Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2012, 03:04   #121
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: Well Done Rocna

With 1,200 nights at anchor you obviously bought a New Zealand model. Lucky you!

There has never been a suggestion, and this has been often repeated, again and again, - the design and manufacture to the original specification has not been questioned - its as good as most other decent anchors. Its the ones manufactured outside the specification that are at question.

To reiterate, good design, decent specification - no problems. Good design, compromised specification - very questionable.

And I cannot admire any yacht owner who is willing to sacrifice the safety of any individuals who own the out of specification anchors.

The adage of helping and supporting fellow seafarers is high on my agenda - I'm appalled that the concept might be abandoned, for any reason.
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 08:19   #122

Jonjon get of the computer and go out and cruise in the real world!
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 13:44   #123
cruiser

We do, 2,000nm per annum, never visit a marina, there are none, anchor every night - and care about yacht owners who might need help and support. Sweeping it under the carpet, or ignoring it, will not make it go away.

The 'I'm all right Jack' attitude does not wash with me.

And if anyone does not like my committment they have no need to read the posts nor, have the arrogance to tell me how to live my life.
Old 16-08-2012, 03:49   #124

1201 and 28 knots gust. No problem :-)
Old 16-08-2012, 16:33   #125
cruiser

One is always conscious of an individual who takes the trouble to join a specific forum and joins a specific thread to spruik a product that is the subject of some international dissent. It brings to mind the suggestion that a notorious individual who talked up the performance of his product and posted dishonest promotional material, on various forum and his website, was said to have mutliple identities, or individuals acting directly on his behalf, in order to better legitimise his activity. Thankfully that individual appears to have ceased his unsavoury activity and forum appear to engender usually fair and honest posts.
Old 16-08-2012, 17:14   #126

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As far as fair and honest reports go !! I haven't seen many on here about anchors !! all I see is someone with an axe to grind and doing a heck of a good job of it !!! LOl Im just sittin here after a days work on the boat !! seeing folks agure about a dead and stinkin story about something EVERYBODY knows about !! boy talk about beatin a dead horse !!! LOL I just give up! some folks just don't know when they go beyond the extreme edge of a RANT LOL
Old 16-08-2012, 17:54   #127
cruiser

You are quite correct, though I'm not sure about everyone knowing about it. Was that a complement in disguise?

As you, spent the last week on a 14 year old, timber, 50' cruiser racer (not ours) painting topsides, antifouling, new rudder bearings, removal of shipworm in wooden rudder, beefing up rudder skeg, 2 new seacocks. Now looks lovely - makes a change from ranting! End of Sept - same on our own (well AF anyway), hopefully without the shipworm (unless they eat fibreglass). Except we need to travel 70nm to the nearest yard that will take multi's - hopefully it will make a change to having to rant over the indefensible.
Old 17-08-2012, 09:48   #128

1202 and still happy:-)
Old 26-08-2012, 19:41   #129
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansailor View Post
1202 and still happy:-)
Positive feedback is deadly....

As an example - I've spent thousands of days in the mountains. Crossed hundreds of avalanche paths - never a problem. But can we take that positive feedback and say never a problem so there will never be a problem and close our minds to the risk?

There a a greater risk with China built Rocna than the NZ versions. And if you are unlucky enough to get one of the 420 mPa shank Rocna then you have a significant risk. Not to a straight pull but to specific side loading failure modes.

Just like the avalanche paths I've crossed. Be there at the wrong time in the wrong conditions and someone is going to get hurt...

Regards, E
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 21:15   #130

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Positive feedback is deadly....

As an example - I've spent thousands of days in the mountains. Crossed hundreds of avalanche paths - never a problem. But can we take that positive feedback and say never a problem so there will never be a problem and close our minds to the risk?

There a a greater risk with China built Rocna than the NZ versions. And if you are unlucky enough to get one of the 420 mPa shank Rocna then you have a significant risk. Not to a straight pull but to specific side loading failure modes.

Just like the avalanche paths I've crossed. Be there at the wrong time in the wrong conditions and someone is going to get hurt...

Regards, E
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 22:01   #131
cruiser

Here are people looking for clarification on their Rocna anchors

Rocna will replace any possibly defective anchor FOC - Page 2 - Yachting and Boating World Forums

There was a time when yachtsmen looked out for each other, is the 'I'm all right Jack' attitude a sign of the times? It might be boring to some, flogging a dead horse to many and even being a troll to others - but to some, the ones with the well below spec anchors, its actually quite important.

So if you are bored, get a life, if you think this is flogging a dead horse (think of the hundred more who might not yet know) and if you think highlighting a safety issue is trolling (then I've got my definitions mixed up). But to anyone who objects - cancel the automatic notification, do not read and threads with the word Rocna in it - simple stuff.
Old 27-08-2012, 00:00   #132

1210:-)
Old 27-08-2012, 00:26   #133

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Oceansailor, I don't get it ..

This thread isn't about your anchor. Nobody has questioned the quality of the NZ made anchors and you are lucky to have the best quality they made.

This thread is about the worst anchors they made which were only made after you got yours.

Even if you had the low quality version, how many nights you have used it does not mean there isn't a problem just waiting to spoil your day. Just like the avalanche analogy quoted by evm1024.

However, the positive is that your posts help keep the thread alive to keep spreading the word.
Old 27-08-2012, 00:59   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
Here are people looking for clarification on their Rocna anchors

Rocna will replace any possibly defective anchor FOC - Page 2 - Yachting and Boating World Forums

There was a time when yachtsmen looked out for each other, is the 'I'm all right Jack' attitude a sign of the times? It might be boring to some, flogging a dead horse to many and even being a troll to others - but to some, the ones with the well below spec anchors, its actually quite important.

So if you are bored, get a life, if you think this is flogging a dead horse (think of the hundred more who might not yet know) and if you think highlighting a safety issue is trolling (then I've got my definitions mixed up). But to anyone who objects - cancel the automatic notification, do not read and threads with the word Rocna in it - simple stuff.
You make a good politician ... for sure!!!
Old 27-08-2012, 01:07   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
Oceansailor, I don't get it ..

This thread isn't about your anchor. Nobody has questioned the quality of the NZ made anchors and you are lucky to have the best quality they made.

This thread is about the worst anchors they made which were only made after you got yours.

Even if you had the low quality version, how many nights you have used it does not mean there isn't a problem just waiting to spoil your day. Just like the avalanche analogy quoted by evm1024.

However, the positive is that your posts help keep the thread alive to keep spreading the word.
This thread was actually started by someone who was complimenting Rocna for a good service. It has been 'JACKED' by ... the 'same old, same old' and even ex-employees of Rocna. I am a cruiser ... I have a Chinese Rocna ... believe me when I say I want Ana and my boat safe at sea. I looked into it and I cant help but feel these guys have NO INTEREST in OTHER SAILORS. It's all about their own politics and they need some opposition too! That's where the balance comes in

Tags
rocna