Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 03:41   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Will Someone just Choose an Anchor for me? I'm Exhausted.

old school is the best safest way to go

get a 500 lb rock with a hole in the middle
Old 09-06-2014, 04:55   #32

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

What you really need is good old Granite rock with a hole in it, none of that new fandangled Quartz rock everybody's so excited about these days. They did a magazine article a while back that said it was the best ever. Bad in my book, the next three pages were adds for cheap and accurate watches, wonder where the Money came from for THAT study. Never trust a book with glossy pages. I would recommend Fraggle Rock but..... ya can't get it where you're at, and ya just can't get there from here.....

That aside, grit your teeth a bit and start reading some more. Take on the responsibility of owning and captaining your boat. If something goes wrong you won't feel any better knowing you left the safety and security of your boat and passengers up to Joe Schmo's opinion because he was on a sailing forum before you were. Spend hours sifting through articles, debates, accounts, and opinions and become an absolute expert in everything boat related you can, it could really save your life some time.

Put another way, You're looking for a quick, true answer that cuts through all the bull and provides instant understanding mixed with a bit of a 'doh, of course', moment . When someone gives one of those on the internet it usually means they're probably full of s#!+......

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:34   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
There is nothing wrong with a CQR they have been holding boats for generations and still are. If you set your anchor properly you should not drag but sometimes it just happens through no fault of your own. Look at what others in your area are using then get what you can afford. To write of a good popular anchor because of some I'll perceived group think is wrong, what it does do is make a CQR a good second hand buy.
At least some skippers do believe their CQRs are holding...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1559773
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:37   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dunno what Bruce your talking about Cheeh...
The man asked what anchor was best with all chain.. not 25 metres and nylon warp.. and the Bruce has filled that need for me well.. as to your reference to rocky bottom.. yeah its great there as well.. just you'll have to dive to free it..
I've anchored with these for over 25yrs with no problems.. its down to how you drop the hook.. you don't hit reverse and full throttle the way so many Stars and Stripes seem to in the Islands and plough the bottom for 50metres or so to bed it.
Go on Island time.. wander up and drop the hook and feed out 15 metres then hold while the boat falls back on the wind.. as the strain comes on feed out another 10metres.. hold and let the nose go into the wind.. your now bedded in.. feed out to your distance.
Don't bother diving down to check it.. your in and can only go deeper.
Only place I'd avoid is long thick sea grass.. but theres usually clear spots of sand about as well.
Boatie,
at least You did prove Your old claim!
You are really the Luddite!!!
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:47   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Will Someone just Choose an Anchor for me? I'm Exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Boatie,
at least You did prove Your old claim!
You are really the Luddite!!!
And not lost a boat yet..
But who knows.. maybe the next one..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Nelson Mandela.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:02   #36

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with a CQR they have been holding boats for generations and still are. If you set your anchor properly you should not drag but sometimes it just happens through no fault of your own. Look at what others in your area are using then get what you can afford. To write of a good popular anchor because of some I'll perceived group think is wrong, what it does do is make a CQR a good second hand buy.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I've never seen an anchor test where CQR did even marginally well. We dragged ours all over way too many anchorages trying to gently coax it to set. Worst dragging event we ever had was on 10:1 scope in a mud bottom with a decent set. 180 wind shift and only 15 knots of wind set us slowly dragging across the bay. Our experience is a long ways from uncommon.

We contributed to the used market and now somebody else has it on their bow. They were pleased because they don't trust anything made after 1965. We were happy because we now have an anchor that grabs first time every time and stays put.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:40   #37

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
And when the tide is more than 10' what's your scope then
100 meters IMO
tides of ten foot plus are usually associated with COLD places, too far north or south of the equator for me. here in florida/bahamas tide range is two to three feet. and the water is warm.....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:40   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Just gotta love anchor threads!!!

To the OP, were any of these any help, or did all these seasoned sailors confuse the hell out of you?

After all, they're not opinionated in this crowd are they?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-06-2014, 12:37   #39

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Will Someone just Choose an Anchor for me? I'm Exhausted.

Yeah well ... tut ... tut ... you can listen to young posters sayin the old pharts are full of "s#!+", or to the oddballs cleverly suggesting a hole in a rock if you want to but a critical reading of these threads and others should allow you to discriminate "s#!+" from shinola, the bourgeoisie from the proletariat, and the yuppies from the yippies!

In a nutshell, almost everyone I listen to on here thinks the NewGen anchors set better and quicker than the old reliables. How many times must it be said?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 13:06   #40
cruiser

Re: Will someone just choose an anchor for me? I'm exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
At any rate, I was extremely happy that my choice was a Mantus. It was off the bow, with a Danforth type off the stern. The boat didn't budge an inch.
This. Go the Mantus.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 14:21   #41

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
No doubt get a CQR. Somebody in the anchorage needs to provide some entertainment when the wind picks up and that should be you!
I demand justice for the CQR! There has never been a better anchor, and it looks great up the bow. Appearances matter as well as size. It looks like you can and should anchor your boat with it. All others look like an afterthought for boats that only frequent docks.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 14:29   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I demand justice for the CQR!...
OK -- OFF WITH IT'S HEAD!

:-P
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 14:50   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Here's our experience:

Danforth Hi Tensile, 20 lbs. (bower anchor on 30 footer, now kedge.
Plow type, plowed many furrows, mostly in sand; required a great deal of care to set; replaced by Bruce (not a knock-off) to get quicker setting.

Current boat: 46' overall, ~11 tonnes, started out with 44 lb. Bruce. Dragged in mud, boat on beach. Replaced with 60 lb. Bruce copy. Dragged. Now, we have had 60 lb. Manson Supreme for a number of years, and it too has dragged, twice. The second time, we put out the ancient kedge to help it, and it stopped dragging, 50-55 sustained, gusts ~ 70. We are satisfied with it. We also carry a spare 40 lb. plow that came with the boat.

Based on our experience, I'd suggest the Manson Supreme. However, I think cwyckham has the right of it. Get any of the new generation anchors. but use a Danforth or Fortress for your kedge, as you may need.

Ann
Old 09-06-2014, 16:29   #44
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

The CQR demands one of the higher prices new and one of the lowest prices used, says a lot. I think I'll spend a few extra $'s and do what I can to protect my investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 17:49   #45

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Get a Delta. They are almost as good as the second generation models and don't cost an arm and a leg. A Guardian is a good backup in soft bottoms. Those are good cost effective choices if money matters.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, exhaust