them. You may never pass that way again.
sailoray531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:41   #59

Boat: Sigma 36

The bars will be open.
GBR134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:56   #60
Marine Service Provider

I used to race and deliver a C&C 61 named Triumph which was originally named Joli... Is that the same boat?
billreilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, mediterranean, Spain