Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 12:16   #46

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’
Re: What's this I found in my anchor locker ?

It's a combination Apple peeler and toenail trimmer. They work great. Would you like us to send you a slice of apple pie?
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 15:32   #47

Boat: Catalina 36

I know exactly what it is and use mine frequently. The idea of this thing is to secure the boat to a slated dock when no cleat is available. Imagine coming up to at typical dock with wooden slats on the walk way but there is no cleat available to tie to. The bottom flat portion goes in between the slats of the dock and is twisted 45 degrees to gain a position, the the boat is tried to the loop at the top of the appliance. Use mine all the time.
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 15:46   #48

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

My guess, without holding it in my hands, is that it is a securing to the dock aid.

IF you came to a dock either w/o cleats or not properly spaced for your boat you would use this.

Keeping the eye at the top you would slide the post down between 2 boards, obviously with the first rod perpendicular to the slot. Then you would turn it so that it couldn't pull back up thru the slot. The top rod is to keep it from falling into the water. Put your dock line thru the eye and then tie the other part of your boat to an available cleat, or have 2.

Best I could come up with.

Best regards,
Charles
Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA 3927
AGLCA 12114

Please keep in mind that emails show no emotion, often omit words, and may be perceived as the opposite of what is intended. A simple phone call is the fastest way to straighten out any misunderstanding or questions.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 16:36   #49

I know exactly what this is .
So the previous owner did have it made , or made it .
But he never got around to using it . He was planning to cast this into a concrete mooring !
Stainless to last the time and the 90 deg bars to hold in the concreate . He would have used a cheaper metal but he obviousley wanted it to stand the test of time .
I can’t quite Judge how. Big it is but if it wasn’t for his yacht it was for a coastal dinghy mooring .
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 16:53   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Mac View Post
Looks like a home made one of these:

One problem . The bar is too wide . I think your nearly right . It’s for casting into concreate for a mooring .
Old 14-01-2019, 16:54   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
1. If I were making a device for screwing a helical anchor into the bottom substrate, as suggested by wingssail, I'd probably make it from mild steel so fabricating the cross-member about 25 mm (1") thick would be affordable. And I'd work out a better way of engaging the helical anchor than the eye on DaveS's device.

That makes me think more highly of the concrete mooring block suggestion.

2. As the skeleton of a concrete mooring block, I think it's on the skimpy side for a 14 m catamaran unless the mooring field is sheltered and in an area not subject to storm force conditions (such as those generated by cyclones, whether tropical or extra-tropical).

The old idea was that a 2 tonne concrete mooring block with a 4:1 scope was adequate to secure a 12 metre vessel. A 2 tonne concrete block would occupy about 0.8 cubic metres.

Remember that submerged concrete in seawater only weighs about 58% of its mass in air. The masses quoted above are 'in air'.

DaveS's skeleton suggests a minimum block about 0.3 m x 0.3 m x 0.45 m or about 0.04 cubic metres.

If you double each of the dimensions to 0.6 x 0.6 x 0.9 m, the block is 0.3 cubic metres. And less than that if you were to make it a trapezoidal block (and the argument against a trapezoidal block is that, unless it is fully buried, it tips over and just slides on its side).

Of course, you could keep that skeleton and submerge it in 1.27 cubic metre/3 tonne block of concrete But you might prefer a bigger skeleton.

The so-called Dampier Code may have already rendered that "2 tonne for 12 metres" idea obselete.

The Dampier Code is based on the mooring standards suggested by the Pilbara Ports Authority for the ports of Dampier and Ashburton. It points to a concrete mooring block of 3 - 8 tonnes for a 10 metre vessel likely to face cyclonic/hurricane force winds once in 50 years. And a 3 tonne concrete block (with a submerged weight of 1.8 tonnes) for a vessel up to 12 metres in non-cyclonic conditions. See: https://www.pilbaraports.com.au/Pilb...s-Handbook.pdf

It's not too different from the Exposed Conditions guide here: https://www.jamestowndistributors.co....do?docId=1107

I think your right
Old 14-01-2019, 19:26   #52

It is a device for tying line on a dock without cleats
Drop between dock planks -turn then tie up
Sail144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 07:30   #53

This is the most practical tool ever made to fast to a wooden deck pier, just insert between the planks, twist and let the point under the ring to fall between the planks. The ring will prevent to slip thru. Then just attach your rope to the ring. Or have it already attached and just insert, twist and ready. Just dont sit on it.
Mike53C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 08:46   #54

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Come on guys! I think you got it all wrong. It is for getting stones out of horse's hooves.
Andrew

Tags
anchor, anchor locker