Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2021, 06:09   #1

Windlass power relative to chain and anchor weight

Using our existing Quick Antares 1000W, 10 mm chain, windlass, I hope to upgrade the rode and anchor on our (34 ft, 5.300 kg) sailboat to a 50-meter long, 10 mm anchor chain, which weighs about 100 kg, and an anchor of 20 kg, taking the whole equipment when rolled out to about 120 kg. This will double the weight of our existing setup.

My question is simply this: If properly used, is my windlass power of 1000W adequate for such an upgraded rode and anchor? To hear from anyone with personal experience from anchoring with a similar setup in terms of weight and power would be highly appreciated.
Johan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 08:09   #2

Boat: Coast 34 Sail
Re: Windlass power relative to chain and anchor weight

My own electric windlass story is that I bought a Lofrans 1500 watt windlass. After a few years of heavy use I had motor reconditioned and was dissatisfied with results. The windlass had sticker on it the read 1500 watt. Ordered new motor from Lofrans and shipping international at expense. New motor didn’t fit, turned out it was 1200 watt motor and Lofrans rebranded from what I was told by representative. You may indeed have a 1000 watt unit but I no longer trust the label
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 08:17   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

This is also a question of technique. Are running the windlass in bursts, slowly pulling your boat closer while allowing the rode to pull you closer to the buried anchor? Or do you simply engage it full on bringing the vessel over the anchor and continuing to try to retrieve the anchor. The technique you use to retrieve your rode and anchor have a significant play in how much power is "enough".

Hope that makes sense!
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 08:22   #4

10mm chain seems overkill for that boat. You could save some weight there. About 75 lb I think if you go to 8mm or 5/16".

I have no real world for your situation but:
If 10mm chain it weighs... ~253# + 44# anchor. So retrieving in 100 ft of water the windlass needs to pull about 300#.
maximum working load is stated for the Antares Quick as 815# so you should be ok.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 12:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

2nd downsizing chain to 8mm/5/16” chain and a 15kg anchor if you are governed with weight load on windlass and bow. Cruised for a couple of years 24/7/365 anchoring with your anchor setup on an a 9,000kg boat and never had a problem.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 12:14   #6

Boat: X-Yachts X4.9 15.0m

I have a Quick 1000W Prince DP-3 windlass, 50 metres of 10mm chain and a 35kg anchor. The boat is 12 tonnes displacement. I have experienced no problems at all.
dcarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 13:36   #7

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Short answer: no problem
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 14:02   #8

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan99 View Post

My question is simply this: If properly used, is my windlass power of 1000W adequate for such an upgraded rode and anchor?
What do the specs tell you?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 14:18   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We have 100 ft. 3/8 chain, 100 ft. 3/4" 8-plait rode, 73 lb. Rocna, and a Lewmar V2 700W windlass. The V2 works fine, but we also take our time. The V2 was installed by the PO. I'll likely go for the V3 when the V2 quits.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 15:10   #10

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Hi, I have an old but rebuilt SL Sea Wolf windlass which I believe is around 600 watts. I use 50 metres of 10mm chain (plus octoplait rode) & a 20kg anchor with no problems at all - I believe the maximum pull on my windlass is 350kg. The boat is about 7500kg. However I do use the engine to close up on the anchor, & i take my time, using the windlass to pull in the slack & pausing to let it stay cool. Having said that I did bend the shank of my old CQR pulling it straight out of deep thick mud on one occasion so plenty of power in the windlass. You shouldnt have a problem with 1000 watts.
I have 10mm chain for a particular reason - if you can get the right size gypsy you might be better off using strong 8mm chain with your boat - then you can carry 60 metres...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 15:17   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glanrock View Post
This is also a question of technique. Are running the windlass in bursts, slowly pulling your boat closer while allowing the rode to pull you closer to the buried anchor? Or do you simply engage it full on bringing the vessel over the anchor and continuing to try to retrieve the anchor. The technique you use to retrieve your rode and anchor have a significant play in how much power is "enough".

Hope that makes sense!
Or preferably, neither of the above.
If you motor/sail up to the anchor just using the windlass to take up the slack, the greatest load on the windlass should be about 87% of the weight of the anchor plus a length of chain equal to the depth.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 15:42   #12

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I agree with Cheechaco. Also one very overlooked way to maximize you windlass power is to increase the circumference of your bow roller. Makes a huge difference. Your chain size is huge for that size boat. Sadly the cost of a new Gypsie is large.5/16" would be better and you could have more chain with all associated advantages.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 08:36   #13

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quick Antares specs says you will be at the limit, so if you area actually pulling all this chain at once (unlikely) you better stop often to let the motor cool. Working load spec is 265lb or about 120kg (math done in my head only) same as your total anchor gear if all suspended under boat.

You should have a battery in the bow for this application or you better use very heavy welding cables if connecting to batteries farther aft.

BTW the gypsy in the ad will not work with 10mm chain. I suppose you already have the correct gypsy for 10mm (3/8 in) chain if that's what you use.

For your boat size, 10mm chain is overkill. The optimum would be 8mm (5/16") hi-test chain then you'll have much less load on the windlass, no need for battery in the bow.

Specs from Amazon ad:
For boats from 33-43ft
Gypsy size: 8mm- 5/16"
Chain size: 8MM DIN66, 8MM ISO, 5/16" G4, 5/16" BBB

WINDLASS SPECIFICATIONS MOTOR POWER: 1000W
MOTOR SUPPLY VOLTAGE: 12V

MAXIMUM PULL: 2205 lbs
MAXIMUM WORKING LOAD: 816 lbs
WORKING LOAD: 265 lbs
CURRENT ABSORBTION @ WORKING LOAD 140A
MAXIMUM CHAIN SPEED 130ft/min

MAXIMUM CHAIN SPEED @ WORKING LOAD 67ft/min
WEIGHT: 38 lbs
Old 23-06-2021, 09:35   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan99 View Post
Using our existing Quick Antares 1000W, 10 mm chain, windlass, I hope to upgrade the rode and anchor on our (34 ft, 5.300 kg) sailboat to a 50-meter long, 10 mm anchor chain, which weighs about 100 kg, and an anchor of 20 kg, taking the whole equipment when rolled out to about 120 kg. This will double the weight of our existing setup.

My question is simply this: If properly used, is my windlass power of 1000W adequate for such an upgraded rode and anchor? To hear from anyone with personal experience from anchoring with a similar setup in terms of weight and power would be highly appreciated.

At Vetus-Maxwell, we take the total weight of the ground tackle, multiply that number by three, and then recommend a windlass having at least that much pulling power.
Good luck
John Mardall
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 11:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarratt View Post
I have a Quick 1000W Prince DP-3 windlass, 50 metres of 10mm chain and a 35kg anchor. The boat is 12 tonnes displacement. I have experienced no problems at all.
Many thanks.

May I ask what is your voltage on the boat and what is the size of your fuse for the windlass circuit?
Johan99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, wind, windlass