Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2011, 19:27   #1
Marine Service Provider

Why Are Anchors like iPhones and Beer ?

You get so many who drink XX beer (not to many actual XXXX as it's just nasty ) and won't go near anything else, whether they've tried it or not. Same with iphones and things Mac, most are either 100% for or 100% against.

Anchors seem to be the same thing. We see huge numbers saying 'use a YYY or you're just silly' or often a lot more emotive than 'silly'. Even more so theses days. We have people who'll swear on their mother grave a YYY is the best yet they have no experience with any of the competitors.

Is it simply because they have a beer/phone/anchor that works for them so in their eyes there just can't be anything better or is it a case we are all slowly being conditioned into believing marketing, whether we think we are or not?

Or is there something else I'm missing.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 19:30   #2

Re: Why are anchors like iPhones and Beer

Peer pressure: people want to be part of the group that uses YYYY.
Pete R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 20:41   #3

Boat: Hanse 385

Peer pressure a little.. Branding and marketing a LOT.
Same thing with Smokes, they try and get you hooked as if it's YOUR brand.

Us Humans love to feel a part of something, marketers know this, and once we buy into a Brand we also love to spread the word to others.

If we can get others to buy that $1000 phone it must mean it was worth it for ourselves right?
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 21:19   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Could be peer pressure or one upmanship, as I have the greatest and newest one on the market so it has to be the best.

I use a CQR plow because they have always worked for me, rgat is what was on my first boat when I and my grandfather gound her after Hurricane Donna.

My cell phone is probably the oldest Blackberry out there given to me by my sister because of my old phone..

I usually buy what I like, marketing turns me away, except during the SUPER BOWL..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 22:27   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

I use what works best for me regardless public opinion or marketing techniques. Having said that, I do tend to stick with what has worked best in the past. While I have tried many different beers, rums & whiskeys, and I have found what best suits my palate, I would be open to trying others if one came along that I had not yet sampled. As far as gear goes, I haven't tried them all, but I will ask a lot of questions of the owners of the gear I have yet to try. I am slow to change out equipment unless what I have is just not working as expected, at that point I will look to alternatives.
Old 19-06-2011, 22:59   #6

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete R View Post
Peer pressure: people want to be part of the group that uses YYYY.
BAAAAAaaaa
Old 20-06-2011, 06:33   #7

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments

All three go overboard?
A
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 07:47   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo1181 View Post
All three go overboard?
A
Ho Ho Ho... well done, mate

Jim
Old 20-06-2011, 07:52   #9

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Probably because all three are very subjective as far as usefullness, and there are so many individual variables it defies quantitative analysis. I've found the less concrete information the stronger the opinions. It is very easy to hold an iron clad opinion on something you are unlikely to be proven wrong on.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 09:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Probably because all three are very subjective as far as usefullness, and there are so many individual variables it defies quantitative analysis. I've found the less concrete information the stronger the opinions. It is very easy to hold an iron clad opinion on something you are unlikely to be proven wrong on.
+1.

If there is a reasonable and convincing way to measure quality, it prevents quasi-religious feeling from developing. Lacking a rational way to measure quality, we fall back on marketing, superstition, and hearsay.

In the case of anchors, there is no rational way to choose a best anchor, but but we all want the best so we can sleep at night. We need to invent reasons to convince themselves we have the best. The marketers are only too happy to exploit this phenomenon by publishing FUD and seemingly reasonable "anchor tests".

RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 10:05   #11

Boat: Tartan 30

The thing I've noticed about sailors (all people, but sailors in particular) is they'll put a lot of effort into buying something, they spend a lot of money on it, and they will defend that purchase to the death if anyone tries to offer an alternative point of view.

This is true for boats, anchors, and everything in between. I noticed it when I first started shopping for boats and realized there was no such thing as an unbiased opinion amongst sailors. It's impossible to find realistic information because no matter what type of boat/gear a person has, they will recommend the same, or similar, design just to justify their own decision. I guess it makes people feel better about spending all that money... you know, misery loves company If you make the same decisions they did, that validates them and their choices. So people will do/say whatever it takes to either sway, or discredit, an opposing opinion.

Nevermind logically weighing your options, just do what I do and everyone will be happy!

note: this is not 100%, there's always exceptions to the rule, but I've found this consistent enough to call it a rule (and yes, I do the same thing as everyone else...sometimes).
Old 21-06-2011, 16:19   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
You get so many who drink XX beer (not to many actual XXXX as it's just nasty ) and won't go near anything else, whether they've tried it or not. Same with iphones and things Mac, most are either 100% for or 100% against.

Anchors seem to be the same thing. We see huge numbers saying 'use a YYY or you're just silly' or often a lot more emotive than 'silly'. Even more so theses days. We have people who'll swear on their mother grave a YYY is the best yet they have no experience with any of the competitors.

Is it simply because they have a beer/phone/anchor that works for them so in their eyes there just can't be anything better or is it a case we are all slowly being conditioned into believing marketing, whether we think we are or not?

Of course the obverse is that some people don't just follow what their grandpa did, they undertake research they assess they are open to new ideas, they weigh real life experience an reach a considered conclusion.

I dont give a rats what anyone else uses, as long as they dont tell me I am wrong to choose a multi/Mac/Sarca excel- Rocna - Manson Supreme. And since I have bought my first multi I can say that I have discovered that there are many experts eager to tell me of my wrong.

Like most things in life the most strident people are often the ones who haven't tried or at least considered the alternative, few mono sailors have sailed a range of multis, few IBM computer users have tried a MAc long term and few - very few have actually tried different anchors.

But again I dont care what anyone uses, unless of course they anchor upwind from me with a crap anchor or crap technique.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 16:54   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Different strokes for different folks, different anchors for different bottoms.....

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 05:02   #14

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
You get so many who drink XX beer

Have you ever tried XX Beer? (Dos Equis) You might find it's quite good.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 05:27   #15

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Have you ever tried XX Beer? (Dos Equis) You might find it's quite good.
It is good, but it couldn't hold a candle to XXX (Tres Equis) when that was in production.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Beer