Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 15:35   #1

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution
XYZ Extreme Anchor

I do NOT want to start anchor wars again, but just interested if anyone has had some experience with the XYZ Extreme Anchor. They makes some big claims but it does look interesting. Some of the manufacturers seem to be going with the shorter shank larger spade. I am not that brave when it comes to anchors so I would like someone else to have worked out if they work or not before I went off the mainstream.

I certainly don't want to go down the this one is better that that one, I think that has been done to death.

XYZ Boat Anchor - presentation and information about the best boat anchor
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:48   #2

Re: XYZ Extreme Anchor

Could they possibly try to take one non "artsy" photo of the damn thing?

And entering the market the biggest anchor being an 23lb stainless steel anchor for $1100....
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:48   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
I do NOT want to start anchor wars again, but just interested if anyone has had some experience with the XYZ Extreme Anchor. They makes some big claims but it does look interesting. Some of the manufacturers seem to be going with the shorter shank larger spade. I am not that brave when it comes to anchors so I would like someone else to have worked out if they work or not before I went off the mainstream.

I certainly don't want to go down the this one is better that that one, I think that has been done to death.

Lets us know how you make out as most here have been anchored to death on all these new anchors.
Only years down the road will we know if this one is any good.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:03   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

There is a fellow cruiser down here with one who has used his extensively throughout the Caribbean. It has proven randomly unreliable for him - so much so that he uses his CQR for his main anchor now.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:05   #5

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post

I do know of one person who has one and he seems to like it, although acknowledges that sometimes in some conditions it doesn't set at all. It is also one of those anchors that in anchor tests comes in dead last sometimes and ok in others. With all the choices out there of proven designs, why someone would want a new anchor that looks like a reject from the giant bottle opener factory eludes me.

I see they are on their sixth generation, which suggests that perhaps the first 5 were somewhat lacking? Maybe they got it right this time.
Old 10-06-2013, 16:11   #6

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Could they possibly try to take one non "artsy" photo of the damn thing?

And entering the market the biggest anchor being an 23lb stainless steel anchor for $1100....
+1 agreed terrible web site

Using some similarities to Manson Boss. Useful to have an open mind on any new anchors.

feedback - Randomly unreliable
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:12   #7
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Practical Sailor Liked it, and they are not stupid. It would be refreshing if it did work - because it is so different and it might then indicate there are other design routes still unexplored. And like the Knox anchor its nice to see people sticking their necks out (and not copying). I'd like to see how it sets (if they have the balance right there is no reason why not) but it does have that roll over 'rod' sticking up that will catch the chain in a change of tide unless it is submerged in the seabed and that rod might also get in the way of something when housed on the bow (but in that it is no different to a roll bar anchor). The short shank should be strong (as it has a short lever length) and the flat fluke should allow it to turn easily.

It has a major advantage in being de-mountable.

It is expensive, but if it worked that should not be an impediment (enough people buy the Ultra - and its expensive and no better, or not as good as, depends on your view, to other similar anchors). But being both unusual and expensive its very difficult to see it taking on in the absence of much user history - sad.

I too would like to see some more impartial experience (which I hope is good).

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:16   #8

Seriously though, a stainless steel anchor? That's for some dude in a marina who wants something shiny on the front of his boat.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:29   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Seriously though, a stainless steel anchor? That's for some dude in a marina who wants something shiny on the front of his boat.
+1

And if used, will not stay shiny very long. Maybe that's what the crew are for (polishing). In (slight) defence of XYZ, I recall they were using 2205 stainless. But why they used stainless at all remains a mystery.

Jonathan
Old 10-06-2013, 16:35   #10

Community Sponsor

If I was going to purchase and test and anchor, I would not purchase one that has been proven randomly unreliable . I hate to see anchor advertising videos of an anchor dragging. Are you trying to sell me and anchor (none moving earth nail) then show it not moving.

I like testing anchors that have been very reliable with advertisements showing the anchor moving a foot and stopping dead.
Old 10-06-2013, 16:38   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
If I was going to purchase and test and anchor, I would not purchase one that has been proven randomly unreliable . I hate to see anchor advertising videos of an anchor dragging. Are you trying to sell me and anchor (none moving earth nail) then show it not moving.

I like testing anchors that have been very reliable with advertisements showing the anchor moving a foot and stopping dead.
An anchor that holds at 2,000kg will drag at 2,500kg. it could still be an excellent anchor.

And I can show at Delta not dragging at 600kg, but it will drag at 700kg - would you buy one?

Jonathan
Old 10-06-2013, 16:50   #12

Quote:
They used to make them in galvanized, have they stopped those models?

Yes, I could go to their website, but no, I am not going to go to their website.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 10-06-2013, 16:56   #13

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
An anchor that holds at 2,000kg will drag at 2,500kg. it could still be an excellent anchor.

And I can show at Delta not dragging at 600kg, but it will drag at 700kg - would you buy one?

Jonathan
I think you know me well enough to know how I feel about Delta anchors.
Have used them in the past and will NEVER EVER, NEVER EVER use one again.
Old 10-06-2013, 16:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
I too would like to see some more impartial experience (which I hope is good).

Jonathan
Well, two of us reported on people we know well with this anchor and those reports are that it has been randomly unreliable - we don't have dogs in this fight, so it seem impartial albeit second hand reporting.

To clarify, I did not mean to report "randomly unreliable" as meaning it did not work in certain situations, but worked well in others (lots of anchors do this). I meant to convey the owner's tale to me that it randomly let go on him after he thought he was well-anchored. Enough times to give him pause in using it as his main anchor. The telling point here is that he feels much more secure on his CQR

Mark

Old 10-06-2013, 16:58   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I think you know me well enough to know how I feel about Delta anchors.
Have used them in the past and will NEVER EVER, NEVER EVER use one again.
It was an example (which I had hoped was non-contenious), nothing personal.

Jonathan

Tags
anchor