Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 10:00   #31

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
re: Visibility While at Anchor

In addition to the required anchor light, I generally *at least* leave on the lights in the nav station. When viewed from the water on a dark night, from every angle except directly aft, several main cabin portlights are visible. Occasionally, especially when we are away from the boat, we leave on what we call our "back porch lights." This pair of large, multi-LED flood lights not only is visible from many miles astern, but also it lights up bits on the stern well enough to be seen from a good distance abeam.

I believe that lighting, like much else in sailing, comes down to judgement. If I am I in the middle of nowhere, tucked in to the shore deep in a cove -- or moored in the middle of a crowded mooring field, I might be less likely to add additional lights. On the other hand, if I'm anchored in a sparsely filled area of a harbor, with multiple docks (&bars) in every direction, I might leave my spreader lights on all night.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 10:49   #32

Boat: 2013 Lagoon 400S

LED Area Light | Energizer

Product Details:
Versatile light provides bright-white area light for many uses – great for camping & emergencies
Operates on AA or D size batteries for convenience
Three light modes – High, Low & Night Light
Waterproof lantern floats for easy recovery
Easily hangs via handle or hanging clip on bottom
Operates for up to 195 hours on 1 set of D batteries
Includes 3 Energizer® MAX® AA batteries
bpiccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 11:05   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncycle View Post

In the 6 to 10 dollar range all of them are amazingly bright and use
less then .03 amps.
these little lights here lit up my entire cabin and IMO would work as safety lights at anchor.

• Package includes: 2 pieces of COB LED daytime running light
• Size(Approx.): Total L 6 3/4" x W 5/8" (17cm x 1.5cm)
• Color: 6000K Xenon white
• Working Voltage: DC 12V
• Wattage: 6w x2

• Number of LED: COB SMD x2
Something is way wrong with your calculation:

2 x 6 Watt lights = 12 Watts.
12 Watts @ 12 Volts = 1 Amp.

How do you get "less than .03 amps"?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 11:30   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A good topic.

It would be nice if a moderator edited the title of the topic to read "Visibility While at Anchor" (using proper spelling of the key word "visibility").

The recent availability of very inexpensive waterproof LED lights gives us many possibilities for adding additional lights on deck for added visibility.

For any who don't already know….

The Rule:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf

Rule 21(e) All-round Light: The all-round light (such as the white anchor light) shines in an arc of 360 degrees.

Any vessel anchored will display a black disc which is the day shape indicating the vessel is anchored.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters (164 feet) in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule. Vessels at Anchor

(c) A vessel at anchor may , and a vessel of 100 meters and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.

But, while I am for adding extra lights (in addition to the required anchor light) I think it can be over done too.

Big Exception: On special occasions or festivals the more the merrier!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Lights 0611b2b.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	99718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Lights 2012-dana-point-boat-parade.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	99719  

Name:	Anchor Lights DanaPointBoatParade.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	99720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Lights IMG_7946.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	99721  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 12:05   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
A good topic.

It would be nice if a moderator edited the title of the topic to read "Visibility While at Anchor" (using proper spelling of the key word "visibility").

The recent availability of very inexpensive waterproof LED lights gives us many possibilities for adding additional lights on deck for added visibility.

For any who don't already know….

The Rule:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf

Rule 21(e) All-round Light: The all-round light (such as the white anchor light) shines in an arc of 360 degrees.

Any vessel anchored will display a black disc which is the day shape indicating the vessel is anchored.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters (164 feet) in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule. Vessels at Anchor

(c) A vessel at anchor may , and a vessel of 100 meters and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.

But, while I am for adding extra lights (in addition to the required anchor light) I think it can be over done too.

Big Exception: On special occasions or festivals the more the merrier!
While the masthead anchor light may be viewed by some as problematic because it is not at eye level, it's hard to accept the suggestion sailors entering an anchorage won't be looking for them. I for one am thankful when approaching an anchorage for the first time masthead lights are displayed. Lights at eye level will not be visible until very near the anchorage. Not so with the masthead lights.

Anyone using flood lights that adversely affect an approaching sailor's ability to see is not going to make many friends!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 12:13   #36

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bacon View Post
There was a recent thread about a boat that was rammed by another boat while at anchor. ...

Any ideas on how best to add some illumination to your boat while anchored ?
Hi Jeff,

For years we have used 2 [bow and stern] of the 'Mega-Bright Anchor Lights' [now from Cruising Solutions- no affiliation...] in addition to our mast-head anchor light- for all the reasons you cited.

From the above link:

Quote:
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
This super efficient light can be used as an anchor light or as a general utility light. When hung from the boom or mast, the double-fresnel lens acts as an anchor light. It also has a clear lens on top, which can be used for lighting the cockpit or general area lighting. It has a dusk-to-dawn photocell that shuts the lamp of at dawn, and automatically back on when it gets dark. It works great when the boat is unattended.

It has a fully sealed double o-ring lens and waterproof gland. It has 15′ of waterproof cable terminated by a 12V cigarette lighter plug with replaceable fuse. Kit also includes an adjustable hanger and a fuse holder for hard-wired applications. It can be wired direct, or can plug into any convenient cigarette lighter socket.

Comes with our super low-draw 6-LED cool white bulb (0.041A), or can be upgraded to our 15-LED cool white bulb for those wanting the brightest light possible while still drawing virtually no power (0.1A). Visibility exceeds 2nm even with the 6-LED bulb.
We also use these solar lights to great effect [but they are not replacements for 'approved' anchor lights...] These little lights have a hi/low setting and last all night. They use a single removable, rechargeable AA battery so you can charge the battery if there isn't enough solar. We got our last batch from Amazon...

Both of these lights have lasted us for years.

I believe others have probably mentioned both of these lights. Others have also mentioned a small amount of reflective tape on your mast to help identify your vessel in a crowded anchorage, and we can second that from experience.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers!
Old 30-03-2015, 12:16   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmover2 View Post
Why would anyone go for the Lowe's/HD special solar lights when your family and boat safety ought to come first? It is a pet peeve of mine that many go with the cheapest solutions with the resulting low output. I don't like to run at night but even at 6 knots, anything powered by solar fails to be seen until the last second.
I had to re-anchor last year late at night and sure enough, the fellow with the marginal anchor light at 9 pm was non-visible at 2am.
LEDs are superb and low draw.
Help me keep us both safe.
A pet peeve of mine too! Damn cruisers with cheap junk solar lights which are too dim to begin with and don't last the night...despite their delusions that that are and do. I've had to dodge them many times coming in at night.

And then there are the cruisers who just dont light their boats...this is quite common. I've heard all kinds of lame excuses as to why they don't.

Very tempting just to run into them and immediately file a large claim, but they are probably uninsured....maybe just a loud horn blast at very close quarters! ;-)

No excuse for not being properly lit these days.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 12:17   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I come into a few anchorages after dark and I would encourage boats to at least have legal anchor lights. Solar garden lights are fine as supplements, but they are just not bright enough on their own.

It is very difficult to judge the distance from a single light. There are very few distance cues. A bright distant light looks much the same as a dull close light. You have little information to make a reliable judgment.

If you can provide some lower level illumination that will provide some light on deck structures it makes distance judgment much easier. In addition this will provide some protection from people returning to their boat in tender. It is easy to miss a masthead mounted light when you are low to the water.

The collision regulations were written before low power LED lights were available. If considering suitable anchor lighting rather than settling for the minimum that just satisfies the regulations. Consider a tired crew entering your anchorage in the middle of a dark night. It is raining with poor visibility and a background of shore lights.

It is of little comfort if you are in the right but are hit. It costs little in effort or electricity consumption to make your boat much more visible.

Spot the yacht?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	99724  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 12:32   #39

Boat: Crealock 37
Send a message via AIM to Joe Brown

Hardly anyone in the Caribbean uses anchor lights. The charterers do, but the cruisers don't. Might not be prudent, but that's the way it is.

Having said that, I concur with those mentioning putting the 360 anchor light about 10 feet off the water. Visibility for two miles be damned. I usually put mine in the fore-triangle. LEDs lighting the deck are another good suggestion.

Whatever means you use....be seen at night.
Old 30-03-2015, 12:32   #40

Quote:
From post by No Elex 77

It is very difficult to judge the distance from a single light. There are very few distance cues. A bright distant light looks much the same as a dull close light. You have little information to make a reliable judgment.
Case in point. I was sailing to Trinidad off the coast of Brazil. About dusk two fishing boats with masthead lights passed off starboard heading in the opposite direction. In 'the distance' there appeared to be a third fishing boat, probably following the other two. To my surprise, as I watched the 'distant' light a shadow associated with the light appeared. It was a boat showing a single light, at anchor far offshore. Missing the boat required a turn to port.

Made me think about my own vulnerability when hove to in the middle of the ocean showing an anchor light...
Old 30-03-2015, 12:43   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brown View Post
Hardly anyone in the Caribbean uses anchor lights.
Yeah, and generally motor more than sail...

In designated anchorages anchor lights are not typically required. But, I've been in lots of anchorages that aren't 'designated', are remote and where cruisers display masthead lights. Thank goodness.

Quote:
The charterers do, but the cruisers don't. Might not be prudent, but that's the way it is.
Designated anchorages?

Quote:
Having said that, I concur with those mentioning putting the 360 anchor light about 10 feet off the water. Visibility for two miles be damned.
Well, if you are ever cruising in off the beaten track places, wanting to approach an anchorage at night you may change your viewpoint.

Quote:
I usually put mine in the fore-triangle. LEDs lighting the deck are another good suggestion.

Whatever means you use....be seen at night.
Old 30-03-2015, 14:26   #42

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

There was an article about Anchor Lights in Yachting Monthly here in the UK a little while back which mentioned the problem with masthead lights and suggested hanging an alternate anchor light between mast and forestay at about average person head height.

Only problem with this is it isn't something that you can permanently plumb into the electrics, at least not easily, so you have got to work with some kind of rechargeable system. Solar, as we all know, doesn't always last so the better method would be batteries but they also have their drawbacks especially if you are away from land for a prolonged period. However this would obviously aid visibility as the light would also illuminate your foresail and mast.

This is something I have considered from time to time and recently found some small LED strips, designed for car styling admittedly, that I thought might work if stuck just below the rubbing strip (if fully waterproof). With the low drain from the LEDs it wouldn't kill the house battery overnight and would make you more visible at lower level without overdoing it and potentially causing problems by ruining incomming sailors night vision, or over illuminating the quiet anchorage.

It is also alarming how many boats (of all flavours) don't light up in marked anchorages. I don't care if it is marked on a chart, if you are on your hook or tied to a mooring bouy illuminate your anchor light, if for nothing else it tells everyone else where there is a vessel and what she's doing. I've also seen yachts with an anchor light on and their navigation lights, now what is she doing? Really there is no arguement as the regulations do state "a vessel at anchor will show an all around white light".

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 14:26   #43
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I'm replacing all my exterior lights with LEDs including bow, stern, tri-color, and spreader lights. Two of my neighbors have done the same thing. They report the spreader lights are so bright that they had to install a dimmer.

I believe mine will be even brighter and the dimmer I want to install will even cause them to strobe.

At anchor I figure I'll turn them down but in heavy traffic I'll crank them up. My wife and I ride motorcycles and in order to be seen I installed supplemental LED light bars on the luggage racks that will strobe for 6 sec when the brake is applied. HUGE difference cars no longer ride my rear fender. Point is I'm for anything that makes more visible to someone not paying attention or is impaired.

Ps last week a man and a woman on a bike were stopped at a light and were rear ended. They and the bike were trapped under the guy's front fender when the whole mess went up in flames.

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 14:27   #44

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

In designated anchorages anchor lights are not typically required. But, I've been in lots of anchorages that aren't 'designated', are remote and where cruisers display masthead lights. Thank goodness.

Designated anchorages?

This is one of the many lame excuses I've heard. I've never seen nor heard of a legally designated anchorage anywhere in the Carib.

Only ones I know of are in the USA and are not common (at least were not when I left). Usually used by municipalities to restrict anchoring.

See https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/109.10.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 14:39   #45

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
This is one of the many lame excuses I've heard. I've never seen nor heard of a legally designated anchorage anywhere in the Carib.

Only ones I know of are in the USA and are not common (at least were not when I left). Usually used by municipalities to restrict anchoring.
I can show you one if you ever get to Charleston, SC.

I show an anchor light regardless and I try my best to stay away from traffic.

Tags
anchor