Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 09:09   #16

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design
Re: WHICH ELECTRIC WINDLASS?

Jim, and all, thanks for asking...
I do not like adding weight of the chain in forward end, that is, more than necessary; 50 ft.
I like the elasticity of the 3 strand rode for dampening wind gust loading on the rode.
I do not want to use a bridal or any other hooked to chain 3 strand device (snubber) to compensate for above, which adds complexity to anchoring.
I do get the 80 foot or so length chain to avoid the rope to chain thimble splice for feeding into the gypsy...thus no adjustments need to be made when weighing anchor , using a remote to power up windlass... so using this method I will need, want, to use a bridal, snubber, arrangement to lessen loading/ shock in heavy gusts...this going to be mandatory,..correct? thanks all for replies...
Old 06-07-2016, 09:21   #17

Yes you should use a bridle/snubber. It's very easy actually. You might be surprised how quickly a nylon rode can chafe in a strong/long blow. Using anti chafing gear in that situation is much more troublesome than using a snubber on chain rode.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:27   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

High test chain can help cut down the weight issue as well

I use a Mantus hook attached to a bridal that is pre-attached to my cleats. That way I let out all by the last 30' or so of my chain, then hook the Mantus hook on the chain and let out enough chain that the load is now on the nylon snubber and not the chain. It's really easy and not complicated.

Oh, and having a bridle attached to each of the cleats seems to help with sailing on the anchor, with one attachment, my boat sails all around the anchor, it's annoying
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:44   #19

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2160618] I use a Mantus hook..

How is that working out for you? Mine fell off twice so I put one of the plastic things on to keep that from happening and then the plastic thing broke. I gave up went back to a knot. I need to give it away or sell it because the weight adds up.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
High test chain can help cut down the weight issue as well

I use a Mantus hook attached to a bridal that is pre-attached to my cleats. That way I let out all by the last 30' or so of my chain, then hook the Mantus hook on the chain and let out enough chain that the load is now on the nylon snubber and not the chain. It's really easy and not complicated.

Oh, and having a bridle attached to each of the cleats seems to help with sailing on the anchor, with one attachment, my boat sails all around the anchor, it's annoying
I'm surprised an IP with the long keel sails at anchor. I guess I've been fortunate to not had a (big) boat that did that!
I just always used a forged chain hook, I cant remember it ever falling off. You need to leave some slack in the chain behind the hook....

Old 06-07-2016, 10:55   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This thing, I don't see how it could fall off?

Mantus Anchors | Mantus Chain Hook - Mantus Anchors

Yes she sails around the anchor like mad. I thought full keels were worse for this?
Most likely will have to procure an anchor riding sail, but only one I can find is a kit to sew your own. I don't like the Delta thing.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:38   #22

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2160704]This thing, I don't see how it could fall off?

Sure that's it. That is why the one in the picture has the plastic goody. They sold the hook without the plastic thing at first. The hook would bounce off or something. Now the plastic thing breaks off.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:45   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'll keep an eye on the plastic thing then, seems pretty tough. I would think weight and tension would keep it on anyway, but I'll keep and eye on it, thanks.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:54   #24

Quote:
I'll keep an eye on the plastic thing then, seems pretty tough. I would think weight and tension would keep it on anyway, but I'll keep and eye on it, thanks.
I ended up thinking, if the hook could hit the bottom it could be dislodged.
Like with your 30' snubber, it would be easy to see it touching the bottom sometimes.
Old 06-07-2016, 13:10   #25

Quote:
This thing, I don't see how it could fall off?

Mantus Anchors | Mantus Chain Hook - Mantus Anchors

Yes she sails around the anchor like mad. I thought full keels were worse for this?
Most likely will have to procure an anchor riding sail, but only one I can find is a kit to sew your own. I don't like the Delta thing.
Nah, the ones I've been on have all been fin keel racer types... and boy do they fish around.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:09   #26

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW:

I'm not sure how you envision handling a compound rode with a vertical windlass, unless the gypsy will handle the rope part and direct it into the chain locker. You mention pulling the rope portion by hand and then using the windlass to hoist the chain part. How do you plan to get the rope down the chain pipe , and then get the chain engaged with the gypsy without loosing several fingers? Sounds quite formidable to me!

I know how frustrating it is to ask a question and then being redirected away from what you specifically described... but really, having enough chain so that your normal anchoring practice does not involve the chain to rope junction will make your life so much better. Perhaps you could tell us why you don't want more chain, and then we can try to change your mind!!

Jim

Good advice, don't muck about, if you are considering any cruising where you will be anchoring a lot avoid the Swartzenhagen (apologies to Arni for the probable misspelling) solutions and just go for an all chain system.

I found my previous vertical shaft windlass to be hard on the galvanizing on the chain so switched to horizontal shaft when I rebuilt it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:50   #27

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I installed a Lofrans Progress II in 2000 and it has been a flawless workhorse. In the last 6 years, we've covered over 35,000 miles with hundreds of anchor deployments and retrievals without any major repairs and only routine maintenance. In the Maldives, we were routinely anchoring in depths of 120', deploying our entire 350' rode. We use a bridle made from 1" twisted rope with heavy chafe protection.

My opinion is that an all chain rode will provide a catenary that will tend to dampen shock loading from wind and seas more so than a chain/rope rode. All chain is also self-stowing whereas any rope needs to be flaked unless the anchor locker is massive.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, wind, windlass