Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 00:06   #766
cruiser

Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
All that does is indicate that Kobra/Delta anchors share similar characteristics, two of the non sugar scoop roll bar anchors on the market. It does not and indeed cannot be extrapolated to prove or even infer that all non sugar scoop roll bar anchors are alike.
Absolutely agree - the delta and Kobra are very similar, apparently, I have no experience with the Kobra.
Who claims that? I know back in the Smith days of Rocna they did have some interesting claims to make. But apart from them - to whom do you refer?
Factor,

Take your arguing, nonsense and B.S. somewhere else, this is a thread about photos of anchors setting.

Or... Grab a camera, get wet and contribute in some meaningful way.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 00:14   #767
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

It is interesting I think that we have somebody who has done their best to discredit all the efforts by Noelex and his mermaid every way they can, but, when asked to provide some effort of their own the answer is " why should I do that?"

Coops.
Old 26-08-2014, 00:23   #768

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Do you have any shots of Northill types is similar bottoms?
No, sorry I don't. I bought the camera only recently and have posted a photo of every anchor that I have seen since.

I have actually only seen one Northill anchor underwater. It was in very thick weed in Croatia and doing a good job. The Northill is basically an attempt to combine the advantages of the Fisherman with a slightly bigger fluke area.

Many of Turkish gullets around here use a Fisherman anchor. These are frequently home made and it's not unusual to see the traditional Fisherman's pattern modified to give a slightly bigger fluke area. This is usually with just a larger flat triangular plate on the tip. This is not a Northill, but I am sure I will get some photos of anchors like this soon, which might give some sort of clue.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 00:25   #769

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This was a good set from a Delta, close to completely burying the fluke and shank.

It was dropped by a cat close to the beach in shallow water. Monohull owners hate that, only because we cannot do it .

This, together with the very long scope is the main reason for the better set. 3m @ 9:1. The sand gets much softer towards the beach and the firmer layer tends to be much lower down.

The Delta still took a long 5m to set. The fluke and shank have not quite disappeared like the Mantus and Spade did in a similar substrate, but there was only a sliver visible. However, the nature of bury was quite different with an amazing amount of heaping up of sand. There is a distinct list, which is unusual for the Delta, but the anchor was not set in straight line (see photo 2) and the Delta does develop a high list when changing directions.

Here you can just see the tips of the fluke with the the top of the shank in the background:

Photo two was taken from on top of the pile of sand from the chain end, facing away from the boat. You can see the long curved drag mark snaking off into the distance. Notice the drag mark is not getting much deeper.

The photo below was taken to show the heaping up. It really was a mountain of sand. Unfortunately, most of the burying is in this piling up of the substrate rather than fluke digging down into the firmer substrate below. A set like this will hold reliably in moderate/strong wind, but is likely to fail if the SHTF:

Old 26-08-2014, 00:30   #770

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
It is interesting I think that we have somebody who has done their best to discredit all the efforts by Noelex and his mermaid every way they can, but, when asked to provide some effort of their own the answer is " why should I do that?"

Coops.
Coops that is not so and I saw was no discrediting of Noelex or his mermaid and their photographic endeavour in this thread at all. What post?

A difference of opinion on plough anchors. Yes.

Simply a differing view of Noelex's comments.

Are we not allowed to disagree with his comments. I feel he is quite capable of defending his comments with rational argument even if there a differing views. Differing views and opinions based on varying experiences adds to the value of this and other threads.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 00:34   #771

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
This was a good set from a Delta, close to completely burying the fluke and shank.

It was dropped by a cat close to the beach in shallow water. Monohull owners hate that, only because we cannot do it .

This, together with the very long scope is the main reason for the better set. 3m @ 9:1. The sand gets much softer towards the beach and the firmer layer tends to be much lower down.

The Delta still took a long 5m to set. The fluke and shank have not quite disappeared like the Mantus and Spade did in a similar substrate, but there was only a sliver visible. However, the nature of bury was quite different with an amazing amount of heaping up of sand. There is a distinct list, which is unusual for the Delta, but the anchor was not set in straight line (see photo 2) and the Delta does develop a high list when changing directions.

Here you can just see the tips of the fluke with the the top of the shank in the background:

Photo two was taken from on top of the pile of sand from the chain end, facing away from the boat. You can see the long curved drag mark snaking off into the distance. Notice the drag mark is not getting much deeper.

The photo below was taken to show the heaping up. It really was a mountain of sand. Unfortunately, most of the burying is in this piling up of the substrate rather than fluke digging down into the firmer substrate below:

Great photos. Getting better all the time. Getting down level with the anchor is the key.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 00:34   #772
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Photos of Anchors Setting.

Noëlex is doing a good job of keeping this thread on track and not turning it into a this is better than that thread. Best to ignore the smarmy comments and look at the pretty pictures! Speaking of which, it's been a while since the mermaid was featured in any
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 00:40   #773
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Agreed 100%. We need more mermaid pics. Nobody can find fault with those. Especially as she is just so lovely.

Coops.
Old 26-08-2014, 00:47   #774

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Especially as she is just so lovely..
She said you are a sweetie .

Do you prefer the concave or convex contours?

Perhaps it's better not answer that
Old 26-08-2014, 00:49   #775
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Only if you want me banned. In which case, join the queue.

Coops.
Old 26-08-2014, 00:53   #776
cruiser

My flooded Gopro has been cleaned and packed in rice for four days. I'm hoping to bring it back to life later today. No response in over five days from Gopro customer service.... If you want to call it that.

Maybe some new pics of the Ultra anchor later today.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 00:56   #777

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Now that is a brave little anchor. It deserves a medal for its valiant efforts

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 01:38   #778
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:

Coops.
If you are referring to me would be so kind as to point me to the posts where I have done that? If not referring to me then - as you were.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 01:49   #779

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

Someone was aking if Manson "Boss" anchors were available in the UK - they are (I purchased one). Just Google "manson boss anchors uk")
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 06:19   #780

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My mermaid went for a dive this afternoon and was thrilled to find this little guy under the Kobra.

The anchor itself was unchanged, but an octopus was sheltering under the fluke.

Very cute, although they do have a tendency to dig out all the sand from under the anchor to make a little more room for themselves.

Note that he has already done some redecorating, dragging a few stones and a shell under the opposite side of the fluke .

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra