Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2023, 19:27   #1

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Rocna

Back from 6 months in the Bahamas and Florida. Anchored out 5 months and dragged anchor zero times. Was anchored in Manatee Pocket, Stuart for hurricane Nicole. 15kg Rocna and that is marginal for my Bristol 35.5.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 19:29   #2

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Rocna

I should have added that I only use 12 feet of 5/16" chain and the rest 3/4" nylon rode.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 03:31   #3

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Nice ! I have the 15 on my Endeavour 32 so pretty similar. Good to hear !

Old 19-05-2023, 04:12   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I have the Rocna 33/73 I got used after my 80lbs Manson Supreme was stolen off the bow in Florida.

Seems to work just as well so far.

Have still never dragged in my life even through 2 hurricanes now.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 04:41   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Since this is all about Rocna love, I'll add my experience. I've had my Rocna 25 (55#) for going on a decade now. It has held my hefty boat (15 ton) through all manner of gales and storms, in a wide range of locations, from Lake Superior, out the St. Lawrence, to Newfoundland.

I used to say I have never dragged once the anchor was properly set and dug in, but this record was shattered last season. I experienced a slow drag while sitting through a near-gale. It was so slow that it took hours before I was certain.

Anyway, I am still very happy with the anchor. Way better than my previous bower setup with a CQR and Danforth. But if/when I replace it, I'll likely look at one of the non-roll bar designs like Excel or Vulcan. They seem to be performing better in a lot of tests, and don't have some of the disadvantages that come with a roll bar (not that I've experienced much).
Old 19-05-2023, 05:17   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I haven't used the original Rocna, but we've had a 33kg / 73lb Vulcan on the bow for a few years. It's been pretty much flawless. The only time I didn't get a really solid set (although it still held for what I needed it to in that situation), it turned out that I had dropped it onto cobblestone.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 15:27   #7

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

I have a Rocna 25 on our bow, oversized for my boat. I was anchored out when hurricane Kay hit Baja California. I did not drag at all.

I thought the anchor was bulletproof. Well its not! I anchored for the night in a nice bay. I was on a friends boat when the wind shifted 180 degrees at 20 knots. When my boat swung around it took about 100 feet for it to reset. I was really close to the boat behind me at this point.
When I raised the anchor it was a big ball of eelgrass. I think it slid along the grass for a bit before resetting.
That was a big surprise after cruising fulltime for almost 2 years. I was at 5:1 scope and 5/16th chain.
Old 20-05-2023, 16:24   #8

Boat: Hunter 340

You can't beat the new generation anchors. Ultra, Mantus or Rocna all will give you a good nights sleep!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 18:40   #9
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrider View Post
I have a Rocna 25 on our bow, oversized for my boat. I was anchored out when hurricane Kay hit Baja California. I did not drag at all.

I thought the anchor was bulletproof. Well its not! I anchored for the night in a nice bay. I was on a friends boat when the wind shifted 180 degrees at 20 knots. When my boat swung around it took about 100 feet for it to reset. I was really close to the boat behind me at this point.

When I raised the anchor it was a big ball of eelgrass. I think it slid along the grass for a bit before resetting.

That was a big surprise after cruising fulltime for almost 2 years. I was at 5:1 scope and 5/16th chain.

I’ve found the new gen anchors hold well in grass if the pull remains in the direction the anchor was set. But like you, I’ve also found that if you get a 180 degree wind shift of decent strength the anchor will pop out and be fouled with weeds making it hard to reset. Happened to me twice and both times the wind shift had winds about 40-50 kts.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 19:45   #10

Quote:

Honestly still impressive. I upgraded to the rocna Vulcan 25 from a rocna 20. So far it's great.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 20:39   #11

Boat: 2010 Beneteau 31

I swapped out my Delta for an oversized ronca. Best money I've ever spent sleeping soundly on the hook.
apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 21:32   #12

Something about Rocna just makes me feel better about life.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 22:09   #13

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:

Sjrider,

Can you tell us approximately what year your Rocna was built?

I ask because I have an early copy along with one built in 2020 (both 20kg). The later version has several small construction improvements that did help with fouling in some seabed types.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 23:22   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Back from 6 months in the Bahamas and Florida. Anchored out 5 months and dragged anchor zero times. Was anchored in Manatee Pocket, Stuart for hurricane Nicole. 15kg Rocna and that is marginal for my Bristol 35.5.
Is this the original roll bar model or the later Vulcan?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 01:44   #15

Holding in one direction in a Florida sand bottom makes almost any anchor look good.

Anyone considering a new anchor should review the SV Panope testing on YouTube. These are by far the best anchor testing I’ve ever seen done in a variety of nasty bottoms. Each tests include a series of fast 180 degree direction changes to see if the anchor would fail to reset.

Surprisingly, the original Rocna did very poorly and is near the bottom of the scores. The Rocna Vulcan is near the top along with the Excel, Spade, Mantus (M1 and M2), and Ultra.

CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna