Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 05:12   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Viking anchor , now where have I seen this before.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izikalvo View Post
Indeed spade anchors are very good but they do have some downsides, ...
Yes, all anchors have some downsides. My comments were aimed at ALL spade-style anchors, including ones like Rocna, Mantus, Spade, Manson, and now this Viking. As a cruiser who spends a lot of time at anchor, in a wide range of anchoring situations, my experience tells me ALL of these anchors will do a fine job most of the time. In certain specific cases one may outperform the others, but they generally appear to perform about the same when considering the wide range of anchoring factors and parameters.

All anchor makers make the claim you have: that mine is the best. But I’ve yet to see any conclusive evidence that puts any of them substantially above the rest when stacked against the wide variety of anchoring situations cruisers encounter.

I really think this new anchor looks very interesting. It may indeed be an improvement over the others. It seems to include some of the useful features of Mantus, at a slightly better price. I might be interested.

But I think that most cruisers choose their ‘new-gen’ or spade-style anchor based on which one fits the best on their existing setup. Secondarily there might be cost considerations.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:41   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Until there is some real comparison testing by a reputable third party, this is just marketing BS. Viking should begin by spending some time cleaning up their website which is littered with typos and misspellings. It doesn't give one much confidence in the operation as a whole.
Ever tried translating from Hebrew to Ukrainian to English?

Reading Izikalvo's initial post in this thread I think I know how "glvinized" got in there.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:39   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I have the original, oversized. [emoji12]

My Mantus is a 85lbs Mantus. on a Lagoon 400 catamaran.
It sets instantly and holds great so far. 10..12t weight and a lot of wind age. The original Delta 25kg was OK too, but drags easier when reversing, the Mantus simply pins down the boat.

Probably a 25kg Mantus would be sufficient, but hey, the 38kg simply let's us sleep better.
what you described above is one of the main reasons we have started with our Viking project.
You use double the weight just to be sure it will hold, why? here is my opinion: Mantus marketing department does an excellent job, they sell what we all dream off, drop it and forget it, their anchor will set every time in almost any seabed, true, but what about the holding power?
see here why fluke shank angels are so important to increase holding power, it will give you the "why" we moved our shank all the way to the back of the fluke, and Maybe why no one is bragging about Mantus holding abilities.

see for yourself
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_12153-1.html
Old 02-06-2019, 09:49   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, all anchors have some downsides. My comments were aimed at ALL spade-style anchors, including ones like Rocna, Mantus, Spade, Manson, and now this Viking. As a cruiser who spends a lot of time at anchor, in a wide range of anchoring situations, my experience tells me ALL of these anchors will do a fine job most of the time. In certain specific cases one may outperform the others, but they generally appear to perform about the same when considering the wide range of anchoring factors and parameters.

All anchor makers make the claim you have: that mine is the best. But I’ve yet to see any conclusive evidence that puts any of them substantially above the rest when stacked against the wide variety of anchoring situations cruisers encounter.

I really think this new anchor looks very interesting. It may indeed be an improvement over the others. It seems to include some of the useful features of Mantus, at a slightly better price. I might be interested.

But I think that most cruisers choose their ‘new-gen’ or spade-style anchor based on which one fits the best on their existing setup. Secondarily there might be cost considerations.
We got into this adventure because we wanted a better anchor for ourselves.
since we got very good results we wanted to share them with all who need a better and lighter anchor.

We probably will not get rich in this competitive market but we sure want to feel the satisfaction to see this child walking by himself, Time will tell.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:30   #50

I look forward to you producing your anchors. Particularly, I can’t wait for an aluminum model to become available!
Old 02-06-2019, 11:31   #51
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I look forward to you producing your anchors. Particularly, I can’t wait for an aluminum model to become available!
Thank you, We are on it
Old 02-06-2019, 12:11   #52

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
what you described above is one of the main reasons we have started with our Viking project.
You use double the weight just to be sure it will hold, why? here is my opinion: Mantus marketing department does an excellent job, they sell what we all dream off, drop it and forget it, their anchor will set every time in almost any seabed, true, but what about the holding power?
see here why fluke shank angels are so important to increase holding power, it will give you the "why" we moved our shank all the way to the back of the fluke, and Maybe why no one is bragging about Mantus holding abilities.

see for yourself
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_12153-1.html
Yes, Mantus claims also a 15..20 kg would be sufficient, but the bigger the better. We want to circumnavigate, and the anchor is one of the most important things on board. We expect some tropical storms under way... For calm seas any anchor will do the job.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:14   #53

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
We got into this adventure because we wanted a better anchor for ourselves.
since we got very good results we wanted to share them with all who need a better and lighter anchor.

We probably will not get rich in this competitive market but we sure want to feel the satisfaction to see this child walking by himself, Time will tell.
I wish you luck - truly. It certainly seems to be a competitive market right now, but if your anchor really does outperform the rest, then I’m sure it will also be taken up by cruisers like myself. I await the independent test results.
Old 02-06-2019, 13:18   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Yes, Mantus claims also a 15..20 kg would be sufficient, but the bigger the better. We want to circumnavigate, and the anchor is one of the most important things on board. We expect some tropical storms under way... For calm seas any anchor will do the job.
What Mantus claims is Mantus business, bigger is better maybe yes depend on your windlass, chain and your crew, heavier? absolutely not needed, take a Rocna at the right size and you are good to go.

Have a happy sailing and safe anchoring.
Old 02-06-2019, 14:02   #55

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
What Mantus claims is Mantus business, bigger is better maybe yes depend on your windlass, chain and your crew, heavier? absolutely not needed, take a Rocna at the right size and you are good to go.

Have a happy sailing and safe anchoring.
Until its not.
Bigger is definitely better.

Even though our 150lb/67kg supreme has held us in 80+ knots (the chain did de- form) and has never dragged I would have zero hesitation in going bigger if/when buying again.

Two articles that support this

https://setsail.com/bigger-is-better-with-anchors/

https://setsail.com/anchors-and-sizing/
Old 02-06-2019, 14:22   #56
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Until its not.
Bigger is definitely better.

Even though our 150lb/67kg supreme has held us in 80+ knots (the chain did de- form) and has never dragged I would have zero hesitation in going bigger if/when buying again.

Two articles that support this

https://setsail.com/bigger-is-better-with-anchors/

https://setsail.com/anchors-and-sizing/

All other factors being equal... but do we compare ALL anchors based only on pounds? Hardly, or we would all use a rock on a rope.

Do we consider all pivoting fluke anchors equal (or all scoop anchors, by extension)? No, because some get the angles right, some don't, and some are compromises. Manson, Mantus, Rocna, Sarca, Spade, Ultra, and Viking are all different in the angles they have chosen, and I think we have learned something from each of them.

I am anxiously awaiting the next round of anchor testing. I hope testing methods will be a little better, but testing anchors is very difficult and anyone who poo-hoos it should join in. I suspect the next big round won't happen until we get a large flock of next-next generation anchors. I suspect it will be at least a few more years.
Old 02-06-2019, 19:27   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Made in Ukraine? Where in Ukraine? What city? Which factory?

Inquiring minds want to know
Old 02-06-2019, 20:11   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
All other factors being equal... but do we compare ALL anchors based only on pounds? Hardly, or we would all use a rock on a rope.

I only consider new generation anchors to be actual anchors and I reckon all of them are likely close enough in performance to not matter much.
So for them, more often than not its a weight thing or at least that's how I see it.
Old 02-06-2019, 20:12   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Made in Ukraine? Where in Ukraine? What city? Which factory?

Inquiring minds want to know
Are you that concerned about where every other part of your boat is made?
Old 02-06-2019, 20:33   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Are you that concerned about where every other part of your boat is made?
I am interested in knowing how stable the supply chain is. Ukraine is not exactly stable depending on where you are. Donetsk, Dnepro, Kiev?
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor