Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2021, 06:02   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Atlantic crossing from Mediterranean Spain

We'll be crossing the Atlantic in December and the plan was to sail first to the Canaries and leave from there, but is there any point in the stop? The vessel is fast (some 250 mile days, and regularly 200+) and comfortable and we all like being at sea. Why not just go nonstop? I realize we will need some southing to catch the trades, but why would we constrain the routing with that stop if we don't need to?

I will be glad of any tips.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 06:21   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Atlantic crossing from Mediterranean Spain

For you the only real advantage I can think of is to top off with fresh veg, fruit and cheese etc. Perhaps some bread.

Downside is having to check in and out. You might also want to plan on avoiding the ARC in Las Palmas. There are 3 dates to avoid this winter plus the medley for the first day or so at sea.

https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/arcitinerary.aspx

If you close towards the islands, watch the wind acceleration that can form between some of them. Caught us out with way too much sail up in a F2 that went F7 in about 90 seconds.

There are some rocks incl the Savage islands half way from southern Europe to the Canaries, best avoided. Tenerife has a light on top which can be seen dozens of miles away at night, placed there after the air crash.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 14:06   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We'll be crossing the Atlantic in December and the plan was to sail first to the Canaries and leave from there, but is there any point in the stop? The vessel is fast (some 250 mile days, and regularly 200+) and comfortable and we all like being at sea. Why not just go nonstop? I realize we will need some southing to catch the trades, but why would we constrain the routing with that stop if we don't need to?

I see no point in a stop for a stops sake. So south till you get reliable trades and head west.
Old 27-09-2021, 17:36   #4

Boat: Herreshoff 36

That's where you stock up with good wine and cheap beer.
Old 28-09-2021, 09:05   #5

The Canaries make a good stop over to meet yachts that you will meet again at the other side. Take up the cabin sole and stock up with Spanish wine in the Canaries as it is very expensive at the other side, until you get to St. Barts. Unfortunately beer goes off with the heat few months.Tiny Canary potatoes last for months. A leg of ham is good to snack on, on your way over.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 09:16   #6

Boat: Prout

Why not go via Cape Verde islands. Well worth it though food not particularly cheap compared with Spain/Canary Islands and well within the Trades, especially good for Barbados
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 09:23   #7
cruiser

Quote:

Some people say a good reason would is that the Canary islands are a nice place to visit. Many need no extra reasons.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 09:32   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Some people say a good reason would is that the Canary islands are a nice place to visit. Many need no extra reasons.

Fair enough!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 28-09-2021, 09:42   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:

Are you in a hurry?
Rather incompatible attitude to sailing/cruising.
So, if you are in a hurry it is certainly doable. You will need more food/water and maybe fuel but not a real problem.
But, if you are into cruising, any new spot is an adventure and benefit.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 10:47   #10

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
...if you are in a hurry it is certainly doable. You will need more food/water and maybe fuel but not a real problem.
I for one enjoy the Canaries and would always stop, though once was probably enough for the Cape Verdes. however, if the OP's looking to push on for whatever reason, then provisioning is equally good and similarly priced in mainland Spain (spirits and cigarettes are about all I can think of that you'll buy substantially cheaper in the Canaries) the additional provisions/water for going direct from the Gibraltar Straits making 200M+/day will only going to be 3-4 days extra with a total passage time of perhaps eighteen - I needed more than that from the Canaries -and fuel's unlikely to be a problem as you oughtn't to be burning much on that stretch anyway (actually, fuel may've been cheaper in the Canaries too?). Feel free to do it in the way that suits you having considered the advice, but ignore those who criticise for not doing it their way.
Old 28-09-2021, 10:52   #11

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
...beer goes off with the heat few months...
I can say with confidence that I never lost a single can of beer due to it 'going off with the heat' during ten years in the tropics; I will concede that I had few cans survive for as long as 'a few months' anyway, but the few that did survived the wait for their honourable demise.
Old 28-09-2021, 12:26   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
I for one enjoy the Canaries and would always stop, though once was probably enough for the Cape Verdes. however, if the OP's looking to push on for whatever reason, then provisioning is equally good and similarly priced in mainland Spain (spirits and cigarettes are about all I can think of that you'll buy substantially cheaper in the Canaries) the additional provisions/water for going direct from the Gibraltar Straits making 200M+/day will only going to be 3-4 days extra with a total passage time of perhaps eighteen - I needed more than that from the Canaries -and fuel's unlikely to be a problem as you oughtn't to be burning much on that stretch anyway (actually, fuel may've been cheaper in the Canaries too?). Feel free to do it in the way that suits you having considered the advice, but ignore those who criticise for not doing it their way.

Thanks.

We've taken two tonnes of fuel on board already so buying fuel is not an issue. No one needs cigarettes and we don't need spirits in significant quantities so none of that is a reason to stop.

We've all been to the Canaries and it's nice enough, but I think we are all eager to be in the Caribbean. I haven't done any passage planning yet but will start working on it. 18 days in those mild latitudes is just no problem at all; will be a lovely vacation from everything to be out of sight of land for that long. In fact I fear we may suffer some Moitessier Syndrome when we make the first landfall.
Walt Whitman
Old 28-09-2021, 13:15   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks.

We've taken two tonnes of fuel on board already so buying fuel is not an issue. No one needs cigarettes and we don't need spirits in significant quantities so none of that is a reason to stop.

We've all been to the Canaries and it's nice enough, but I think we are all eager to be in the Caribbean. I haven't done any passage planning yet but will start working on it. 18 days in those mild latitudes is just no problem at all; will be a lovely vacation from everything to be out of sight of land for that long. In fact I fear we may suffer some Moitessier Syndrome when we make the first landfall.
Dockhead, this is what I , and most others do under such circumstances. We just give those places we dont want to stop at a pass, going straight to the destination.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 13:41   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Atlantic crossing from Mediterranean Spain

Once you clear Tarifa head SW and broad reach the N'lies till you hit the E'lies.. by December the Trades have moved a bit N so you should have a good fast crossing.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 14:09   #15

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
The vessel is fast (some 250 mile days, and regularly 200+) and comfortable...
@Dockhead I for one am interested to hear some details about this new boat that you have alluded to in various posts

I remember your thoughts on what you would prefer as a future boat to meet your particular use case and I'm wondering how this one stacks up?

In any case 250nm days sound good
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, mediterranean, Spain