Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2013, 09:06   #196

Re: Open Source Anchor Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Should we setup up a shared file repository?

I can immediately setup a shared google drive where we can deposit CAD and variant files for others to modify. Access can be setup tied to email addresses.

Is anyone interested in this?

I for one would love it - especially if we encouraged the proper format for saving files; ie CAD, DWG, Solidworks, Inventor, etc...

Delancey,

As this is your idea, I can setup a google drive right now and give you admin rights?
Foolishsailor, you are to be commended for stepping up to the plate and contributing to the project in a material way! Props, the project thanks you!

Yes to everything. Looks like the open source CAD programs use .dxf.

I think that since we are still in the design development phase of just looking at different concepts that it might a bit counter productive to set up a data base with all these different models. Maybe better to wait to get the rough designs in place before we start to detail it out.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 09:21   #197
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I looked at this early on, some of the oil rigs anchors use bridle attachments so it's not a new design. My version was cut from a piece of pipe. I couldn't figure out why no one was using it for a small boat anchor so I figured there was something wrong with it that I was missing and moved on to other designs. Maybe worth a second look. One thing I like about this fluke design is that the pattern for it is so super simple. You draw out a triangle on a piece of paper and tape the paper to the pipe and make your cut. Any one with a tape measure can make a triangle whatever the angles. Everyone has some paper lying around being lazy, make me an anchor you scrap of paper!
Holy Bejeezus!!,

That is literally exactly what I was thinking of.

Thanks for saving me an evening of work, but now what am I to do this evening?

I will PM you my contact info later.

If anyone on the thread has any ideas on folder structure, file structure and access levels for a data repository let me know.

We are entering the arena of Open Design at this point.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_design

Delancey, possibly we should have a chat about goals as I can help setup an infrastructure for development like you would find at GitHub but for hardware. If we have enough interest perhaps we could get a subforum setup like we have for OpenCPN?

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 09:22   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
Lazy boat, hanging there in your comfortable sling.. Hey, mister travel lift operator, how about a "touch-n-go" on that piece of metal over there? Buy ya a beer!

Beyond the tongue in cheek, there actually would be some "natural engineering" at play here as well. . If the boat weight easily crushes your metal fluke, it's too thin. If it doesn't bend, it's thicker than needed, so go down one size until it does.. After all, if the entire displacement of your boat can barely bend the metal, it should hold :-) Yes, I know this is a point load, depends on fluke area, contact area, etc, etc. Just going back to the hypothetical remote Island "figure sonething out" scenario (although one could argue that if your boat is in the lift, you probably don't need that anchor as badly. ..)
There you go, Travellift. All kinds of potential energy we can harness with one of those. Good idea, keep them coming!
Old 30-10-2013, 09:23   #199

Quote:
Holy Bejeezus!!,

That is literally exactly what I was thinking of.

Thanks for saving me an evening of work, but now what am I to do this evening?

I will PM you my contact info later.

If anyone on the thread has any ideas on folder structure, file structure and access levels for a data repository let me know.

We are entering the arena of Open Design at this point.

See: Open design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Delancey, possibly we should have a chat about goals as I can help setup an infrastructure for development like you would find at GitHub but for hardware. If we have enough interest perhaps we could get a subforum setup like we have for OpenCPN?
Game on!
Old 30-10-2013, 09:40   #200

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Since we are looking for a new design - Is it mad to ask why even have a shank? Why not attach directly to the fluke with chain?
Quote:

The principal would be the same as attaching string to a kite, the chain would split in two very close to the anchow (via a shackel) so that two chains with a specific geomtry that encouraged the anchor to dig in, just like childs kite is angled to the wind.

To ensure the anchor oriented itself you would need it to be convex and with a roll bar. All of which could be bolt on - including the two anchor attachment points.
Anchor flukes dig in because of the shank offset from the fluke’s center gravity (CG).

If you remove the anchor shank and just attach a chain to a flat piece of metal (center or offset) than there would be no forces to push the fluke into the sea bed and start and stay digging.

The anchor fluke would not turn or set. It may just slide on the bottom and flip or tumble over, but would not be able to dig.

Moorings play with this design, but put a long shaft to connect the chain to. This long shaft in essence makes the offset from center gravity allowing the mushroom to dig into the sea bed from any angle of pull on the chain. Of course mooring mushrooms use a lot of weight also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mooring Mushroom.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	69571  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 09:43   #201

Maybe to keep it democratic so everyone feels like they have a say maybe we could do a sort of design competition.

SketchUp is great because it's free so anyone can download it and make their own model. It's easy to learn, there lot's of tutorials on Youtube. It's also nice because there is a 3D viewing program where anybody can look at the models in 3D without learning how to draw.

We set up an account in the SketchUp Warehouse, people send their models to an administrator who puts them in the Wharehouse, we pick a date and everyone votes for their choice in a poll here on CF
Old 30-10-2013, 09:44   #202
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Can you offset this issue of lack of shank pressure by adding an offset lip to the fluke? Bend the lip down as well as possibly making the roll bar not perpendicular to the fluke but Angeles towards the tip of the fluke?

Old 30-10-2013, 09:46   #203
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Maybe to keep it democratic so everyone feels like they have a say maybe we could do a sort of design competition. SketchUp is great because it's free so anyone can download it and make their own model. It's easy to learn, there lot's of tutorials on Youtube. It's also nice because there is a 3D viewing program where anybody can look at the models in 3D without learning how to draw. We set up an account in the SketchUp Warehouse, people send their models to an administrator who puts them in the Wharehouse, we pick a date and everyone votes for their choice in a poll here on CF
Let's skip the warehouse so we can keep control of the project?

Give me a couple of days to research but a checkin/out facility or version faculty like GitHub for 3d design would be fantastic.

Combine that with a subforum? Could we all behave if an open source sub forum was created like OpenCPN?

Old 30-10-2013, 09:47   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Anchor flukes dig in because of the shank offset from the fluke’s center gravity (CG).

If you remove the anchor shank and just attach a chain to a flat piece of metal (center or offset) than there would be no forces to push the fluke into the sea bed and start and stay digging.

The anchor fluke would not turn or set. It may just slide on the bottom and flip or tumble over, but would not be able to dig.

Moorings play with this design, but put a long shaft to connect the chain to. This long shaft in essence makes the offset from center gravity allowing the mushroom to dig into the sea bed from any angle of pull on the chain. Of course mooring mushrooms use a lot of weight also.
Vryhof missed that memo.
Attached Images

Old 30-10-2013, 09:51   #205

Quote:
Can you offset this issue of lack of shank pressure by adding an offset lip to the fluke? Bend the lip down as well as possibly making the roll bar not perpendicular to the fluke but Angeles towards the tip of the fluke?
I think what you are talking about is a "tripping palm" like you see on a Danforth at the back where the shank and fluke connect. What I was thinking at the time I looked at it was maybe you could do a canard at the tip instead.

It's a possibility, I never looked too closely at it. Like I said, maybe worth a second look.
Old 30-10-2013, 09:55   #206

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe to keep it democratic so everyone feels like they have a say maybe we could do a sort of design competition.

SketchUp is great because it's free so anyone can download it and make their own model. It's easy to learn, there lot's of tutorials on Youtube. It's also nice because there is a 3D viewing program where anybody can look at the models in 3D without learning how to draw.

We set up an account in the SketchUp Warehouse, people send their models to an administrator who puts them in the Wharehouse, we pick a date and everyone votes for their choice in a poll here on CF
The problem with picking one CAD (Computer Added Design) system is that all the other users will have to learn it.

A better way would be if everyone drives their own car (CAD) that they know and love and then just exports a .dxf or .igs or .stp or whatever we can all agree on.

Then place that file in a common area for others to play with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File_export.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	69573  
Old 30-10-2013, 09:59   #207

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Vryhof missed that memo.
No, he still has the offset from the center of gravity
Old 30-10-2013, 10:05   #208

Quote:
Could we all behave if an open source sub forum was created like OpenCPN?

If we stay focused on designing an anchor that anyone can make anywhere using readily available materials and common fabrication methods, while at the same time exploiting prior art and making accessible the benefits of the so called new generation anchor design to everyone, then the sky is the limit!
Old 30-10-2013, 10:18   #209
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The problem with picking one CAD (Computer Added Design) system is that all the other users will have to learn it. A better way would be if everyone drives their own car (CAD) that they know and love and then just exports a .dxf or .igs or .stp or whatever we can all agree on. Then place that file in a common area for others to play with.
This is achievable with a good OpenSource platform...

..give me a few days - that's Irish for a week to so - to make sure we have a good online solution for document and version control.

Old 30-10-2013, 10:26   #210

Community Sponsor

Quote:
This is achievable with a good OpenSource platform...

..give me a few days - that's Irish for a week to so - to make sure we have a good online solution for document and version control.
Love it. That will be perfect.
Just point the OS anchor team where we need to be.

Tags
anchor