Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 08:31   #151

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Yep - we dragged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
YES! I never dived on an anchor but I have Delta memories. The #$%^& things seemed to set but over time as monitored with my GPS you could see almost see the path they plowed.

It's all about the bottom.

I have a Delta and Fortress, and my friends have Mantus and Bruce and whatever. It's not uncommon to dive on an anchor, if nothing else to see if it's set and out of curiosity to see how it behaves over time.

The example shown is a sandy-ish bottom. My Delta in mud requires the motor to dislodge. Not to invoke an argument, but Delta or other have limits to performance in sand.

We had a mega-event two years ago with microbursts clocking over 74mph. In 8' of clear water and two boats hanging on my Delta, the examination after the event was very informative.

During the storm we did at least two full 360s (probably more, didn't have GPS on and couldn't see a damned thing). The Delta had clearly been pulled out at least twice, and reset itself. At least one of the drags was three meters. That was in pure, nice sand. If it were mud I have no doubt I'd have had to bring in a crane to get that sucker out.

Would a Bruce or CQR or Mantus or Fortress been pulled out as well? Would it have reset faster, slower, or not at all? We'll never know.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:53   #152
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Thanks for your answers on the sail...

What about lowering your anchor bridle? I know when we were chartering catamarans.. the bridle system they had would be set so the "Y" was just below the surface... if you lengthened that, so it sat maybe 3-4' below the surface.. would that help?

And, also, some of the posters say "no" to setting another anchor, but haven't mentioned their version of a "second anchor". For example, Dale, (above) says he never sets 2 anchors incase he has to haul anchor and leave fast. that's a great point... But, what about using 2 anchors on the same rode. drop one anchor.... then attach a second anchor on the same rode, 10.. 20.. 30 feet behind that first anchor. (sorry, can't remember the official name for that kind of anchoring. )
The term for that is “Tandem Anchoring.’

I suggest anyone considering it should read the words of Peter Smith, the designer of the ROCNA anchor and a very experienced cruiser. See what he says here:

http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-an...-anchoring.php
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:36   #153
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I have tandem anchored twice in winds from 65mph to 75mph.
Glad I did. Green water over the pilot house.

Two independent rodes. The furthest anchor rode goes through a 6" stainless steel caribiner ont the closest anchor which is on it's own rode. Furthest anchor 55lb. Rocna, closest anchor 33lb. Bruce (acts like a giant kellet).

Easy to deploy and weigh both anchors.
Old 21-10-2018, 08:39   #154

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Well, i’s been a bit over 5 months and thought it might be time for an update.

We’ve been anchored in everything from 30+ kts & 4’ seas in 65’ of water in Provincetown harbor to the dead-still waters of The Basin in Casco Bay Maine!

Have not dragged once!

The one thing I can say for certain is that I have always backed down on my anchor before calling it done, but I would simply put her in reverse, back down and hold for a few minutes.

I’m now being much more methodical. Specifically, after getting the anchor down, scope out and chain snubbed off, I back down very precisely: I have a Yanmar 3JH4E and take it to 1,200 RPM, then 1,400 RPM, then 1,600 - all the way to 2,200 RPM in increments of 200 pausing for a bit at each to ensure we’re holding fast.

Am I taking it to far? I don’t know, but I sleep well at night!
Old 21-10-2018, 08:50   #155
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Legacy, sedan, 42'

Carlos and Maria,
Contrary to what some might suggest, “I do it this way...” I take the approach that if it works for your satisfaction and comfort, keep doing what you are doing.

Steve
Steve Bedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 09:03   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bedford View Post
Carlos and Maria,
Contrary to what some might suggest, “I do it this way...” I take the approach that if it works for your satisfaction and comfort, keep doing what you are doing.

Steve
Thanks Steve - couldn’t agree more!
Old 21-10-2018, 09:14   #157

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Taking it too far? IMO whatever it takes to set the anchor well is what is right. I know that sometimes I will set the anchor and it SEEMS well set until I put some serious strain on it and then I can see it is not really dug in, for whatever reason, which in my case is probably a lump of kelp that the anchor has snagged. I found that recently with my Danforth in what is usually firm sand bottom. That anchor usually sets really well, and it seemed fine at first. In my case I anchor bow and stern so I will pull one anchor against the other and that works really well to find out if one is not really set. Granted my boat is a lot smaller, but with the Downeaster 38 I used to charter, I regularly backed down with lots of power and that, while good, was nowhere near what I experienced one particularly rough night. So anyway, a really longwinded way to say I don't think you are taking it too far.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 10:12   #158

