Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2015, 18:25   #1

Windlass Replacement

My Lewmar (Simpson/Lawrence) Horizon 900 has seen its last season. It is a free-fall model with a clutch mechanism that is inclined to self-destruct. It needs rebuilding each year and I've finally lost trust in it. This is a horizontal windlass mounted on a shelf beneath the deck in a chain locker. I do not need and cannot use a capstan in this location. The 600W motor had sufficient pull for the ground tackle (275' of ¼" G4 chain and 40# anchor). I'm looking at these replacements: Lofrans Dorado 700W; Maxwell HRC 6/8 600W; Quick Genius U 800W; Lewmar Pro 1000 700W. These are all of similar external design, and with the correct gypsy will do the job. Does any one know more about these models in terms of internal design/reliability? I am presuming the Lewmar (with its 5 year warranty) is not a rebadged Simpson Lawrence!
dpulling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, wind, windlass