Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2024, 07:35   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: NO to Strobe anchor lights (please!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
... and fit within the ColRegs for additional lighting when at anchor. ...

No.

The rules says you may use additional working lights or equivalent can be used to illuminate the decks. A strobe does not illuminate the decks. Flashing lights have other specific uses and using a stobe conflicts with those uses. For example, it is not legal to leave your running lights on because of the obvious conflict.

No, a strobe is not a legal anchor light, anywhere COLREGS is recognized. It may be common practice, but that is not the same thing.
Old 12-01-2024, 07:35   #17

I've heard two theories on this:

1) They are afraid their all around mast light will get lost in the stars, and setting it to strobe (distress) is how they can stand out (I guess downlights from spreaders never occurred to them).

2) It serves as a beacon when they have to traverse the dark and scary harbor after dark.

IMHO they take the fun and adventure out of getting back to the boat at night.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 12:27   #18

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I was in Ali Wai recently and saw all kinds of lighting violations. All mixes of lighting on sailboats. less than 50% had the proper lights on for what they were doing. Many motor sailing with tricolor and running light but no steaming light or had anchor light instead of a steaming light.

If you had to tell what a boat was doing by lights alone good luck. Some of these boats were charters with licensed captains too.

Also saw strobe lights on all night while boats were in a slip too.

While I am on it no motoring cones in daylight sails up engine running, obviously under power no wind.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 15:42   #19

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
No it doesn't fit the rules. The rule says "the available working or equivalent light s to illuminate her decks". Additonally, flashing lights are used only to signal vessel manouvers thus a strobe indicates "I'm turning sb, I'm turning port, I'm maneuvering astern" ad infinitum, or when interpreted after sound signals "What the h*** are your intentions?"
Thanks to you, and Thin, for the explanation. Definitely not a working/deck light. However, it’s tri-colour, so not like any navigation light anywhere - I don’t think there’s any confusion. But once we get somewhere where ColRegs are in local legislation and followed by the general population we’ll get rid of the anchor strobe. For now, being seen by all the fishing skiffs running around at night is more important.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 16:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Thanks to you, and Thin, for the explanation. Definitely not a working/deck light. However, it’s tri-colour, so not like any navigation light anywhere - I don’t think there’s any confusion. But once we get somewhere where ColRegs are in local legislation and followed by the general population we’ll get rid of the anchor strobe. For now, being seen by all the fishing skiffs running around at night is more important.
I’d be confused as hell if I came upon you and saw a tri-color strobe in lieu of an anchor lt. I mean by your reasoning, why not ditch all your nav lights and just add a few more strobes or a disco ball. We’ll be able to spot you miles away and I’d for sure steer clear.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 19:43   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've heard it said, in jest, that if you don't know how to tie a knot, tie lots. It must be the same with lights.

If you don't know how to use navigation lights, use lots. All kinds.
Old 12-01-2024, 20:33   #22

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I do wish people would stop using flashing/strobe lights.

My preferred way is to put LED Tiki Torches at all 4 corners of the boat. They provide some illumination to show the size and location. They aren't to bright and they don't seem to disturb others. They recharge themselves. We run an approved anchor light (0.1A LED) with a photosensor so you can just leave the breaker on and it will turn on and off as necessary. Our anchor light is at the top of the mast, so easily overlooked by nearby boats.

We have other choices as well: Spreader lights, underwater lights and cockpit lighting. It all depends on how much we want to be seen.
Old 12-01-2024, 20:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I've heard it said, in jest, that if you don't know how to tie a knot, tie lots. It must be the same with lights.

If you don't know how to use navigation lights, use lots. All kinds.
Regarding deck level flashing lights…I’ve had this conversation before, they always say…well I don’t want someone running into us…so we do everything to minimise the chance.

Masttop strobes in a nice protected anchorage at night….happens fairly often …I have one but never use it…. It seems to be that if you have one and are an idiot, you like to have it on at night in the anchorage.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 21:04   #24

Boat: Herreshoff 36

Just another possible explanation and not trying to defend the offenders:

I have one of these one in three masthead light, where you change from tricolour to 360 white to strobe by switching the light off for 3 seconds. If I leave it on on anchor light function for days (photo sensor will switch the light on and off) and someone accidentally turns it off and on again, it might switch it to the next function. You don't realise it for a few hours and you are immediately the outcast of the society.
ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 00:13   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
I’d be confused as hell if I came upon you and saw a tri-color strobe in lieu of an anchor lt. I mean by your reasoning, why not ditch all your nav lights and just add a few more strobes or a disco ball. We’ll be able to spot you miles away and I’d for sure steer clear.
Had a similar problem when a cruise ship closed on our position years ago. Couldn't see the navigation lights because all the deck lights were on. Looked like a christmas tree. Thankfully he was transmitting AIS so we could watch his progress towards us.

Used to carry and use a strobe when diving. Particularly useful when the visibility was poor to see your buddy and they see you.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 02:55   #26

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Had a similar problem when a cruise ship closed on our position years ago. Couldn't see the navigation lights because all the deck lights were on. Looked like a christmas tree. Thankfully he was transmitting AIS so we could watch his progress towards us.

Used to carry and use a strobe when diving. Particularly useful when the visibility was poor to see your buddy and they see you.
That is known problem with the party boats in all sizes and shapes. I'd hope some day one brave CG officer (or whatever the name in whatever country) would be brave enough and give tickets or at least orders to turn down at least part of the lights too close to nav lights.. With cruise ships it happens (due their scheduals) they ziczak or go rounds waiting for the morning to go in a harbour and you have no clue their headings unless you stare with binoculars to find right green or red in the christmass tree..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 14:35   #27

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
You obviously haven’t read my original post. We have a masthead 360* white light - that is our anchor light. We hoist an anchor ball as the day signal. In addition, we have got the tri-colour strobe. If all that causes you to steer well clear, job done.

Actually, a disco ball would be good additional light source too. Hmmm.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 06:37   #28

Boat: Bavaria 36'

How do you explain to your insurance company when someone damages your boat when you are hit and not using the correct IRPCS at anchor light?
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 06:43   #29

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

The use of strobes has also become a problem in some of the anchorages in the Bahamas.

Maybe all the other boats should just hail “the boat with the flashing strobe, are you in need of assistance? Is there an emergency on board”?

After a couple dozen calls, maybe they’ll turn it off???

If not, maybe a dinghy circle in the middle of the night…. A couple dozen dinghy’s circling the strobe boat yelling is everyone ok.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 06:58   #30

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I haven't seen anyone using a strobe for an anchor light, but I do find all the blue underwater lighting popular with powerboaters very annoying. I never understand why some want to ruin beautiful natural places with their own graffiti, and chances are they are inside watching TV anyway.

Tags
anchor, lease