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I'm anchored in La Trappe Creek right now. It's not far from San Domingo Creek. Its gusting over 40 now and most of last night. Bristol 35.5 with Fortress FX-16, 10 pounds. Held solid even with clocking wind. I chose it over the Rocna 15 kg on the bow because of the soft mud. Under heavy load plows just plow in soft mud.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 10:22   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Taking it too far? IMO whatever it takes to set the anchor well is what is right... So anyway, a really longwinded way to say I don't think you are taking it too far.
Old 21-10-2018, 10:24   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I'm anchored in La Trappe Creek right now. It's not far from San Domingo Creek. Its gusting over 40 now and most of last night. Bristol 35.5 with Fortress FX-16, 10 pounds. Held solid even with clocking wind. I chose it over the Rocna 15 kg on the bow because of the soft mud. Under heavy load plows just plow in soft mud.
Yep! Definitely ready to swap out anchors once we get back in the Chesapeake!
Old 21-10-2018, 10:58   #161

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
Well, i’s been a bit over 5 months and thought it might be time for an update.

We’ve been anchored in everything from 30+ kts & 4’ seas in 65’ of water in Provincetown harbor to the dead-still waters of The Basin in Casco Bay Maine!

Have not dragged once!

The one thing I can say for certain is that I have always backed down on my anchor before calling it done, but I would simply put her in reverse, back down and hold for a few minutes.

I’m now being much more methodical. Specifically, after getting the anchor down, scope out and chain snubbed off, I back down very precisely: I have a Yanmar 3JH4E and take it to 1,200 RPM, then 1,400 RPM, then 1,600 - all the way to 2,200 RPM in increments of 200 pausing for a bit at each to ensure we’re holding fast.

Am I taking it to far? I don’t know, but I sleep well at night!

That’s almost exactly my process. I’ll add that when lowering the anchor after it just touches bottom I’ll wait until the boat is drifting back for sure before I start paying out rode. I guess that is standard “good practice” but it’s worth mentioning.

Since I upgraded my Rocna in size she has never dragged, even when fronts have come through and whipsawed me around 180 even in anchorages with notoriously poor holding. Downside is it can sometimes be quite an effort to break it out. Of course having said that I’m going to drag next time I drop the hook.
Old 21-10-2018, 11:16   #162
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Well, i’s been a bit over 5 months and thought it might be time for an update...Have not dragged once!...Am I taking it to far? I don’t know, but I sleep well at night!
No, you're not taking it too far. We also do this.
Did you ever have to reset your anchor?

It happened to us three times this year, twice because of dragging due to weed mats on the river bed (St. Lawrence) and once because the mate (me) thought we were too close to a lee shore (cliff). I get to decide because I operate the manual windlass :-)

We're comfortable that we've never dragged after we did our power set, even in 35 knots of wind. It's cheap insurance.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 11:27   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
...I’ll wait until the boat is drifting back for sure before I start paying out rode. I guess that is standard “good practice” but it’s worth mentioning.
Absolutely worth mentioning! I know some folks start dropping while still moving forward, and it works for them, but I’ve never liked the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Of course having said that I’m going to drag next time I drop the hook.
Of Course!
Old 21-10-2018, 11:38   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
No, you're not taking it too far. We also do this.
Did you ever have to reset your anchor?

It happened to us three times this year, twice because of dragging due to weed mats on the river bed (St. Lawrence) and once because the mate (me) thought we were too close to a lee shore (cliff). I get to decide because I operate the manual windlass :-)

We're comfortable that we've never dragged after we did our power set, even in 35 knots of wind. It's cheap insurance.
Funny you should ask - yes, we’ve reset twice.

Once I simply took too long getting the anchor down and by the time we had the appropriate scope out (including the 30’ of snubber) I was not happy with our position relative to the other boats in the anchorage and the 2nd time we were “too close to a lee shore” (Cliff Island Maine); I kid you not!

Both times we simply hauled it all back in and repeated the process.
After 5 months of constant anchoring (except for a couple of nights here and there on moorings) we’ve gotten fairly proficient!
Old 21-10-2018, 12:01   #165
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Both times we simply hauled it all back in and repeated the process.
After 5 months of constant anchoring (except for a couple of nights here and there on moorings) we’ve gotten fairly proficient!
Yes, we consider anchoring to be a process, not an event. Besides it's good upper body exercise! (If either of us is unhappy with anything about running the boat, we reconsider, fwiw).

It may be an old-fashioned virtue to be patient and cautious, but...we're still here!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote