Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 21:53   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Stern tie in BC

Hello All:

I've been trying to find some inexpensive line to use for a stern tie on my up coming trip to Desolation Sound in BC. I've heard recommendations of having 600' of 3/8 or 1/2 poly. I didn't know how often I would need it after BC but I figured it wasn't a good place to be cheap so I was ready to bite the bullet . . . then I realized that I have 600' of mule tape. for those unfamiliar with mule tape it has a breaking strength of 2500 lbs but not alot of stretch. it is a flat tape like nylon webbing.

Now here is the question. Do you think that using mule tape will be good for a stern tie. I was thinking of using a 30' length of 1/2" dacron as a snubber to take off the shock load. Any thoughts?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 23:13   #2

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Yes, it will work fine. The scandanavians use flat webbing stern anchor lines (Google Ankoralina). I've never needed anything like 600' in BC though; maybe 300' tops. Is mule tape a polyester webbing instead of nylon? If so, use a length of NYLON not dacron as a snubber. Honestly, in summer in Desolation Sound, winds are usually pretty light. The stern tie doesn't have to be very strong; just keeps the boat in position. 2500 lbs breaking strength is lots.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Mule Tape is used for pulling cables into conduits & ducts. It’s usually low-stretch polyester, pre-lubricated with silicone, and marked (footage).
At 2500 Lb tensile strength (breaking), it would probably be 3/4" w, and roughly equivalent to 7/16" dia. Nylon three-strand rope (560# WLL) .

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:04   #4
learningcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Hello All:

I've been trying to find some inexpensive line to use for a stern tie on my up coming trip to Desolation Sound in BC. I've heard recommendations of having 600' of 3/8 or 1/2 poly. I didn't know how often I would need it after BC but I figured it wasn't a good place to be cheap so I was ready to bite the bullet . . . then I realized that I have 600' of mule tape. for those unfamiliar with mule tape it has a breaking strength of 2500 lbs but not alot of stretch. it is a flat tape like nylon webbing.

Now here is the question. Do you think that using mule tape will be good for a stern tie. I was thinking of using a 30' length of 1/2" dacron as a snubber to take off the shock load. Any thoughts?
I have done stern ties in Desolation many times on many trips. You dont need anything sophisticated. But yes, the really nice anchorages you will want a stern tie (if only because other boats might not).

Don't bother with snubbers or anything like that. This is summer, it is not going to blow that hard.

I recommend what we did and pick up a 300 foot spool of poly pro at a tackle shop once you get here. They sell them alongside the shrimp pots. I think its ususally 1/4" maybe 3/8", but the recommended deployment is to run it out and back to whatever you tie to. So you basically doubled the strength.

If you want to make things more sophisticated, spend the effort on finding a way to deploy and takeup the line quickly. If you have limited maneuverability and are close quarters, you want to be able to take up the line fast if there is any breeze and boats nearby. Our setups uses one of those Davis "anchor hangers" mounted to the stern pulpit. To deploy we hang the spool on a dowel from the eyes of the hangers. I get in the dinghy with one of the line end and drag it ashore and find a tie point. Half wrap and head back to the boat. The spool paying everything out.

To take things in. I stick the same dowel in the top of one of the big winches (normall for the winch handle), stick the spool on the dowel and start spinning the spool with a handle I fitted to the side.

Pretty simple, and all can be done with one person.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:20   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks for the comments:

Evan I thought that 600' was a bit excessive but never having done it or been there I figured I should defer to the experts that had written the books.

GM as usual you hit it right on the nose. 3/4" tape with the markings.

LC I'm going to be heading south soon so I figured rather than spend the money on anything fancy I would just use what I have. The mule tape will easily fit in a 5 gal bucket so I think what I'll do is just feed it in to the bucket, in theory, it should just pull out easily. I wish I had years to explore the inside passage, desolation sound, Alaska, etc. but the admiral says warm weather cruising is in order

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:54   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the comments:

Evan I thought that 600' was a bit excessive but never having done it or been there I figured I should defer to the experts that had written the books.

GM as usual you hit it right on the nose. 3/4" tape with the markings.

LC I'm going to be heading south soon so I figured rather than spend the money on anything fancy I would just use what I have. The mule tape will easily fit in a 5 gal bucket so I think what I'll do is just feed it in to the bucket, in theory, it should just pull out easily. I wish I had years to explore the inside passage, desolation sound, Alaska, etc. but the admiral says warm weather cruising is in order
This is what I had my eye on a few years back. When I started researching into sailboats.

This link shows a US company that sells flat rope & reels.

QuicklineUSA - Quickline Flat Rope & Reel

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:52   #7

Charlie said he had 600ft., not that he was going to take 600ft.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:13   #8
learningcurve

Quote:
Yeah, using what you got is the cheapest . Though 300ft polypro is pretty cheap. One more thing I would add...

I am not familiar with this mule tape, but it is HIGHLY DESIREABLE to use something that floats. Typical drill for depolying a stern tie is after you back down on the anchor, keep the boat pointed towards the shore with engine in reverse, then go ashore and set the stern tie. The last thing you want is to have the line sucked under the boat. Then you are really screwed. Dont ask me how I know .

This is why polypro is so often recommended (it floats). If it doesnt float, the more hands on the stern to watch the line, the better.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:16   #9

Yeah LC.

I agree with you on that problem. Like in this link. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...raps-8553.html

That would really suck. Having to go and untangle a mess like that. It sure would ruin a great sailing day!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 22:53   #10

Your webbing should be fine....I use 5/16 ironline if Im tying to the beach
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote